ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Stamp meaning on passport?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

masterboy123
Member of Standing
Ireland

Stamp meaning on passport?

Post by masterboy123 » Thu May 23, 2019 10:55 am

I have a stamp on my passport which says G4 on top corner. Does it indicate it's Stamp4? :?:

Thanks

Virgo
Ireland

Re: Stamp meaning on passport?

Post by Virgo » Thu May 23, 2019 11:12 am

The one you have on your GNIB card that's the one which you are holding right now. I don't know why you have G4 on the corner.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu May 23, 2019 11:23 am

masterboy123 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 10:55 am
I have a stamp on my passport which says G4 on top corner. Does it indicate it's Stamp4? :?:

Thanks
Yes.
There’s no need to open a separate thread.

masterboy123
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by masterboy123 » Thu May 23, 2019 11:24 am

Issue is I haven't received GNIB card yet, its gone for printing and will take 3 weeks to come back. And I want to show my employer that I have Stamp 4 and I don't need work permit.

Virgo wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 11:12 am
The one you have on your GNIB card that's the one which you are holding right now. I don't know why you have G4 on the corner.

markem
Mood:
New Zealand

Post by markem » Thu May 23, 2019 12:14 pm

masterboy123 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 10:55 am
Yes, that's a stamp 4. There are a few different versions. My current stamp says "No. 4", and an older one has G4.
Timeline threads here:
2020 /
2019 / 2018 / 2017 / 2016

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu May 23, 2019 12:55 pm

masterboy123 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 11:24 am
Issue is I haven't received GNIB card yet, its gone for printing and will take 3 weeks to come back. And I want to show my employer that I have Stamp 4 and I don't need work permit.

Virgo wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 11:12 am
Your employer has no right to view your GNIB card. You just show your stamp page on your passport to your employer.

masterboy123
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by masterboy123 » Thu May 23, 2019 2:07 pm

Thanks everyone :D

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu May 23, 2019 7:21 pm

littlerr wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 12:55 pm

Your employer has no right to view your GNIB card. You just show your stamp page on your passport to your employer.
That is not correct, the Employer needs to be shown the GNIB, to know the type of permission you have.

Passport only stamped by immigration officer to say you have permission. The nature of the permission is not stated.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

masterboy123
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by masterboy123 » Thu May 23, 2019 9:31 pm

Immigration officer told me to tell employer that IRP will arrive after 2 weeks and in the interim show them the stamp on passport.
Obie wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 7:21 pm
littlerr wrote:

That is not correct, the Employer needs to be shown the GNIB, to know the type of permission you have.

Passport only stamped by immigration officer to say you have permission. The nature of the permission is not stated.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu May 23, 2019 10:04 pm

Obie wrote:

Not sure where you got this information, but the nature of permission and what they are allowed to do are clearly stated in the stamp, and it should be the only legal source that an employer can request to view. An IRP/GNIB card can only be viewed on request by a member of Garda or an immigration officer.

In fact, INIS has explicitly mentioned on their website:
The stamp in your passport is your evidence of your immigration status in the State. This stamp is sufficient for applying for a Re Entry visa and, if appropriate, for taking up employment.
The OP here got an old style of Stamp 4 ("G/4"), which bears the wording "Permitted to remain in Ireland until XX/XX/XXXX". The wording is indeed not very clear - That's why they have a new stamp since two years ago. I'm a bit surprised that the old style stamp is still in use.

The current style of Stamp 4 ("No. 4") will state "Permitted to remain in Ireland until XX/XX/XXXX. Employment Permit not required."

As a comparison, a Stamp 1 will indicate "Permitted to remain in Ireland on conditions that the holder does not enter employment unless the employer has obtained a permit, does not engage in any business or profession without the permission of the Minister for Justice and does not remain later than XX/XX/XXXX".

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu May 23, 2019 10:16 pm

masterboy123 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 9:31 pm
Immigration officer told me to tell employer that IRP will arrive after 2 weeks and in the interim show them the stamp on passport.
Obie wrote:
littlerr wrote:

Well it use to be the case, that the stamp is only affixed in a passport once the GNIB or IRP has been granted and is being issued to the recipient.

I was not aware a stamp is issued before the IRP.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu May 23, 2019 10:22 pm

Obie wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 10:16 pm
Well it use to be the case, that the stamp is only affixed in a passport once the GNIB or IRP has been granted and is being issued to the recipient.
Hmm I wasn't aware of that. I've been in Ireland for 10 years. At least in Dublin, you get your GNIB card and the stamp together on the same day - you just need to wait for like 2 hours in the Burgh Quay office. In other places it may be a bit different?

Since the introduction of IRP last year, no matter where you live, you get your stamp in the passport right away (although in Dublin office you still have to wait for like an hour...)
IRP is now being printed in a central location and mailed to each person's home address or local garda station depending on whether you live in Dublin or not. It can take 3 weeks or longer.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu May 23, 2019 10:43 pm

That is interesting but a client I worked for, was informed by an immigration officer in Meath that a stamp will not be affixed on his passport until when he is collecting his IRP.

So there may will be a variation in practices around the 26 counties.

Incidentally I have been living and working in Ireland for over 10 years also, albeit not continuously.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Fri May 24, 2019 12:45 am

Obie wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 10:43 pm
That is interesting but a client I worked for, was informed by an immigration officer in Meath that a stamp will not be affixed on his passport until when he is collecting his IRP.
That sounds like the immigration officer isn’t aware of the correct process. Maybe it was ambiguous before but since the introduction of IRP, they have to follow the same and correct process.

Reading the registration process here on INIS website, it says that the officer will put a stamp on the passport and return the passport to you before you leave, and then prepares to send the IRP to you which may take a few weeks.

masterboy123
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by masterboy123 » Fri May 24, 2019 6:49 am

Living in Ireland for 6 years and I always did get the stamp first on my passport and now waiting for the IRP as it's processed centrally and will take 3 weeks.
I was living in Dublin before and got GNIB card on the same day. But now I am living outside of Dublin.

Another Q,
Given its only a stamp 4, and not EuFAM, do I need re-entry visa if I travel outside of Ireland?

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri May 24, 2019 5:59 pm

Re entry visa has ceased to exist since 13-05-2019.

masterboy123
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by masterboy123 » Fri May 24, 2019 6:16 pm

Thanks everyone.

Surprised to see I got the old type G/4 stamp on my passport.