ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel documentation options (limbo between citizenship ceremony and British Passport)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Nerazzuri

Travel documentation options (limbo between citizenship ceremony and British Passport)

Post by Nerazzuri » Sun May 19, 2019 11:17 am

What can one do in this scenario:

You've just had your citizenship ceremony, but you now have to travel within 5 days (not enough time for your new British Passport to get back to you based on normal application timescales) and whilst you've applied for a passport online, you've not sent in your supporting document (citizenship certificate and foreign passport) yet. You still have your BRP card, but you've been told to destroy that immediately and return it to UKVI.

Is it possible to call up HMPO to ask for an emergency passport appointment?

Is it possible to travel whilst holding the old BRP with an intention to destroy and return it in 2 weeks time?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: Travel documentation options (limbo between citizenship ceremony and British Passport)

Post by CULLINAN » Sun May 19, 2019 12:33 pm

Nerazzuri wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 11:17 am
What can one do in this scenario:

You've just had your citizenship ceremony, but you now have to travel within 5 days (not enough time for your new British Passport to get back to you based on normal application timescales) and whilst you've applied for a passport online, you've not sent in your supporting document (citizenship certificate and foreign passport) yet. You still have your BRP card, but you've been told to destroy that immediately and return it to UKVI.

Is it possible to call up HMPO to ask for an emergency passport appointment?

Is it possible to travel whilst holding the old BRP with an intention to destroy and return it in 2 weeks time?
The BRP is invalid now. You cannot use that to travel.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

Casa

Re: Travel documentation options (limbo between citizenship ceremony and British Passport)

Post by Casa » Sun May 19, 2019 1:00 pm

Also there is no 'fast track' option when applying for a first British passport. Regarding timescale:

"It should take around 6 weeks to get your first UK adult passport, but it can take longer"

Did you submit your online application before you attended your citizenship ceremony :?:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Nerazzuri

Post by Nerazzuri » Sun May 19, 2019 2:04 pm

Casa wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 1:00 pm
Also there is no 'fast track' option when applying for a first British passport. Regarding timescale:

"It should take around 6 weeks to get your first UK adult passport, but it can take longer"

Did you submit your online application before you attended your citizenship ceremony :?:
No. I'm not aware that was possible.

hamalt66
Member of Standing

Post by hamalt66 » Sun May 19, 2019 4:16 pm

Casa wrote:
Is it actually possible to submit first passport application online before the ceremony?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun May 19, 2019 4:19 pm

hamalt66 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 4:16 pm
Casa wrote:
Is it actually possible to submit first passport application online before the ceremony?
No it is not!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun May 19, 2019 4:22 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 4:19 pm
hamalt66 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 4:16 pm
Casa wrote:
No it is not!!
No, as CR001 has confirmed. My question was to clarify that you hadn't applied before you qualified. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

bookerw100
Member of Standing

Post by bookerw100 » Mon May 20, 2019 12:03 pm

I was in a similar position, if you ring the HMPO office directly rather than the call centre mailine they are generally much more helpful. Just google the particular office's number and speak to them. Even though they say 6 weeks when I rang them , i had BP within 2 working days of calling them, although I had applied online and sent documents 8 working days before . Appreciate may not be useful to you as need it within 5 days, but you never know

the only thing you can do, which I don't recommend, is leave using your foreign passport and try to enter using BRP, airlines dont know they are invalid so only possible issue will be fine at the UK border. Of course that is not something that is advised to do but this might be your only option if its absolutely critical to travel.

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Mon May 20, 2019 12:20 pm

When you apply for your first British passport, you need to send your current passport to them which they will return to you later. I am not sure how you are saying you can travel as you will have no passports
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

bookerw100
Member of Standing

Post by bookerw100 » Tue May 21, 2019 1:39 pm

Zimba wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 12:20 pm
When you apply for your first British passport, you need to send your current passport to them which they will return to you later. I am not sure how you are saying you can travel as you will have no passports
I assumed OP has not submitted documents yet..if this is incorrect then apologies.