ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

E-Gates for Australian visa holders??

Only for UK Tier 5 (Temporary work) points system
Also includes the Youth Mobility Scheme Tier 5

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

kortz91
Newly Registered
Australia

E-Gates for Australian visa holders??

Post by kortz91 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:03 am

Hi all,

I don't know if this has been asked or answered before - with the new changes that came into place in the UK with regards to the E-Gates being made available for Australian's (woohoo), what implications does this have for an Aussie that is entering the UK for the first time on their T5 visa?

I'm seeing a lot of mixed answers with some saying to still report to the immigration officers to have their passport stamped and visa activated, however others are saying they have approached boarder control and they advised that they should have just used the E-Gates, that it is all being done electronically.

Any help and guidance would be great! :D

The Station Agent

Re: E-Gates for Australian visa holders??

Post by The Station Agent » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:31 pm

I think if you have the visa in your passport (entry clearance sticker) then you should be able to use the E-gates.

The people who can't use the E-gates are those who are working and would get their work permission conveyed by a Border Force officer on arrival (you'll have yours conveyed by the visa I would think).

So, bands on tour who use their Tier 5 CoS as an entry document - they mustn't use the E-gates. But I guess most others can use them.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:24 pm

kortz91 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:03 am
with the new changes that came into place in the UK with regards to the E-Gates being made available for Australian's (woohoo), what implications does this have for an Aussie that is entering the UK for the first time on their T5 visa?
It just means they can use the eGates.
kortz91 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:03 am
I'm seeing a lot of mixed answers with some saying to still report to the immigration officers to have their passport stamped and visa activated
The guidance from the Home Office is very clear about the few people who should not use the eGates, and it does not include people with Tier 5 entry clearance:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -uk-border

People warning otherwise are either trolls or simply misinformed.

Leave to enter is not activated by being stamped, but by the holder entering the UK. This includes being stamped in, or using the the eGates, or entering without going through immigration control at all, for example if entering from the Republic of Ireland. You can refer people to the Immigration (Leave to Enter and Remain) Order 2000. See https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukdsi/20 ... 0/contents
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

kortz91
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by kortz91 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:49 pm

Thank you both for the prompt and helpful advice :) :D

Much appreciated!