ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Proof of Entitlement to NHS treatment

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

miranda108
Newly Registered

Proof of Entitlement to NHS treatment

Post by miranda108 » Mon May 20, 2019 10:54 am

Dear all,
A friend of mine who is currently receiving in-patient treatment in hospital has been asked by the Hospital's "Overseas visitor division" to prove his entitlement to NHS treatment by sending copies of his passport with a permanent residence visa, as WELL AS copies of at least 2 utility bills.

He has a mental problem and lives with his parents so he does not have utility bills.

He has a British passport and his parents are getting ready to send the passport copy, but my question is :

Is it not unlawful for the Hospital to demand proof from him just because he has a foreign name?

How dare they assume he is not entitled?

Is it not what they did to the Windrush people, and look at the mess the govt landed up in, thanks to Theresa May's malevolence and stupidity.

Unless they are asking EVERY patient to show proof (including all the white Anglo-Saxon folk), is it not ILLEGAL and DISCRIMINATORY?

How should such a request be dealt with?

I have advised the family to hold off on sending his passport showing entitlement until I get some solid advice
as I find the request itself highly offensive.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Proof of Entitlement to NHS treatment

Post by CR001 » Mon May 20, 2019 11:08 am

Is it not unlawful for the Hospital to demand proof from him just because he has a foreign name?
No.
With the 1000s who come here as visitors and use the NHS, owing the service billions of pounds, they have a right to ask anyone to confirm.
Unless they are asking EVERY patient to show proof (including all the white Anglo-Saxon folk), is it not ILLEGAL and DISCRIMINATORY?
I am British and also get asked many times and simply show proof of address and my British passport and I am white, not UK born.
How should such a request be dealt with?
Why is it such an issue?? Simply submit the proof.
I have advised the family to hold off on sending his passport showing entitlement until I get some solid advice
as I find the request itself highly offensive.
It is usually only those who have something to hide that would get 'offended' or 'defensive' if asked to prove their identity. You do realise that if he doesn't prove his entitlement to free NHS services, they can charge 150% of the cost.

general-uk-immigration-forum/review-of- ... l#p1459754
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon May 20, 2019 11:15 am

Have you considered asking the hospital why they do not consider the person to not be "ordinarily resident" in the UK, rather than assuming that they are discriminating?
miranda108 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 10:54 am
They may not be assuming. They have access to his medical and possibly other government records that have raised doubts regarding his ordinary residence in the UK.

It may be that s/he has a long-term condition, but no NHS records, suggesting that s/he has not been to doctors in this country.

Does your friend have history of claiming benefits in this country? Government departments (and the NHS is probably the largest government department) share data, and it is possible that they can see that your friend has not claimed any benefits, again suggesting that the person is not "ordinarily resident" in the UK.
Department of Health guidance on Ordinary Residence wrote:It will not be necessary to use this tool for each patient, but only when there are doubts about a patient’s entitlement to free NHS hospital treatment and when their ordinary residence (OR) status is not immediately clear.
Apart from his British passport, s/he will also need to prove "ordinary residence" in the UK. Even British citizens who reside outside the UK are subject to the "ordinary residence" tests.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon May 20, 2019 2:29 pm

This document maybe of interest in the context:
NHS entitlements: migrant health guide
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/nhs-entitle ... alth-guide

It should be noted that NHS entitlement is residency based - and British citizens resident abroad cannot just turn up for treatment.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.