ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New ILR application after previous one ruled invalid and rejecting application to be treated as LLR

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Joey1978
Newly Registered
Chile

New ILR application after previous one ruled invalid and rejecting application to be treated as LLR

Post by Joey1978 » Fri May 24, 2019 2:34 pm

My wife recently applied for ILR but this was ruled to be invalid as she had:

1) applied too early - having applied on 30 March 2019 while her visa expires on 12 June 2019, she was ruled to have only completed 58 months rather than 60 months required under Section E-ILRP.1.3(a)

and

2) had not completed her Life in the UK test (we mistakenly thought that was only required for Citizenship) - an expensive mistake!!!!

In the letter saying her application was invalid because of those two reasons, it also said the application would be treated as a limited leave to remain for 30 months so long as she paid £1000 immigration health surcharge and she could continue on the 10 year route to settlement instead.

The letter didn't say we could reapply for ILR but we decided to do nothing on that and forego the Limited Leave to Remain/10 year route and instead to put in a new application for ILR as she still had time to get the Life in the UK test done and reapply within the 28 days of the expiration of her current visa (ie between 15 May and 12 June 2019).

She took the Life in the UK test on Tuesday (21 May 2019) and passed - yay! - and now she is in the process of filling in the ILR web form again for the new application.

However, today (24 June 2019) she received a heavily worded letter from the Home Office (dated 15 May 2019) saying that because she didn't pay the immigration health surcharge, the limited leave to remain application is now invalid and "if she doesn't have any other legal basis to remain in the UK she must leave the country" - it was accompanied by a scary looking "Annex A - Information Notice" with her name and a reference number and wording around "Liability for Removal" and " "consequences of illegally staying in the UK".

We just wanted to check with you guys that her existing visa is indeed still valid until the 12th June? If so presumably we are still ok to put in a new application for ILR - as now she has done 60 months less 19 days (which is within 28 day window prior to visa expiration for her to apply for ILR) and has her Life in the UK test pass, so she should be eligible for ILR.

We'd really appreciate your thoughts and comments on this. The posts on this Immigration Boards website around reapplying for ILR after an invaild decision because of applying too early or not having done the KoLL tests seem to have worked out ok but it's still very worrying -

Are we ok to put in a new application? Do you think she should be successful on the new application now she satisfies the two reasons they gave for saying the original application was invalid?

Thanks so much

bluebird12
Pakistan

Re: New ILR application after previous one ruled invalid and rejecting application to be treated as LLR

Post by bluebird12 » Fri May 24, 2019 6:35 pm

1- you meant today Date 24 May 2019 but not 24 June 2019 ?

2- Her existing LTR should not be curtailed and she can apply ILR again .

3- if you write exact wording of refusal letter someone could better give you information/ advice.

aman90
Diamond Member

Re: New ILR application after previous one ruled invalid and rejecting application to be treated as LLR

Post by aman90 » Sat May 25, 2019 1:22 am

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat May 25, 2019 4:41 am

Joey1978 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 2:34 pm
Are we ok to put in a new application? Do you think she should be successful on the new application now she satisfies the two reasons they gave for saying the original application was invalid?
Yes.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Joey1978
Newly Registered
Chile

Post by Joey1978 » Thu May 30, 2019 1:42 pm

Thanks all.

If successful I want to apply immediately for citizenship - a lawyer told me the rules have changed though... see my post here: british-citizenship/have-there-been-cha ... 82348.html

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu May 30, 2019 1:56 pm

Joey1978 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 1:42 pm
Thanks all.

If successful I want to apply immediately for citizenship - a lawyer told me the rules have changed though... see my post here: british-citizenship/have-there-been-cha ... 82348.html
I already answered your question in the British citizenship sub forum. Please do not ask citizenship questions in this topic and sub forum, which is relevant to ILR only.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.