ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visa4UK - Ancestry Visa Dependants Visa Type?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

alittleanxious
Newly Registered
Mood:
South Africa

UK Ancestry Visa - Some Questions

Post by alittleanxious » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:08 pm

Hi all,

Hoping for a bit of real-world advice on some Ancestry Visa-related concerns I have, as I can’t find anything online.

My wife is eligible for an Ancestry Visa, and will be applying soon. Me, her spouse, and our 2 young children will also apply as part of her application. There is a precedent so we are confident there will be no issues.

But, does anyone have any information on the following:

1. Is the spouse able to travel to the UK forst? I actually have a solid job offer and our thinking would be for me to go ahead and settle in, find a place to stay, get a bank account, apply for schools, etc. Or does the entire family need to enter the UK at the same time?

2. If the spouse is able to travel ahead, is there a time limit on when the rest of the family can join (assuming everyone received their visas on the same date)?

3. If the primary visa holder (my wife) has to be in the UK to “activate” the visa, would it be possible for both of us to enter the UK to do this, and then for her to return home to tie up loose ends, etc.?

Hugely grateful if anyone can offer some good advice on the above.

Thanks,
A

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: UK Ancestry Visa - Some Questions

Post by CR001 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:44 pm

1. Not sure if you can enter without the main Ancestry visa holder initially. Your status in the UK is wholly dependent on your spouse, the main ancestry visa holder, being present in the UK. Note your children need to be in the UK re schooling as the Council will expect to see evidence of their passports and visas/entry stamps. You cannot apply directly to the schools for admission. The process is done and controlled through the Council. As an aside, what evidence of accommodation are you submitting with your Ancestry visa application??

2. See #1 above.

3. Yes you can do that.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

alittleanxious
Newly Registered
Mood:
South Africa

Post by alittleanxious » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:23 pm

Thanks so much, that’s what I thought might be the case.

Regarding accommodation, the hiring company is providing a place to stay for 30 days as part of a relocation package. Alternatively, we have friends in the UK that can put us up for a while.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:21 pm

Either should be fine.

For friends though, you will need their passport copies and visa details if relevant and council tax etc.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

alittleanxious
Newly Registered
Mood:
South Africa

Visa4UK - Ancestry Visa Dependants Visa Type?

Post by alittleanxious » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:14 pm

Hi there,

My wife is the primary applicant for an Ancestry Visa, so she is applying via the Gov.uk website, which is pretty straightforward. Our understanding is that all dependants (i.e. me and our 2 children aged 13) need to apply seperately via the Visa4UK website.

I am getting started with these, but am immediately confused as to the Visa Type to use for each applicant. The one that seems to be most straightforward for the spouse (adult) is as follows:

Reason for Visit: Work
Visa Type: Non Points-Based Working Visas
Visa Sub Type: Dependants of more than 6 Months

This category asks a bunch of questions about employment and financial contributions, which simply makes no sense when applying on behalf of a 13 year old. What visa type should we be using for the dependants (spouse + 2 children under 18) on the Visa4UK website?

Thanks,
Anxious :)