ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Receiving a call from the EU Settled Status Resolution Center - What for, really?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

kamoe

Receiving a call from the EU Settled Status Resolution Center - What for, really?

Post by kamoe » Thu May 23, 2019 10:34 am

As one of the unfortunate non-EU people who have spent more than 5 years in the UK but less than 5 as the family member of a EU citizen, my application for Settled Status has been waiting for a long time before the case worker even attempted a first contact.

And as many others in this situation, I received a call from the resolution center, but for a number of reasons, I did not take it. A voice message asked me to call back. I sent them a message saying phone calls where not convenient, and asked them to please deal with this via email, but they replied saying they were sorry but that this was not possible, and that it had to be done over the phone. I then eventually called this morning, but unfortunately I did not have my application number at hand (I called while on the street, on my way to work, as I did not want to waste work time on this, and I honestly thought my date of birth would be enough). As I'm one of those silly people who can't exactly remember each and every answer they gave to security questions they set up more than 4 months ago, I did not pass the identity check. I was informed the call could not continue and that I needed to call again, after having waited for a good 20-15 minutes on the phone before they picked my call.

I am beyond annoyed.

My question to anyone in my situation and having received a call from the resolution center is this: What exactly do they tell you over the phone that cannot be done via email? Do you also have to answer security questions if it's them who call you?

I just don't want to waste any more time on this, any information that helps me prepare better for either the next time they call back, or if I decide to attempt to call them (this time with my application number at hand), will be very, very appreciated.

Thank you.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Re: Receiving a call from the EU Settled Status Resolution Center - What for, really?

Post by askmeplz82 » Thu May 23, 2019 10:40 am

They do call if they need to more information . If they can't give what you want but alternative status.

Like a member here applied for settled status but they told him sorry you are not eligible for settled status but we can give you pre-settled status instead. He agreed
Attachments
Screenshot 2019-05-23 at 11.37.54.png
Screenshot 2019-05-23 at 11.37.54.png (209.55 KiB) Viewed 3698 times
UK Student Visa : 04/2004 - 09/2009
EEA Residence Card : 07/2010 - 7/2015
EU Settled Status: Confirmed on 16th July 2019
Naturalisation : Confirmed on 02nd Oct 2020
Passport Approval : 21st Feb 2021

Romy88
Ukraine

Re: Receiving a call from the EU Settled Status Resolution Center - What for, really?

Post by Romy88 » Thu May 23, 2019 11:18 am

I am the person who missed the call from the caseworker. First of all, when they call you you will see the call from anonymus. So it means you will not be able to call them back. What I did: I filled the resolution centre form by giving my and my son's application number (the call was regarding my son's application) and explaining that I have missed the call. They replied in two days saying that they left a note for caseforker who will contact me again. And in one more day the caseworker did call me on Monday at 8 o'clock.

Also the best time to call them is 8-9 o'clock in the morning (from my experience). Firstly, they will ask you your application reference number, secondly - your answers for the questions for security purpose. You cannot avoid it as it's routine security check.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Thu May 23, 2019 11:38 am

askmeplz82 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 10:40 am
Like a member here applied for settled status but they told him sorry you are not eligible for settled status but we can give you pre-settled status instead. He agreed
I'm 98% sure this will be my case, and in that sense, I really don't see why this cannot be done via email. Can't comprehend their desire to make everyone waste time.

Thank you for your answer.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

Romy88
Ukraine

Post by Romy88 » Thu May 23, 2019 11:40 am

kamoe wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 11:38 am
askmeplz82 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 10:40 am
I'm 98% sure this will be my case, and in that sense, I really don't see why this cannot be done via email. Can't comprehend their desire to make everyone waste time.

Thank you for your answer.
I know why. They just want to avoid the situation when the people are not happy about the decision and think that they are eligible for settled status not for pre-settled.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Thu May 23, 2019 11:44 am

Romy88 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 11:18 am
I am the person who missed the call from the caseworker. First of all, when they call you you will see the call from anonymus. So it means you will not be able to call them back.
You can, I did it this morning.
I've had three calls: one from private number last week, then two this morning from their 0300 publicly advertised number. I call that one back and got through.
Also the best time to call them is 8-9 o'clock in the morning (from my experience).
Thanks, note taken.
Firstly, they will ask you your application reference number, secondly - your answers for the questions for security purpose. You cannot avoid it as it's routine security check.
I'm toast then. This morning I gave the answers I thought would be the right ones, and failed. I cannot think of alternative answers, so I'll contact them electronically using the form and will tell them that. Either they let me set up alternative security questions, or I'm locked out and stuck. Or they need to call me (banking on no having to answer any security questions if it's them who call me). Not calling back. Good thing is I'm in no rush, I could literally wait for the very last day to do this, but I'm just... really annoyed.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Thu May 23, 2019 11:48 am

Romy88 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 11:40 am
I know why. They just want to avoid the situation when the people are not happy about the decision and think that they are eligible for settled status not for pre-settled.
How about avoiding the situation where people are not happy having to deal with a call center? And only asking those who are not happy about their status to actually call them?

