ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

finnish national seeks british nationality

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

rogerroger
Member of Standing

finnish national seeks british nationality

Post by rogerroger » Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:56 pm

Hi
A friend of mine on a finnish passport has been working in the UK for the last 2 years. He wants to apply for british nationality.

does he need to acquire indefintie leave before he can apply for nationality or is there a fast track process for EU nationals?

how long does he need to work in the UK before he can apply for british nationality?

John

Post by John » Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:52 pm

Roger, your friend needs to check this out but I think that a Finnish national is unable to hold dual nationality. That is, if he becomes British he will cease to be Finnish.

He still wants to proceed? He should first download and have a read of GUIDELINES FOR MAKING SETTLEMENT APPLICATIONS BY EUROPEAN NATIONALS AND THEIR FAMILY MEMBERS

(At the present time the IND website is very slow! Patience required!)

After he has worked in the UK for at least four years he needs to complete a form EEC2 to get ILR in his passport. Then after he has held that ILR in his passport for at least a year he can then apply for naturalisation as British.
John

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:59 pm

thanks for the info
i checked and found out that finns can be dual passport holders.
i think the legislation has recently been changed

i tried to check out the link, but after quite some time, it says the cocument holds no data.

i was under the impression that EU nationals would have preferential treatment in the UK, i mean some thing like 3 years of working in the UK would give them ILR something like the settlement case.

John

Post by John » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:11 pm

Roger, that slow loading document reads :-
GUIDELINES FOR MAKING SETTLEMENT APPLICATIONS BY EUROPEAN NATIONALS AND THEIR FAMILY MEMBERS
Nationals of European Economic Area (EEA) states who are exercising a Treaty right in the United Kingdom, and who have exercised Treaty rights for 4 years in a capacity other than that of student, may apply for permanent residence. To qualify they will though need to have been issued with a Residence Permit. EEA nationals are not required to hold a Residence Permit whilst engaging in economic activity in the UK but to comply with the rules they will need to have been issued with a permit before they can qualify for permanent residence. It is though open to EEA nationals to apply both for permanent residence and the issuing of a Residence Permit at the same time.
The exercising of Treaty rights for the purposes of obtaining permanent residence are defined as:
Employment
Self-employment
Economic self-sufficiency
Retirement - (i.e. people who have been economically active)
Incapacity - (i.e. people who are incapacitated / permanently incapacitate and thus unable to pursue employment)
APPLICANTS SHOULD SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING:
EVIDENCE OF NATIONALITY:
They should submit either their valid passport or a valid national identity card as evidence of their nationality.
EVIDENCE OF THE EXERCISING OF TREATY RIGHTS FOR 4 YEARS:
If they are in employment they should submit evidence of this. The evidence should be P60 tax certificates covering the relevant period of 4 years, employer’s letter confirming employment over the relevant period. For individuals who are self-employed documentary evidence from the Inland Revenue confirming the payment of tax over the relevant period should be submitted.
If they have been economically self-sufficient they should submit evidence of funds in the form of bank accounts covering the relevant period. If they are economically self-sufficient by virtue of their spouse’s employment they should send evidence of this employment in the same form as stated above.
If they are retired they should submit documents confirming that they have been receiving a pension during the relevant period.
If they have been unable to engage in economic activity due to incapacity they should submit a doctor’s letter or medical report as confirmation of this. The doctor’s letter or medical report should state if the incapacity is likely to be permanent.
If the European national has not already been issue with a Residence Permit they should also submit 2 passport sized photos of themselves and evidence that they are currently exercising a Treaty right, i.e. 3 recent wage slips.
SPOUSE’S OR DEPENDANT FAMILY MEMBERS OF EEA NATIONALS WHO ARE EITHER EEA NATIONALS THEMSELVES OR NATIONALS OF OTHER COUNTRIES MAY ALSO APPLY FOR PERMANENT RESIDENCE IF THEY HAVE LIVED IN THE UNITED KINGDOM WITH THEIR EUROPEAN FAMILY MEMBER FOR 4 YEARS.
They should submit their passports.
All the relevant documents along with a covering letter applying for permanent residence should be sent to:
European Casework
Immigration & Nationality Directorate
Home Office
18th Floor
Lunar House
40 Wellesley Road
Croydon
CR9
-: with apologies, I am not going to tidy that up.

Naturalisation as British ... basics .... spouse of British Citizen can apply after three years in the UK (and ILR held) .... for everyone else the period is after five years (with at least one year of holding ILR).

So in that sense EEA citizens are treated no differently than non-EEA citizens, but of course EEA citizens do not need a visa or work permit to enter the UK in the first place.
John