ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Questions about Naturalization Requirements

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

hdsgnr

Question about citizenship application.

Post by hdsgnr » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:50 pm

Hey guys,

I'm filling my citizenship application and need help with it. One of the questions there is:
"9.5 Have you received a Social Assistance payment or other State support in the past 3 years?"
(Yes) (No)
"9.6 If you answered ‘Yes’ to question 9.5 please give: "
"Type of Payment/Support | From | To | Reason for obtaining Social Welfare Support"
My ex-girlfriend applied for a medical card awhile ago on behalf of the family and we all got cards (girlfriend, child and me). I never used that card anyways, never been to a doctor in Ireland. Is the medical card considered a social welfare or State help and do I have to write it in the field?

Also later, when our relationship broke down to the point when I've applied in the court to stop her from taking the child abroad without my permission and joint custody. I've applied for legal aid from the Legal Aid Board with success. I still had to pay around 130 euro, so I didn't get direct payment but a discount of the services I guess. Is that considered some kind of social welfare etc. and should I write it?

If yes, what are my chances to be considered for naturalization?

P.S. I never received any kind of direct social payments ever.

Thank you

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Question about citizenship application.

Post by littlerr » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:44 pm

There are plenty of people who had social benefits but still got approved. You never used any so you will be fine. Just put these explanations in your application so that they know you are being honest and upfront.

hdsgnr

Questions about Naturalization Requirements

Post by hdsgnr » Wed May 22, 2019 6:37 pm

Hello there,

I have some questions about the requirements in the application for naturalization. BTW I'm already EU citizen and live in the country for over 5 and a half years.

One of the conditions for citizenship is:
"You should have one year's continuous reckonable residency in the year immediately prior to the date of application".

Does that mean that immediately prior to the date of application I should not be absent at all from the country? Can I go on a holiday for a few weeks just before applying?
I heard about the 6 weeks rule, but I'm not sure if it applies for the last year prior applying.
Also after I send my application, will I be able to leave the country for over 6 weeks, without jeopardizing my application, or I have to stick to that rule until I get citizenship?

Another question. They require the original of my passport + the number of the passport I used to enter the country. I can't remember if I used my passport or National ID card to enter the country for the first time (it was year 2013). But after that I'm almost sure that I always used my ID card to travel, instead of my passport (I was traveling only in the EU).

I've already wrote my National ID card number in my application, along with my old passport's number, and also have a color photocopy of the ID card and the old passport. Would that be enough, or I'm required to send the original of my National ID card as well?
I truly hope that's not the case, because in case of emergency I wouldn't be able to use any services for the time - bank, post, hospital etc.

Any help with my questions will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

hdsgnr

Re: Questions about Naturalization Requirements

Post by hdsgnr » Wed May 22, 2019 7:05 pm

Could I mod delete the top post, because it's old and not relevant to my current asking and will confuse ppl.
I have no idea how it appeared on top of my new post. Thanks.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Wed May 22, 2019 9:32 pm

Presumably because a moderator merged your two posts.

Answering your question, of course you can go on holiday, for a maximum of 6 weeks. This is what the 6 week rule refers to.

The 6 week rule is not explicitly mentioned for the period after you apply for naturalisation, although my friend is stuck in the middle of this because he travelled to the UK frequently after applying for naturalisation. He applied for the naturalisation around the same time as I did (last July). I got my approval while he is still in his first stage.

I'm not sure about the requirement with regards to EU IDs so I'll leave it with others to answer, although you can always send them an email to get an official answer.

Virgo
Ireland

Post by Virgo » Thu May 23, 2019 8:41 am

hdsgnr wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:50 pm
Hey guys,

I'm filling my citizenship application and need help with it. One of the questions there is:
"9.5 Have you received a Social Assistance payment or other State support in the past 3 years?"
(Yes) (No)
"9.6 If you answered ‘Yes’ to question 9.5 please give: "
"Type of Payment/Support | From | To | Reason for obtaining Social Welfare Support"
My ex-girlfriend applied for a medical card awhile ago on behalf of the family and we all got cards (girlfriend, child and me). I never used that card anyways, never been to a doctor in Ireland. Is the medical card considered a social welfare or State help and do I have to write it in the field?

Also later, when our relationship broke down to the point when I've applied in the court to stop her from taking the child abroad without my permission and joint custody. I've applied for legal aid from the Legal Aid Board with success. I still had to pay around 130 euro, so I didn't get direct payment but a discount of the services I guess. Is that considered some kind of social welfare etc. and should I write it?

If yes, what are my chances to be considered for naturalization?

P.S. I never received any kind of direct social payments ever.

Thank you

My family holding medical cards but i answered this question by ticking NO. I thought this question only relates to Money ( job seeker allowance ,family income support or housing benefits ) . Does it really going to effect my application ? But in other hand i also attached GP letter stating i am register with them since .Any ideas guys?

Virgo
Ireland

Post by Virgo » Thu May 23, 2019 8:56 am

My family holding medical cards but i answered this question by ticking NO. I thought this question only relates to Money ( job seeker allowance ,family income support or housing benefits as i am not taking any of them Only M. cards ) . Does it really going to effect my application ? But in other hand i also attached GP letter stating i am register with them since .Any ideas guys?

hdsgnr

Post by hdsgnr » Thu May 23, 2019 5:21 pm

littlerr wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 9:32 pm
Presumably because a moderator merged your two posts.

Answering your question, of course you can go on holiday, for a maximum of 6 weeks. This is what the 6 week rule refers to.

The 6 week rule is not explicitly mentioned for the period after you apply for naturalisation, although my friend is stuck in the middle of this because he travelled to the UK frequently after applying for naturalisation. He applied for the naturalisation around the same time as I did (last July). I got my approval while he is still in his first stage.

I'm not sure about the requirement with regards to EU IDs so I'll leave it with others to answer, although you can always send them an email to get an official answer.

Thanks for your answer!
I already sent them email, but no answer so far. I tried to call the phone line as well but it was busy all the time.
So then I guess I'm going on a holiday, since I haven't been abroad for over 2 years now. I hope I get answer from them on the ID until I come back.

hdsgnr

Post by hdsgnr » Thu May 23, 2019 5:25 pm

As I thought ppl will get confused...
Virgo wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 8:56 am
My family holding medical cards but i answered this question by ticking NO. I thought this question only relates to Money ( job seeker allowance ,family income support or housing benefits as i am not taking any of them Only M. cards ) . Does it really going to effect my application ? But in other hand i also attached GP letter stating i am register with them since .Any ideas guys?
Honestly I haven't decided how to fill that part yet and I will leave it for the last moment. As I said I haven't received any money and in my case with the Legal aid for the family court, I had to pay some money (I guess that was just a discounted price). Probably I'll seek help from someone that have been through this.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu May 23, 2019 10:51 pm

Legal aid is not considered social welfare benefits.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors