ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish citizenship 2018 - absence after application

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

MrsJP
Newly Registered
Ireland

Irish citizenship 2018 - absence after application

Post by MrsJP » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:37 pm

Hi all,
Looking for some advice, please help.
I made my application for Irish citizenship by naturalisation in June 2018. I got my passport back in July 2018 along with application reference number and a letter saying that my application is not yet fully examined. Letter did not mention anything about moving to second stage. i’ve called citizenship dept multiple times to enquire the status, but they keep saying their usual response ‘application under processing’. I believe my application still is in initial stage of processing.
Now my query is , due to unavoidable personal circumstances I have to travel out of Ireland for a longer period for more than 6 weeks. Do I need to notify the dept.to hold my application during my absence. Is this OK? Will it affect my application in any way. Please let me know what is the best way to deal with my situation.

Thanks and regards.

Jordans
Ireland

Re: Irish citizenship 2018 - absence after application

Post by Jordans » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:01 pm

Your residence is counted back from the date of application so the absences after the application has been posted won't be considered. In case your application is refused and you have to reapply, you will have to take into account this new period of absence. Hopefully, that is not your case! All I would do before the departure is ensure someone receives post regularly on your behalf in case you get a letter with a request for more documentation -- they give you 28 days to post the required documents back.

Dubman01
Newly Registered
United Arab Emirates

Post by Dubman01 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:39 pm

MrsJP wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:37 pm
Hi all,
Looking for some advice, please help.
I made my application for Irish citizenship by naturalisation in June 2018. I got my passport back in July 2018 along with application reference number and a letter saying that my application is not yet fully examined. Letter did not mention anything about moving to second stage. i’ve called citizenship dept multiple times to enquire the status, but they keep saying their usual response ‘application under processing’. I believe my application still is in initial stage of processing.
Now my query is , due to unavoidable personal circumstances I have to travel out of Ireland for a longer period for more than 6 weeks. Do I need to notify the dept.to hold my application during my absence. Is this OK? Will it affect my application in any way. Please let me know what is the best way to deal with my situation.

Thanks and regards.
Dear members on this forum,
I'm in the same situation...can you please let me know what happens if i'm absent for more than 6 weeks after submitting the application a year ago? will it be refused? Can they refuse after receiving the second stage letter as well due to 6 weeks absence after application?
Thanks in advance and really appreciate any advise on this matter.

Dubman01
Newly Registered
United Arab Emirates

Post by Dubman01 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:35 pm

Anyone please?

markem
Mood:
New Zealand

Post by markem » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:00 am

Dubman01 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:39 pm
Can you please let me know what happens if i'm absent for more than 6 weeks after submitting the application a year ago? will it be refused?
See this answer...
Jordans wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:01 pm
Your residence is counted back from the date of application so the absences after the application has been posted won't be considered. In case your application is refused and you have to reapply, you will have to take into account this new period of absence. Hopefully, that is not your case! All I would do before the departure is ensure someone receives post regularly on your behalf in case you get a letter with a request for more documentation -- they give you 28 days to post the required documents back.
And on your other question...
Dubman01 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:39 pm
Can they refuse after receiving the second stage letter as well due to 6 weeks absence after application?
Your application can be refused at any time up to the point it is granted (and beyond that there a process to revoke citizenship in certain cases). Absence from the state after the date of your application does not change your reckonable residency calculation. It is possible that if INIS finds out that you have left the state for an extended period of time after making the application they might take it into consideration in deciding whether to grant citizenship or not. I can't see any clear guidelines or rules on this.
Timeline threads here:
2020 /
2019 / 2018 / 2017 / 2016

Dubman01
Newly Registered
United Arab Emirates

Post by Dubman01 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:17 pm

Thanks for your response dear @markem. Should I inform the department of my absence of more than 6 weeks?...I've received my second stage letter few days back and not sure how to deal with my situation as there are no clear instructions anywhere regarding absence after application (Ireland is my primary residence anyway) . If i inform the department will there be any adverse reaction from them and they could refuse my application straight away?..please let me know your suggestion.
Thanks again.

markem
Mood:
New Zealand

Post by markem » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:06 pm

Dubman01 wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:17 pm
Should I inform the department of my absence of more than 6 weeks?
Check the letters you have received for guidance. I think the instructions on the first letter ask you to notify them of change in circumstances (address, employment, marriage, etc). You can judge if your time away amounts to a change in circumstances, or just a long holiday.
Timeline threads here:
2020 /
2019 / 2018 / 2017 / 2016

Dubman01
Newly Registered
United Arab Emirates

Post by Dubman01 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:54 pm

Thanks @markem.

pissedoffbyinis
Pakistan

Post by pissedoffbyinis » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:09 am

There is no such thing that you can not leave the country after the application as you have completed your time period for citizenship.. but make sure you come back to the country within 3 months as GNIB becomes invalid if you are not back in the country within 3 months.
I even know a friend of mine who applied from another country but retained her address in Dublin to receive her correspondence and she was alright but she kept on visiting the country on 89th day :)

Dubman01
Newly Registered
United Arab Emirates

Post by Dubman01 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:07 am

pissedoffbyinis wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:09 am
but make sure you come back to the country within 3 months as GNIB becomes invalid if you are not back in the country within 3 months.
Hi,

Are you sure friend? is there any such case that they denied entry if it is more than 90 days eventhough IRP is still valid?

Regards.

pissedoffbyinis
Pakistan

Post by pissedoffbyinis » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:13 am

i am cent percent sure... for confirmation drop an email to citizenship office and you will get double confirmation.
Dont say that you are planning to leave but say that you are planning 3-4 month holidays back home or something like that.