ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Form AN British citizenship application question - residency rules

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

madhafu
Newly Registered

Form AN British citizenship application question - residency rules

Post by madhafu » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:19 am

Hi Guys,

Sorry if this is an obvious one but, I need to bounce ideas off others! x

Discretionary leave held July 2009 (following a failed visa extension applictaion and then reapplication resulting in DL).

Order of leave:
Discretionary leave July 2009-July 2015 (6years), ILR granted Jan 2016.

Background:
Married to British citizen with 2 children also British.

Applied for Citizenship under section 6(2) in 2016 but, declined due to overstay period in 2008 before new DL granted - good character requirement failed so, advised to apply after 6 July 2019.

Applying now for Citizenship under 6(1), because 3 years ago I was not in the UK for 6 weeks on holiday with ym family so, under 6(2), my application would be rejected. Hope this makes sense. My ILR was granted not under marriage but, from discretionary leave I held 6years.

Can one apply for citizenship under 6(1) even though married to British citizen and lived permanentlywith ILR in the UK the last 3years?

5 years back date I was in the UK but, 3 years back I was not as we were on summer holiday. They can't turn around and force me to apply under section 6(2) as married to British citizen right?

Sorry if not explained clearly wanted to give as much intel as possible.

Thanking you gratefully for your inputs in advance!
x

madhafu
Newly Registered

British citizenship application - 3/5 year residency rules

Post by madhafu » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:32 pm

As above.