ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse application process

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Incy

Fiance to spouse visa query

Post by Incy » Wed May 08, 2019 12:52 am

Time flies!

My partner got his fiance visa 21/12/18, expires 21/06/18.
We got married on 04/03/19.
We have been messed around by the solicitors we were using, we had paid for a package to get help with the fiance visa and the spouse visa, they closed up and everything transferred to a different firm.
After many emails and phone calls we finally got the new solicitors to agree to help us.
We have now got all documents ready but we are worried about the time left and submitting our application in time.

What is the latest time we can submit the spouse visa application prior to the fiance visa expiring?

Also, I know we didn't need our birth certificates for the fiance visa, but we have got conflicting advice on whether they are needed for the spouse visa, or not.

Incy

Re: Fiance to spouse visa query

Post by Incy » Wed May 08, 2019 1:17 am

I forgot to ask.

Do we need to write a cover letter?

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Wed May 08, 2019 2:31 am

I think you typed wrong to 21/06/18 which should be 21/06/19.
You can prepare your case yourself and the 1st stage of spouse visa is fairly easier because it involve almost the same documents which were needed for fiancée visa. Once married then you can apply for spouse visa anytime before expiry of fiancée visa but preferably it should be applied as soon as possible and the supporting documents shouldn't be older than 28 days before the date of online application. Usually birth certificates are being asked at subsequent extension stage which is not necessary if not available. And covering letter is not mandatory.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Incy

Post by Incy » Tue May 14, 2019 11:11 am

I have just had a call from the solicitor helping us with our application.
He tells me that while filling out the form on our behalf, it is asking questions regarding my ex wife and my son.
Bit of background, I was married from August 2000 to March 2007, my son has always lived with my exwife and she has sole responsibility.
The solicitor has asked me to provide the following, and I am just wondering if this is typical information required for someone in my position.
  • Copy of my son's birth certificate.
    Copy of my son's passport.
    Proof of my exwife's address, i.e. utility bill with her name on it.
When we applied for the fiance visa, all I had to provide was proof of my divorce, so I am unsure why I need to provide the above evidence now.

Incy

Post by Incy » Thu May 23, 2019 7:46 pm

My exwife is being a little bit awkward and not wanting to scan the information we are being asked for in regards to my son. Basically she is being stupid and thinks that the information is going to end up in the hands of the 'wrong sort of people', even though I have repeatedly told her that it is only going to the government department which deals with visa applications.
I am not even sure why I have to provide the information given that my son doesn't live with me and isn't part of the application.

Anyone have any experience on how it will affect the application if I am unable to provide the information?
I am thinking of writing a covering letter explaining why I can't supply the required documents.

Jhelumi
Mood:

Post by Jhelumi » Thu May 23, 2019 10:13 pm

Incy wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 7:46 pm
My exwife is being a little bit awkward and not wanting to scan the information we are being asked for in regards to my son. Basically she is being stupid and thinks that the information is going to end up in the hands of the 'wrong sort of people', even though I have repeatedly told her that it is only going to the government department which deals with visa applications.
I am not even sure why I have to provide the information given that my son doesn't live with me and isn't part of the application.

Anyone have any experience on how it will affect the application if I am unable to provide the information?
I am thinking of writing a covering letter explaining why I can't supply the required documents.
Hello,

Can you not just request an official copy of the birth certificate from your local registrar office.

Incy

Spouse application process

Post by Incy » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:43 pm

Hi all

I have posted a few times and received helpful information.

We have our appointment tomorrow to get my partners biometrics done and our documents for spouse visa scanned. We are applying to switch from fiance visa to first spouse visa.
The new online process automatically asks for documents about my son because we have had to tick the 'Non applying children' part. Due to a slightly strained relationship between my son's mother and myself, we have been enable to obtain the documents related to my son being asked for.
I got divorced in 2007 and my son has always lived with his mother. She has refused to provide a copy of his birth certificate and proof of her address, and we also have no written agreement in regard to access to my son, it has always been mutual agreement based around my shifts and when he is available.
I spoke to our solicitor and he has said that it shouldn't be an issue so not to worry too much about it, however, I am concerned that if we don't explain why we can't provide the documents, it might have a detrimental affect on our application.

I have put together a letter to go with our documents explaining, but I am not sure whether to include it or not, so was wondering if anyone else has been in a similar position and can offer some advice.

Letter;

Regarding (partners) visa application;

We are unable to provide any of the documents related to (my son) as requested.
I asked (ex-wife), who has sole responsibility for (my son), but she refused to provide them, copies rather than originals were requested but again refused.

When asked, (ex-wife) replied that she is concerned about sending the documents because, in her words “They are sensitive documents and might get into the wrong hands”, despite explaining the process and sending a link to the relevant page on the Gov.UK site.

As you can imagine, the relationship between (ex-wife) and myself is strained and the only communication between us is about (my son), who I don’t have regular contact with.

If you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely,