ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

FLR (M) Joint child tax credits

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

dewiwr
Newly Registered
Mood:

FLR (M) Joint child tax credits

Post by dewiwr » Fri May 31, 2019 7:34 am

Hi,

I'm a British Citizen and my Wife is here on a FLR (M) Visa. I just got our annual Tax Credits review form and I see on this form it says (and confirmed when I called them) that we're claiming the child tax credits as a couple. I'm pretty sure (it's been about 14 months) I claimed as a single parent since my wife has 'no recourse to public funds'. I called the helpline and it wasn't much help.

Will it be an issue that we're claiming the child tax credits as a couple?

Thanks so much,
Dewi.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: FLR (M) Joint child tax credits

Post by CR001 » Fri May 31, 2019 8:19 am

You are suppose to claim as a couple when claiming tax credits.

Claiming as a 'single parent' would be incorrect as you are NOT a 'single parent' and this could be viewed as fraud.

Tax credits, when claimed jointly, is not considered public funds.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 4.0ext.pdf
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

dewiwr
Newly Registered
Mood:

Re: FLR (M) Joint child tax credits

Post by dewiwr » Fri May 31, 2019 8:23 am

Thank you,

I must have confused it with Child Benefit - That's what I had to claim as a Single Parent. I just panicked seeing the couple part thinking it would affect the Visa next year.

Thanks for your help - and also this board was so much help when we initially applied for the 30 month Visa in December 2017. You're helping so many people and we're all grateful.