ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Certificate of entitlement

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

MEP10JL
Newly Registered
China

What VISA should apply for my Child less than 1 years old?

Post by MEP10JL » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:00 pm

Hi all

I would like to know what type of VISA I should apply for a year old child.

The father is British and the mother has indefinitely leave to remain. The baby is born outside of UK.

The parent want to the child to UK since they are both working and living in UK

Do the child need to apply for entry clearance —> leave to remain —> indefinitely leave to remain?

Or the child can directly apply for British passport with the father or directly apply for indefinite leave to remain with the mother?

Thank you for your advice in advance

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: What VISA should apply for my Child less than 1 years old?

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:13 pm

Do the child need to apply for entry clearance —> leave to remain —> indefinitely leave to remain?
Was the child born AFTER you became British, ie after your citizenship ceremony??
Or the child can directly apply for British passport with the father or directly apply for indefinite leave to remain with the mother?
Depends on your answer to my first question.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

MEP10JL
Newly Registered
China

Post by MEP10JL » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:29 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:13 pm
Was the child born AFTER you became British, ie after your citizenship ceremony??
Depends on your answer to my first question.
Yes, the child was born 4 years after the father became British citizens

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:30 pm

Then child is automatically British by descent and can apply for a British passport directly.

Which country is the child in??
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

MEP10JL
Newly Registered
China

Post by MEP10JL » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:37 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:30 pm
Then child is automatically British by descent and can apply for a British passport directly.

Which country is the child in??
The child was born in China

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:47 pm

Does the child have a Chinese passport?

If yes, you could apply for a Certificate of Entitlement / Right of Abode and then apply for a British passport once the child is in the UK, which is quicker than from abroad.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

MEP10JL
Newly Registered
China

Post by MEP10JL » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:51 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:47 pm
Does the child have a Chinese passport?

If yes, you could apply for a Certificate of Entitlement / Right of Abode and then apply for a British passport once the child is in the UK, which is quicker than from abroad.
Yes, the child has a Chinese passport

Could you please tell me more about the certificate of entitlement/ right of abode? How to apply it?

Many thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:17 pm

Char (CR001 not Casa)

MEP10JL
Newly Registered
China

Certificate of entitlement

Post by MEP10JL » Mon May 27, 2019 9:35 pm

Hi,

I have British passport since 2015. I was born in China, moved to UK in 2002 and have indefinitely leave to remain in 2013.

I would like to apply certificate of entitlement for my daughter who is less than 10 years old. My daughter is born in China with Chinese passport.

I have read gov.uk. It seems the certificate of entitlement only apply to the commonwealth citizen. Is my daughter eligible for certificate of entitlements?

Many thanks
JL

secret.simon

Re: Certificate of entitlement

Post by secret.simon » Mon May 27, 2019 10:03 pm

If the child was born after either one parent became a British citizen (the date on your naturalisation certificate/citizenship ceremony), then s/he is automatically a British citizen by descent and can apply for a Certificate of Entitlement of Right of Abode.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

MEP10JL
Newly Registered
China

Post by MEP10JL » Wed May 29, 2019 1:30 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 10:03 pm
If the child was born after either one parent became a British citizen (the date on your naturalisation certificate/citizenship ceremony), then s/he is automatically a British citizen by descent and can apply for a Certificate of Entitlement of Right of Abode.
I have been looked through gov.uk. I can't find any requirement for certificate of entitlement

Are there any requirements/documents I need to provide?

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri May 31, 2019 12:32 am

Same requirements as a British passport.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.