ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse visa extension - proof of living together / other questions

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

taffet87
Pakistan

Spouse visa extension - proof of living together / other questions

Post by taffet87 » Tue May 21, 2019 9:12 am

Hi

I am looking to submit my wife's first spouse extension application end of January 2020 (she came to the UK first on 30 July 2017) and her current visa runs until 11 April 2020 (start or biometric residence permit from 04-07-2017). She is on the normal 5-year spouse visa route before people apply for ILR.

A few questions please for the very helpful senior members of the forum / those who know. I know I am asking these some time ahead of the actual application so that I can plan accordingly and avoid issues later.

1. Is there an ideal time to apply for the extension - what are the advantages/disadvantages of applying early (i.e. exactly 30 months after she first entered the UK i.e. end of Jan 2020 vs. leaving it late and applying in April 2020? If I apply to end of Jan 2020 -- will they give the extension visa for 30 months + 2.5 months that would otherwise lapse? This will obviously allow some flexibility in when to apply for ILR after her five years are up since first entry to the UK on spouse visa?

2. I think the earliest i can apply is after 2.5 years of her first entry into the UK to keep the number of extension applications to a minimum- is that correct?

3. in terms of proof of same address - I have 2 council tax bills in both our names from March 2018 and March 2019. I also have joint bank statements (from a Natwest savings account) which are quarterly under both our names... I also have water bills however Thames water only puts one person in the address and mentions the other account holder in the top right of the bill -- is that likely to cause a problem as both names aren't listed in the first line of the address of the bill?

4. To avoid any issues with #3, I was thinking of opening a new joint savings account with a different bank to NatWest... will this cause any issues as I will then be using 2 council tax bills, 2 bank statements from Natwest and 2 bank statements from another bank? Maybe I can send the Water bills as additional backup support as well?

5. Are there any other easy proof of addresses which can be obtained under joint names as I am struggling to find anything else I can sign up to which will show both names in the address?

Thank you very much for any responses in advance and please feel free to ask questions if something isn't clear.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Spouse visa extension - proof of living together / other questions

Post by CR001 » Tue May 21, 2019 9:16 am

1. You get a 2.5 year extension. You should apply no sooner than within 28 days before 30 months residence since date of entry to avoid a shortfall later on for ILR. She can also apply at any time before her visa expires.

2. Correct.

3. Any correspondence either in joint names or addressed individually covering the two years before application.

4. It does not have to be only joint name items.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

taffet87
Pakistan

Post by taffet87 » Tue May 21, 2019 9:44 am

CR001 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 9:16 am
1. You get a 2.5 year extension. You should apply no sooner than within 28 days before 30 months residence since date of entry to avoid a shortfall later on for ILR. She can also apply at any time before her visa expires.

2. Correct.

3. Any correspondence either in joint names or addressed individually covering the two years before application.

4. It does not have to be only joint name items.
Thank you very much. A few quick follow-ups, please:

1. So I should apply at the beginning of January 2020? I hadn't realised I can apply 28 days ahead of 30 months in UK so that's great.. and to confirm they will then give a visa longer than standard 30 months to make up for the lapsed months on the previous visa (subject to them processing the application in time)

4. Understood, I just wanted to keep things as simple as possible and give 6 joint documents.

6. New question - my wife has a degree from non-EEA and we got a NARIC statement of comparability as well as English level equivalence which I think was C1 level... she also did IELTS Academic for UK VI with a 7.5 score and her certificate has the unique number required by UKVI. Under the online application now, we can only use one of these -- in the original application for her first-time spouse visa we had sent and mentioned both of these. Which one should we use this time or should we send both and mention the IELTS in additional information? If we enter the non-EEA degree in the application form, it doesn't allow entering any English language test details as it removes those questions automatically.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue May 21, 2019 9:51 am

1. So I should apply at the beginning of January 2020? I hadn't realised I can apply 28 days ahead of 30 months in UK so that's great.. and to confirm they will then give a visa longer than standard 30 months to make up for the lapsed months on the previous visa (subject to them processing the application in time)
The visa extension is for 2.5 years or 30 months only. They occasionally MIGHT grant 30 months plus 28 days but not always.
6. New question - my wife has a degree from non-EEA and we got a NARIC statement of comparability as well as English level equivalence which I think was C1 level... she also did IELTS Academic for UK VI with a 7.5 score and her certificate has the unique number required by UKVI. Under the online application now, we can only use one of these -- in the original application for her first-time spouse visa we had sent and mentioned both of these. Which one should we use this time or should we send both and mention the IELTS in additional information? If we enter the non-EEA degree in the application form, it doesn't allow entering any English language test details as it removes those questions automatically.
You should send both NARIC assessments. You don't need the degree and NARIC and the English test. You only need one.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

taffet87
Pakistan

Post by taffet87 » Tue May 21, 2019 9:54 am

Thank you. Sorry one last very pedantic question:

1. To be clear, if I apply 28 days ahead of 30 months and then they only give a 30 months visa... then when the time for ILR comes - my wife will not have a 5 year residence to apply for ILR - won't this cause issue later? Does this mean it is actually better to apply after the full 30 months are up from first entry in the UK rather than apply 28 days ahead?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue May 21, 2019 9:58 am

She can apply for ILR within 28 days before reaching the 5th anniversary of the date she entered the UK.

Note that you do NOT have to apply on exactly the 28th day before. That is the earliest you can apply.

Also, the date of application is the date you submit and pay online. How long it takes depends on the service you choose and how soon you can get an appointment with UKCVAS Sopra Steria for biometrics.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

taffet87
Pakistan

Post by taffet87 » Tue May 21, 2019 10:16 am

Thank you. I found that when you apply for ILR they do consider you as meeting the qualification period up to 28 days forward so that's great (even if your visa lapses before then).

taffet87
Pakistan

Post by taffet87 » Thu May 23, 2019 3:15 pm

Another questions - do you have to be in the UK when you submit the application online or can you do it whilst abroad on holiday as well for e.g.?

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Thu May 23, 2019 5:38 pm

taffet87 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 3:15 pm
Another questions - do you have to be in the UK when you submit the application online or can you do it whilst abroad on holiday as well for e.g.?
Usually after submitting flr m extension application travelling outside is equivalent of withdrawing the application. Therefore, it won't be allowed from outside UK.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.