ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 4 dependant timing

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

greenspan
Newly Registered

Tier 4 dependant timing

Post by greenspan » Thu May 16, 2019 3:43 pm

Hi all,

I am pursuing a doctorate degree at a UK institution and need to extend my studies. My Tier 4 visa expires in December 2020. But my dependant's visa, who is with me in UK currently, ends in August 2020. As far as I know, I can only apply for extension up to 3 months before the visa expires. So, the earliest I can apply is September 30. But at that time, technically my dependant would have overstayed and the visa expired.

Does the 3-month rule apply only for new courses? I am continuing on with my current course, and my institution is happy to issue a new CAS. But I am just confused with this gap in visa expiration dates and how to manage it. Ideally, of course, I would prefer to avoid my partner leaving the UK and then coming back. Thanks in advance for any advice!

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Tier 4 dependant timing

Post by sah10406 » Fri May 17, 2019 10:36 am

greenspan wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 3:43 pm
As far as I know, I can only apply for extension up to 3 months before the visa expires.
Where are you reading this? It sounds more like a policy at your university than anything to do with the immigration rules. Although given that your university is happy to issue the CAS, this suggests there is no such policy. Can you clarify?
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.