ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Netherlands

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

dirtgambit
Newly Registered

Netherlands

Post by dirtgambit » Tue May 14, 2019 1:18 pm

Hi, my mum was born in Holland in 1960, she would like to visit again but she only has her marriage certificate as proof of identity and bank statements etc, how can she get her certificate or visit Holland as the passport people says she needs more identification to get a passport.

secret.simon

Re: Netherlands

Post by secret.simon » Tue May 14, 2019 2:04 pm

A marriage certificate is not proof of identity. A passport of a country and/or a government issued identity card are proofs of identity.

Did your mother have Dutch citizenship in the past? Birth in the Netherlands does not confer Dutch citizenship. Was either parent of hers a Dutch citizen?

Be aware that Dutch citizenship can be lost by residence outside the Netherlands for ten years, if one does not have a Dutch passport.

What other nationalities does your mother hold and where does she reside?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

dirtgambit
Newly Registered

Post by dirtgambit » Tue May 14, 2019 2:28 pm

She moved over to the UK with her dutch father and british mother when she was 10, she has a british NI number but that's about it, I don't think she has ever had british citizenship, I know for a fact she has never had a passport or travelled to any other country since moving to the UK. I understand citizenship can be lost but she doesn't mind but would like the birth certificate in her possession so we can move forward, even if she had to get a british passport it doesn't matter, as long as she can travel to Holland again.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue May 14, 2019 3:05 pm

If she knows where she was born, she can contact the local municipality to obtain her birth certificate.
Apply for a birth certificate wrote:A birth certificate provides written proof that your birth is recorded in the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages. You can request a copy of the certificate in Dutch or as a multiple-language (international) extract. You request this in the municipality where you were born.
If she was born in the 1960s to a British mother outside the UK, you are correct that she will most likely not have British citizenship. She can register as a British citizen on Form UKM and following her registration apply for a British passport.

As for proof of identity, does she have a driver's licence? Or any government-issued ID with her photograph on it?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

dirtgambit
Newly Registered

Post by dirtgambit » Tue May 14, 2019 3:29 pm

The local municipal are requesting proper identification, and she doesn't have nothing at all, ive been doing some research today and it might be better applying for UK citizenship. She doesn't own any drivers licence or anything with her photograph on it, its a right state of affairs but in a way its her own fault for not sorting this out earlier.
She s not going to appreciate having to take a Life in the UK test after living in this shit hole for 50 odd years.

thanks for the advice

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue May 14, 2019 3:39 pm

Form UKM does not require either a LITUK or an English test. And the fee is only £80 (the cost of the citizenship ceremony).

However, it requires her (and her mother's) birth certificate and her parents' marriage certificate. So, a bit of a Catch-22 situation.

dirtgambit
Newly Registered

Post by dirtgambit » Tue May 14, 2019 3:49 pm

Im feeling its a catch 22 as well, ill need to do some more digging, shes got a NI number, paid taxes all her life, has a bank account etc, they must be able to give her some sort of identification to get her birth cert.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Tue May 14, 2019 5:53 pm

dirtgambit wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 3:49 pm
Im feeling its a catch 22 as well, ill need to do some more digging, shes got a NI number, paid taxes all her life, has a bank account etc, they must be able to give her some sort of identification to get her birth cert.
Has she never needed ID all her life?

What did she show when she got married?

She must have had a passport when she moved from the Netherlands to the UK, or maybe she was endorsed in one of her parents' passport. Her parents must have had her birth certificate.
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

dirtgambit
Newly Registered

Post by dirtgambit » Tue May 14, 2019 6:36 pm

The uk is bad for identity, ive never had to show any to anyone and im 40 years old, perhaps a drivers licence to a police officer a few times but my mother doesn't drive, almost off the grid. the rest of the family have passports etc the funny thing is her sister was born in the UK and then grew up in Holland so her sister has a british and dutch passport, my mum born in Holland and grew up in the UK cant get any passport cos she cant prove who she is to get her birth certificate, then you get all these people from other countries just swanning into the UK and getting citizenship willy nilly.

She got married in 1978, you could get referees to vouch for your identity at that time, she got her doctor and school teacher to do it.

rooibos
Member of Standing

Post by rooibos » Wed May 15, 2019 8:15 am

Does she speak any Dutch at all? If so, there is a free legal advice all over NL called Juridish Loket:
https://www.juridischloket.nl/

They also do an email service:
https://www.juridischloket.nl/email-ons/