It's completely irrational. I do not mind only receiving Pre-Settled status if that's what I am eligible for. But I am a very, very unhappy applicant about the whole completely unnecessary time-wasting phone thing.

Romy88
Ukraine

Post by Romy88 » Thu May 23, 2019 11:59 am

I've had three calls: one from private number last week, then two this morning from their 0300 publicly advertised number. I call that one back and got through. - if you could see the number that means it was resolution centre not a caseworker.

I do not know what to say regarding you answers that did not match. The best options to ask them to call you at appopriate for you time or call them on your own and explain the situation. And also point out that you have been waiting AGES and not very happy about it. Another point to make is that you applied before 30th March so there are no excuses for HO saying that due to high volume of applications and bla bla bla...

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Thu May 23, 2019 12:15 pm

Romy88 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 11:59 am
I've had three calls: one from private number last week, then two this morning from their 0300 publicly advertised number. I call that one back and got through. - if you could see the number that means it was resolution centre not a caseworker.
Well, in the voice message they ask you to call the 0300 number. So they are actually asking you to call the resolution center, not the case worker... wondering if there is a difference at all.
I do not know what to say regarding you answers that did not match. The best options to ask them to call you at appopriate for you time
Their last message says:

In order to progress your application at this point, please contact the Settlement Resolution Centre by phone on 0300 123 7379 (from inside the UK), 0203 080 0010 (from outside the UK). Alternatively, you may wait for caseworkers to contact you again, however we cannot currently confirm a time or date for this.

Not sure if that means it's impossible to "make an appointment". But I'll try.
or call them on your own and explain the situation.
I would think they will only be able to "treat me as myself", the genuine applicant, is if I succeed the questions of the identity check. Which I won't. The thing is... those are answers I regularly type on a form, not that I have to answer orally by phone... this makes all the difference to me, different regions of the brain activate differently (It's like... not being able to remember a password if you need to say it out loud or write it with a pen, only being able to produce it if you type it, if you know what I mean)
And also point out that you have been waiting AGES and not very happy about it.
Yeah, good point, I'll add that too!
Another point to make is that you applied before 30th March so there are no excuses for HO saying that due to high volume of applications and bla bla bla...
Yes, and yes. Thanks for your suggestions.

TerryGH
Chile

Post by TerryGH » Thu May 23, 2019 12:23 pm

Even if they call you, they still ask you to pass the security questions, as it's the only way to authenticate you.
And normally a call shouldn't take too much time, it's faster than writing a long post.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Thu May 23, 2019 1:05 pm

TerryGH wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 12:23 pm
Even if they call you, they still ask you to pass the security questions, as it's the only way to authenticate you.
And normally a call shouldn't take too much time, it's faster than writing a long post.
Do you realize I did call, and that I failed the security questions?

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Thu May 23, 2019 1:25 pm

TerryGH wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 12:23 pm
I'm really sorry, but this has really stressed and unbalanced me today.

The point here is not really length of time, but timing. I and many other people have their lives organized in a way we cannot just answer unexpected phone calls, at really random hours. That I feel is a complete lack of respect for people's time.

Then there is the annoyance of identity check. This is not the first time this happens to me in the past, and I've come to the conclusion that identity checks based on questions are bound to eventually not work. No idea what I could have set up as answers 4 months ago (which is how long they have taken to come back to me), the fact is, those answers are not the same to the ones I can come up with now.

Whereas identity check is no tan issue in email communications.

Romy88
Ukraine

Post by Romy88 » Thu May 23, 2019 2:03 pm

How about avoiding the situation where people are not happy having to deal with a call center? And only asking those who are not happy about their status to actually call them? - no, that is result of administrative review when people were not happy with the desicion and applied to review it. I have recently read the report from HO about testing Beta before 30th March. 24 people applied for administrative review and 11 out of 24 were sucessful. Basically it means that initially some caseworkers made mistakes. That is why they prefer calling you and adgree that you are happy about their decision.

