ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Masters degree study visa (non EEA)

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

squirrel1
Newly Registered
Chile

Masters degree study visa (non EEA)

Post by squirrel1 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:11 am

Hello everyone,
I am VERY confused about how to get the D study visa.
I am from Chile. I am awaiting for some full scholarship results, but I need to know the "steps" in advance (because I am going away to Europe now in the summer holidays to take some important courses). I have my offer letter, my current passport expiry date is 24 sept 2020, the scholarship would cover all my living expenses and study fees.
1. Is it true the visa application process lasts 8 weeks?
2. Can I apply for the visa IN Ireland? I am coming back from my holidays to Chile in mid August, and the course starts in mid September. ( I heard that PhD students just get in the country and from there they have to get the visa for the PhD).
3.I am also confused about them being "single "entry". I want to travel for example in Easter holidays to another European country, etc.
Thank you very much for your help.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Masters degree study visa (non EEA)

Post by littlerr » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:36 am

1. Yes. If your offer is from a reputable university it normally takes much lesser time.
2. No. You are not allowed to change a short term visit permit to long term study visa, as your personal circumstances need to be assessed by the embassy in your country.
3. All long term residence entry visas (type D) are single entry visas. Once you get in to Ireland, obtain a stamp from the immigration control, and then go to the immigration office to register your status. You will get a credit card sized Irish Residence Permit which will allow you to leave and re-enter Ireland at any time.

squirrel1
Newly Registered
Chile

Post by squirrel1 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:34 pm

[/quote]
2. No. You are not allowed to change a short term visit permit to long term study visa, as your personal circumstances need to be assessed by the embassy in your country.
[/quote]
Thank you very much, littlerr for your very prompt reply. I have a few questions:
* I was thinking in case of getting the scholarship the next few days to apply for the visa while I am away in Germany. Is it not possible, right?
As I am going away from the end of June until the 16 of August and the course start date is the 16 of September, I don't think 4 weeks would be enough to get the student visa. *So, before my trip to Germany, is it possible to do the application and retain my passport (to travel to Germany during the summer) while the application is processed? I read about that here https://www.dfa.ie/irish-embassy/german ... r-ireland/ although this is information for German residents, I think maybe it could be possible. :?:

*I was reading http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/re ... stgraduate "3. When you arrive in Ireland.
If you are allowed into the country at border control, an immigration officer will place a landing stamp in your passport.
The landing stamp gives you permission to stay here up to the date indicated (typically 90 days).
You must visit a registration office before the date on the landing stamp expires to:
Extend your permission to stay (ie longer than 90 days), and
Be registered by immigration
If you don't get permission/register in time, you may have to leave the country. "
It is talking about postgraduate students. Am I not allowed to do that then? :?:

Thank you very much for all your help!

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:15 pm

I know some embassies allow you to submit a full copy of your passport. They will check all pages when you submit the application, and then they will allow you to keep your passport. This is available in some embassies. You should check with the embassy that you plan to submit your application.

I'm not sure whether you can submit your application in a country in which you are not a resident of. Some countries like USA allow this, but most other countries don't allow it. Again, you should check with the embassy.

All long-term residents (study included) will get a landing stamp the first time they land in an Irish airport. It has nothing to do with postgrad or undergrad - anyone who intends to live in Ireland for more than 3 months will need to do the same.