ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Register a Birth or Apply for Passport

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

AlecJoe
Newly Registered
Philippines

Register a Birth or Apply for Passport

Post by AlecJoe » Mon May 20, 2019 11:46 pm

Hello

I am British and my wife is American and we in 2017 had a baby in the Philippines. I have been looking online at registering the babys birth in the UK but it seems extraordinarily expensive, over 200gbp. But gov.uk says we can still apply for a the babys UK passport WITHOUT registering her birth, and it is also much cheaper, so does anyone know what the purpose is of registering her birth in the first place and is it necessary?

Thank you

secret.simon

Re: Register a Birth or Apply for Passport

Post by secret.simon » Tue May 21, 2019 2:50 am

AlecJoe wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 11:46 pm
is it necessary?
AlecJoe wrote:
does anyone know what the purpose is of registering her birth in the first place
The birth is registered and recorded in the relevant national records in the UK and that may come in handy in the future. It is also recommended if the acquisition of British citizenship by the child at birth is unclear or if a paper trail is required for future purposes.
AlecJoe wrote:
gov.uk says we can still apply for a the babys UK passport WITHOUT registering her birth, and it is also much cheaper,
Provided that you are a British citizen otherwise than by descent (either born in the UK or naturalised as a British citizen in the UK), the child is a British citizen by descent and you can apply for a British passport for the child directly.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.