ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

20 hours work as self employed

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Macram18
Newly Registered
Mood:
Libya

20 hours work as self employed

Post by Macram18 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:57 am

Hi everyone,

Want an advice on whether it’s OK to work the supplementary 20 hours on the tier 2 as self employed.

I’m a Physiotherapist and will be providing physiotherapy privately as self-employed. I will obviously be keeping a record of the hours worked and tax return through HMRC self-assessment.

Is this ok? Will this have any impact on my ILR application in the future? If it does I will just not do it :)

Many thanks

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Re: 20 hours work as self employed

Post by Frontier Mole » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:35 am

Based on supplying the same service as your COS this is allowed as self employment. Keep a tight record of your time usage but also bear in mind you have administrative duties to run your business too. That has to be within the 20 hours, so don’t book out 20 hours of appointments per week.

Macram18
Newly Registered
Mood:
Libya

Post by Macram18 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:52 pm

Frontier Mole wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:35 am
Based on supplying the same service as your COS this is allowed as self employment. Keep a tight record of your time usage but also bear in mind you have administrative duties to run your business too. That has to be within the 20 hours, so don’t book out 20 hours of appointments per week.
Thank you for your advice. What you are saying makes absolute sense.
I am thinking of contacting an accountant to cover the HMRC aspect of things.
However, I still worry a bit as I have read online that the fact I will be reporting private income to the HMRC is a breach of Tier 2 terms.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Post by Frontier Mole » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:12 pm

Was generally considered outside of tier 2 visa conditions- test case overturned it. I was one of the many naysayers myself if you look at my older posts.

It is still an area to be wary of if someone strays from their SOC code. You will be doing the exact same activity- no issues.

Macram18
Newly Registered
Mood:
Libya

Post by Macram18 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:36 pm

Do you know if this information exists in any home office document? and if not, is it possible to actually get something in writing from the home office?

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Post by Frontier Mole » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:38 am

Supplementary employment
para 225

You do not need to inform us of any supplementary employment, as long as it is:
in either a job which is included on the Shortage Occupation List in Appendix K of the Immigration Rules, or a job in the same profession, and at the same professional level, as the work for which your Certificate of Sponsorship was assigned; and
no more than 20 hours per week; and
• outside of the normal working hours for which your Certificate of Sponsorship was assigned.
In addition, you must continue to work for your sponsor in the job recorded on your Certificate of Sponsorship.

Tier 2 Policy Guidance (Version 03/2019) Page 54