ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

TIER 4 Visa cancelled when I choose to do research outside UK after 1 year classes

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

samwolverinee
Newly Registered
United Arab Emirates

TIER 4 Visa cancelled when I choose to do research outside UK after 1 year classes

Post by samwolverinee » Thu May 02, 2019 9:48 am

Hi,

I had my TIER 4 visa for 2 years of period i.e from 2018 - 2020. After completing first year classes in end of 2018 I went back to home country. And guided by the tutor I choose to do research outside UK. I thought my current visa will be valid until I submit my final dissertation. But the university immediately requested for cancellation my TIER 4 visa after two months of stay in home country.

Is that possible to get back to UK again in same TIER 4 Visa? I haven't received any notification still from UK Visa office?

What I need to do?

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: TIER 4 Visa cancelled when I choose to do research outside UK after 1 year classes

Post by sah10406 » Fri May 03, 2019 8:49 am

samwolverinee wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 9:48 am
Is that possible to get back to UK again in same TIER 4 Visa? I haven't received any notification still from UK Visa office?
No.
samwolverinee wrote:
What I need to do?
Ask the university for a CAS for a new visa application.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

Peted
Brazil

Re: TIER 4 Visa cancelled when I choose to do research outside UK after 1 year classes

Post by Peted » Sun May 19, 2019 2:50 pm

samwolverinee wrote:
Hi,

I had my TIER 4 visa for 2 years of period i.e from 2018 - 2020. After completing first year classes in end of 2018 I went back to home country. And guided by the tutor I choose to do research outside UK. I thought my current visa will be valid until I submit my final dissertation. But the university immediately requested for cancellation my TIER 4 visa after two months of stay in home country.
To help those who read and are concerned (like me), could you please answer: Why did the university withdraw your sponsorship? Were you supposed to attend classes in the UK while you were in your home country for an extended period of time? Or was your time abroad part of your studies (e.g. collect data for research)? Did you inform your temporary change of study location to the visa compliance team at your university beforehand, so that they could report the correct information to the UKVI?

I'm a PhD student, and will have to be away from the UK for nearly 6 months, on a field trip, collecting data from a community in my home country. My visa is valid until 2022, and I'll return in 2020. The University says it has to be reported to the UKVI, but just as a temporary change of study location. They say it won't affect my Tier 4 leave, and that reporting is necessary so that I have no problems at border control when return. But cases like this one (and other similar ones I have read in the forum) make me believe mistakes are very often made (either by the universities, reporting temporary changes of study location and mixing it with withdrawals or interruptions, which lead to Tier 4 visa curtailment...or mistakes at UKVI, where the university report is misunderstood and processed in a different way).

Does anyone know what I can do in order to find out if the university has reported the correct information, and that my visa will not be curtailed?

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Mon May 20, 2019 11:47 am

Peted wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 2:50 pm
Does anyone know what I can do in order to find out if the university has reported the correct information, and that my visa will not be curtailed?
Just ask them. It's a Tier 4 sponsor's choice how they manage sponsorship of students who are based overseas for part of their course.

The Tier 4 visa will only be curtailed if the university withdraws Tier 4 sponsorship while you are no longer attending in the UK. Many universities decide to do this, because it just logistically too difficult to monitor someone's attendance if they are based overseas. When such a student needs to return to the UK to resume their studies here, the university will sponsor them for a new visa. The only issue for the student is another application fee, which is annoying but not the end of the world.

However it appears that your university does not intend to do this, but that they intend to continue with your Tier 4 sponsorship and to monitor your attendance somehow. You need to check how they will be doing that, perhaps by an expected regular contact with you.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

Peted
Brazil

Post by Peted » Mon May 20, 2019 4:36 pm

[/quote]
However it appears that your university does not intend to do this, but that they intend to continue with your Tier 4 sponsorship and to monitor your attendance somehow. You need to check how they will be doing that, perhaps by an expected regular contact with you.
[/quote]

Thank you Sah10406. Yes, they require that I maintain regular long-distance (e-mail, skype) with my supervisor about my data collection during this time abroad, and regularly report everything on my online platform, in addition to re-enrol (confirming my continuation as a PhD student) whenever required during this time. I just hope they report the right information, and that UKVI does not make any mistake either (like thinking I've interrupted).

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Mon May 20, 2019 8:08 pm

Peted wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 4:36 pm
I just hope they report the right information, and that UKVI does not make any mistake either (like thinking I've interrupted).
I don't know why you think either thing would happen, but if you have any concerns I'm sure the immigration compliance manager at your university can advise.

Peted
Brazil

Post by Peted » Mon May 20, 2019 8:43 pm

sah10406 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:08 pm
Peted wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 4:36 pm
I just hope they report the right information, and that UKVI does not make any mistake either (like thinking I've interrupted).
I don't know why you think either thing would happen
Because of samwolverinee's case, at the top of this topic. He/she seem to have been advised by his tutor at university to conduct research abroad, and surprisingly (as far as I understood) got his sponsorship withdrawn. I'm probably overthinking it anyway. Thank you!

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Tue May 21, 2019 6:28 am

Peted wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:43 pm
Because of samwolverinee's case, at the top of this topic. He/she seem to have been advised by his tutor at university to conduct research abroad, and surprisingly (as far as I understood) got his sponsorship withdrawn. I'm probably overthinking it anyway. Thank you!
You are overthinking it. It may have been a surprise to OP, but as explained in my previous reply it was highly likely to be the university's normal policy to withdraw sponsorship while a student is overseas, not anyone's mistake. If anyone made a mistake, it was OP for not checking before they went.