ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Long Residence ILR and British Citizenship for child

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Rswizzle
Newly Registered
Malaysia

Long Residence ILR and British Citizenship for child

Post by Rswizzle » Fri May 24, 2019 8:16 pm

Good evening,

Looking for some advice. My husband and I are eligible to apply for ILR via the 10-year long residence route from 23/7/19. Our daughter, who was born in the UK, is on a dependent visa. All our current visas expire on the 4/8/19. We would like to apply for British citizenship for our daughter once either of us are granted ILR (we will apply using the super premium service). My only question is: what if we don't get a decision about our applications before our daughter's dependent visa expires on the 4/8/19 (for example, if we can't get a soon enough date at Sopra Steria to submit our documents)? We really do not want to extend her visa as she will be eligible for British citizenship once we are granted an ILR, but also not sure what will happen if we let her current visa lapse while awaiting a decision for our applications! Thank you.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: Long Residence ILR and British Citizenship for child

Post by CULLINAN » Fri May 24, 2019 11:02 pm

Rswizzle wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 8:16 pm
Good evening,

Looking for some advice. My husband and I are eligible to apply for ILR via the 10-year long residence route from 23/7/19. Our daughter, who was born in the UK, is on a dependent visa. All our current visas expire on the 4/8/19. We would like to apply for British citizenship for our daughter once either of us are granted ILR (we will apply using the super premium service). My only question is: what if we don't get a decision about our applications before our daughter's dependent visa expires on the 4/8/19 (for example, if we can't get a soon enough date at Sopra Steria to submit our documents)? We really do not want to extend her visa as she will be eligible for British citizenship once we are granted an ILR, but also not sure what will happen if we let her current visa lapse while awaiting a decision for our applications! Thank you.
Your daughter is UK born. She will still remain eligible to register as British Citizenship after your ILR regardless of her visa expiry.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

vinny

Re: Long Residence ILR and British Citizenship for child

Post by vinny » Sat May 25, 2019 4:31 am

How old is your daughter?

If age under 10, then she should be okay.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.