ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for citizenship right after getting a permanent status?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

mulder
Germany

Applying for citizenship right after getting a permanent status?

Post by mulder » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:47 pm

I am an EEA national currently working in the UK and holding a pre-settled status.

Recently, I have been told that there is a type of permanent status that is retroactive. That is, one could apply for citizenship immediately after getting this permanent status, and not after one year of holding it, as it is usually the case.

Is that correct?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Applying for citizenship right after getting a permanent status?

Post by CR001 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:51 pm

That would be the normal (old) PR application as the date of attaining PR is backdated if you can prove a period of 5 years exercising treaty right etc

If you have pre settled status, then you don't have 5 years etc.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

mulder
Germany

Post by mulder » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:17 pm

CR001 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:51 pm
If you have pre settled status, then you don't have 5 years etc.
True, I definitely don't have 5 years yet. I was just curious.

Would this option be still open in the future? Or would it be not possible to apply for this (old) PR application in a couple of years? E.g. after Brexit and such.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:22 pm

Unclear what will happen with Brexit etc.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

mulder
Germany

Post by mulder » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:25 pm

CR001, I guess I misunderstood what you meant.

So this retroactive thing didn't allow anyone to apply for citizenship after just 5 years? It was just possible for an EEA national who already spent over 6 years in the UK to get a PR status retroactively and apply for citizenship right away?

But there is no way around this 5+1 years condition? Right? (But counting marrying a Brit, of course.)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:46 am

For citizenship your need 5 years residence and the last year must be on PR yes, so 6 years in total.

Retroactive is the wrong word to use btw.

PR can be back dated if there is my period of continuously exercising treaty right for 5 years and an applicant can prove they attained PR automatically under the era rules at XY date. Settled status is not back dated as it granted under the immigration rules Appendix EU.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Nerazzuri

Post by Nerazzuri » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:42 pm

Based on what you've described, there's no difference in how long it will take you through Settled Status or PR route. The only thing that can impact whether or not you need to wait an additional year after settled status or PR is if you're married to a British citizen.