ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling within EU on spouse residence permit

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Samar85
India

Travelling within EU on spouse residence permit

Post by Samar85 » Mon May 20, 2019 6:58 pm

I am the non-EEA wife of a UK citizen. I have a biometric residence permit which says ‘spouse’ on it.

We are planning a holiday to Holland. On Dutch embassy website it says that visitor visa is not required for people holding a residence permit on which is written that they are a family member of UK citizen, if they are travelling with that family member.

My interpretation is that this means I can travel to Holland without the need for a holiday visa, as I will be travelling with my UK citizen husband and my residence permit says ‘spouse’.

I wanted to confirm if anybody else has been in this situation and did not require a visa.

Thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Travelling within EU on spouse residence permit

Post by CR001 » Mon May 20, 2019 7:18 pm

We are planning a holiday to Holland. On Dutch embassy website it says that visitor visa is not required for people holding a residence permit on which is written that they are a family member of UK citizen, if they are travelling with that family member.
No, it is not a 'family member of a UK citizen'. You don't need a Schengen visa if you have a residence permit that states Family Member of an EU Citizen, ie. not UK EU citizen and a residence card issued under the EEA/EU Directive.
My interpretation is that this means I can travel to Holland without the need for a holiday visa, as I will be travelling with my UK citizen husband and my residence permit says ‘spouse’.
You need a Schengen visa as your visa is issued under the UK immigration rules and not the EEA/EU Directive EU Family Member Residence Card.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon May 20, 2019 8:52 pm

Samar85 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 6:58 pm
they are a family member of UK citizen
Not "family member of a UK citizen", but "Family Member of a Union Citizen". And those words must be physically written on the face of the Residence Permit/Card.

Such cards are only issued to family members of non-British EEA citizens resident in the UK under EU law. Family members of British citizens need to apply for a Schengen visa if travelling by air.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Samar85
India

Post by Samar85 » Tue May 21, 2019 9:38 pm

Ah, that makes sense. Not the situation I was hoping for as it would be much easier to not have to apply for the visa! But I’m thankful for your reply and will make the application.

Thanks again