It's completely irrational. I do not mind only receiving Pre-Settled status if that's what I am eligible for. But I am a very, very unhappy applicant about the whole completely unnecessary time-wasting phone thing.
[/quote]
-- Ratio and HO will never match :D They can issue residence card to someone who did not provide any documents from ex-spouse, no ID, nothing and do not accept certified copy of ex ID by notary.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Thu May 23, 2019 2:08 pm

Romy88 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 2:03 pm
I have recently read the report from HO about testing Beta before 30th March. 24 people applied for administrative review and 11 out of 24 were sucessful. Basically it means that initially some caseworkers made mistakes. That is why they prefer calling you and adgree that you are happy about their decision.
Well, if that means that I actually have a choice and say: "No I'm not happy with Pre-Settled status, please give me Settled status", and as a result they give me that, then the phone call has a point. :P

Romy88
Ukraine

Post by Romy88 » Thu May 23, 2019 2:16 pm

wondering if there is a difference at all.

Yes, there is. You can call resolution centre and ask to transfer you to caseworker as you already missed the call from them. They can tell you that they will leave a note for caseworker and hopefully you will hear from them soon. But considering that you had a problem with security check which you fail I do not know what you should do. There is only one option left - to fill resolution centre form and send it to them. They usually reply within two days (from my experience so far). Or just wait for another call from caseworker or resolution centre.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Fri May 24, 2019 11:56 am

Today's update is more positive, although I'm still slightly annoyed.

Here's for your enjoyment:

1) I did contact the Resolution center via their contact form telling them that I'd really like to have them call me, and that I had experienced major inconvenient with the identity check. Asking them to allow me set other answers, or continue application by email.

2) Since last time they took over a week to get back to me, I gave up, gathered all my strength and called again at 8:20, much earlier than yesterday. Good thing is, I did not have to wait at all and my call got picked up very quickly. And...

I passed the identity check! Thing is: They asked me the exact same questions, and I provided roughly the same answers.

I think... what made the difference is that I went fool proof in the way I worded my answers. I said: "You know, yesterday I failed the identity check with this exact questions, and I think that's because there are three possible answers to that question, which are A, B and C, and yesterday I probably only said A or B". And "You know, yesterday I answered X, but actually could also be worded as Y, because they are... synonyms?" The guys was super understanding and eager to just have me finish talking, and passed me, :lol:

Anyway, the above sums up why I dislike call centers, etc.

Now, for the fun stuff:

1) He then said the caseworker had called as they needed to inform me I was only getting Pre-Settled status. I asked why, and he said, "Wait I need to read the notes here... oh yeah.. because... it depends on how long the marriage has lasted... (with a ver ypuzzled voice as in, I am reading this but I do not understand this very well)". Which I already knew, and is obviously some of it, but not all of it, since I am unmarried. But I got the general idea, and ended his misery saying it was OK, and that I understood. I also said they would save themselves a headache if they just clarified that on the eligibility criteria of the settled status page: "If you are a Non-EU national, your eligibility depends on the duration of your relaitonshipt to the EU national... etc." He said he was with me and understood how that would be helpful. I asked him to please pass that feedback on.

2) I did ask him, why did they have to call people instead of just sending the decision by email. He said he wasn't sure, that's the process, blah, blah, that was important to have a verbal feedback from the applicant. I said "Why if I am mute?" He said "I'm sorry?". I repeated the question, then he appeared to get it, and said: "Uh.. I don't know!!!" To be fair, I suppose phone resolution center staff will never have to deal with mute people, so they are not informed about that.

3) Then I asked... what if, in the hypothetical case I said "You know what? I am really upset, I do not accept Pre-Settled Status, I want my Settled status now!" What would happen? He said.... "I think... your application will be put on hold until you accept Pre-Settled Status". He did not sound very convinced, I think he just made that up, to be honest, but it's fun nonetheless to have had that answer from the resolution center.

I then laughed, said it was all OK and I was happy to have Pre-Settled status since not accepting it made no sense. He laughed as well, and said my application would continue then as Pre-Settled.

I have not received anything else, will report back when applicable.

The End (for now).

Romy88
Ukraine

Post by Romy88 » Sat May 25, 2019 9:16 am

To be honest, I do not get why it took them 4 months in your case (if I am not mistaken) just to call you and ask the question? If it was obvious from the beginning that you are entitled for pre-settled status.

By the way, yesterday my daughter (EU) was granted pre-settled status. It took them exactly TWO MONTHS without any calls from caseworker or requesting of any documents.

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:58 am

So, as of last Friday I had received no decision. I then decided to use the contact form yet again, asking what was the status of my application. Here's their answer (I think I saw someone else receiving a very similar answer on the other general outcome thread):
Thank you for your question regarding your submitted application reference [XXX].

Dear [X]

During the application process you applied for settled status and on 24 May 2019, following contact with the EU Settlement Resolution Centre, you agreed that you are only eligible to apply for pre- settled status.

Upon advice from the relevant department, your application is currently on hold pending a policy review which will allow us to process the application with the correct outcome.

Please rest assured that further details will be sent out to you regarding your application in due course.

