ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Transferring ILR visa to Biometric Residence Permit

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Geheime
Newly Registered
United States of America

Transferring ILR visa to Biometric Residence Permit

Post by Geheime » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:42 pm

Hello. I am in the process of applying for a Biometric Residence Permit (no time limit). I have had an Indefinite Leave to Remain visa since 2010, and the visa is currently in my expired passport. The passport expired in 2012, and I wasn't aware of the need to transfer the ILR visa to a BRP until a few days ago. My UK Visas and Immigration document checklist asks for both a "Current document showing your right to stay in the UK" and an "Original document showing grant of settlement, such as a vignette, passport or RON 60 Letter". The only document that I have ever received that shows my right to stay in the UK is the ILR visa in my expired passport, so I don't know what separate "current" document is being referred to. Does anyone know what this "current" document might be and if it's actually necessary for my BRP application?

Heidi82
Newly Registered
South Africa

Re: Transferring ILR visa to Biometric Residence Permit

Post by Heidi82 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:47 pm

Oh gosh, Im pretty much in the same boat. I want to obtain my citizenship however need a valid document for the b1 test. The biometeric permit would be the obvious option. But currently looking for answers regarding the transfer.

evelynl
Newly Registered

Post by evelynl » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:44 pm

Hi Geheime, I am in a similar dilemma as you - don't have the original document showing grant of settlement. Have you had any joy in resolving this yet? Thanks.

RFC1795
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by RFC1795 » Fri May 17, 2019 2:35 pm

Same problem here, Permanent Residence Card (expires Jul 19) in my passport (expired 2016), trying to get it converted to BRP so I can do the English test. I'm not having much joy at all, going around in circles.
I even submitted forms and payment to request an extension to my residency document, which you'd think would force me to go apply for a BRP. No luck, they closed my application as inappropriate as I was issued my permanent residence card under EEA regulations, (spouse EU), and will be refunding me. Not sure what to do other than having to go through the pains of going to London to renew my passport which I no longer want. That will take around 6 months on its own.
Any ideas, all I need is to get a BRP somehow?

justabby0174
Newly Registered

Post by justabby0174 » Thu May 23, 2019 9:40 pm

Geheime wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:42 pm
Hello. I am in the process of applying for a Biometric Residence Permit (no time limit). I have had an Indefinite Leave to Remain visa since 2010, and the visa is currently in my expired passport. The passport expired in 2012, and I wasn't aware of the need to transfer the ILR visa to a BRP until a few days ago. My UK Visas and Immigration document checklist asks for both a "Current document showing your right to stay in the UK" and an "Original document showing grant of settlement, such as a vignette, passport or RON 60 Letter". The only document that I have ever received that shows my right to stay in the UK is the ILR visa in my expired passport, so I don't know what separate "current" document is being referred to. Does anyone know what this "current" document might be and if it's actually necessary for my BRP application?
Hi..My case is the same.. Have my ILR visa stamped in my old passport.. Is it really a must that we should apply for a BRP? How did you apply for it? And how much is the cost? Thanks .

Heidi82
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Heidi82 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:03 pm

Yo folks, finally sucked it up and emailed technical support regarding this. As it clearly states on website- Transfer vignette stamp into BRP. So they very helpful lady on the other end said to say you dont have a valid documentation ( as pport is expired) it goes on to ask your proof of eligibility to be in country. Here you would select vignette stamp in expired pport. I have finally found 15 yrs of proof showing ive been in the country and need to spend the eve scanning for the next process. As far as I can tell all is above board and moving forward 👍