EU citizens and their family members already resident in the UK by 31 December 2020 will be welcome to stay and we want them to do so. They are part of our community, and part of our country and we welcome the contribution that they make. As set out in the Statement of Intent there will be plenty of time for EU citizens and their family members to apply for their UK immigration status.

There will be no change to their current rights under EU law until 31 December 2020, and the deadline for applications to the scheme for those resident here by the end of 2020 will be 30 June.

Therefore, we would appreciate it if you allowed us time, as we await further information and advice from the policy team.

In addition, we will notify the caseworker in charge of your application of your concerns. You should wait to hear from the caseworker and follow their instructions when prompted.

We expect further announcements in due course from the government regarding your situation.
And as I said in that thread, does this mean they are going to grant some of us Settled Status? Or is this going to be pending until the very last day in Decembre 2020?

Again, I'm not in a rush as I have a valid RC, I only really applied to see what happened. Pffff.

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Post by askmeplz82 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:32 pm

Are they waiting for new PM ? Because new PM may change it's policy. People like Boris Johnson will make it more difficult and Michael Gove may give all EU citizen whoever arrived here before referendum settled status ..not sure about NON EU family member though
UK Student Visa : 04/2004 - 09/2009
EEA Residence Card : 07/2010 - 7/2015
EU Settled Status: Confirmed on 16th July 2019
Naturalisation : Confirmed on 02nd Oct 2020
Passport Approval : 21st Feb 2021

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:57 pm

askmeplz82 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:32 pm
Are they waiting for new PM ?
I don't think so. The wording of the message I got is not new. Very similar to what another user got as official answer back in march.

Unfortunately, I do not know of any other case of anyone else with a similar reply, or what the "natural" outcome is going to be or what "policy" means here, as the aforementioned member's particular circumstance meant they really needed/wanted confirmation of status -any status- very soon, and they did not await for the announced "policy". They escalated their case with their MP and got confirmation of Pre-Settled status (which for me is of no real use or advantage, I prefer to wait).

Romy88
Ukraine

Post by Romy88 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:19 pm

Congratulations! Finally you have got some news from HO :)

Tiktok
Morocco

Post by Tiktok » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:46 pm

kamoe wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 10:34 am
As one of the unfortunate non-EU people who have spent more than 5 years in the UK but less than 5 as the family member of a EU citizen, my application for Settled Status has been waiting for a long time before the case worker even attempted a first contact.

And as many others in this situation, I received a call from the resolution center, but for a number of reasons, I did not take it. A voice message asked me to call back. I sent them a message saying phone calls where not convenient, and asked them to please deal with this via email, but they replied saying they were sorry but that this was not possible, and that it had to be done over the phone. I then eventually called this morning, but unfortunately I did not have my application number at hand (I called while on the street, on my way to work, as I did not want to waste work time on this, and I honestly thought my date of birth would be enough). As I'm one of those silly people who can't exactly remember each and every answer they gave to security questions they set up more than 4 months ago, I did not pass the identity check. I was informed the call could not continue and that I needed to call again, after having waited for a good 20-15 minutes on the phone before they picked my call.

I am beyond annoyed.

My question to anyone in my situation and having received a call from the resolution center is this: What exactly do they tell you over the phone that cannot be done via email? Do you also have to answer security questions if it's them who call you?

I just don't want to waste any more time on this, any information that helps me prepare better for either the next time they call back, or if I decide to attempt to call them (this time with my application number at hand), will be very, very appreciated.

Thank you.
Hi just quick question as u mentioned u got ur residence card as unmarried partner and then u registered ur marriage after u got ur residence card and even tho u complete ur 5 years they didn't wanna give u settled status that's unfair

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:01 am

Tiktok wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:46 pm
u registered ur marriage after u got ur residence card and even tho u complete ur 5 years
You are misunderstanding things.
1) I'm not married, hence I haven't registered any marriage anywhere. What makes you think this?
2) I have been in the UK for nearly 10 years, but I have not completed 5 years as family ember of EU citizen, which is the directive. So not really unfair.

Tiktok
Morocco

Post by Tiktok » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:20 am

kamoe wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:01 am
Tiktok wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:46 pm
u registered ur marriage after u got ur residence card and even tho u complete ur 5 years
You are misunderstanding things.
1) I'm not married, hence I haven't registered any marriage anywhere. What makes you think this?
2) I have been in the UK for nearly 10 years, but I have not completed 5 years as family ember of EU citizen, which is the directive. So not really unfair.
Sorry for the confusion it's my mistake and thanks for for your reply

kamoe

Post by kamoe » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:53 pm

Romy88 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:19 pm
Congratulations! Finally you have got some news from HO :)
Not really. The only thing they have told me is that they don't have anything to tell me (carefully worded to avoid admitting they don't know what to do with me).