ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help with a Fiance Visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

hphills
Newly Registered
United States of America

Help with a Fiance Visa

Post by hphills » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:36 pm

American, 22F, looking for some guidance and advice for obtaining a visa to marry and live with my boyfriend, 28m, UK citizen living in Bury.

I am finishing up college here in the US and the plan is for me to move there end of Summer 2020 on a fiance visa. We would like to become officially engaged during my trip this August 2019. This will be my first trip to the UK. We are trying to plan ahead as I understand immigration takes time, and I am hoping someone here can give me some guidance. I have researched fiance visas, but haven't found all the info I am looking for.

Currently my fiance does not work. He has been diagnosed with high functioning aspergers, and his case worker has deemed him unable to work at this time. I am not entirely sure how benefits work in the UK, but his rent is paid for (I believe subsidized housing) and he recieves money for his bills.

It is my understanding there is an income requirement for the fiance visa, which I do not believe he meets. My question is, are we able to apply to have this requirement waived because of his aspergers? Or if I am able to support myself, would this qualify? My plan is to work from now until August 2020 to accumulate a savings for myself to live on. I have about $30,000 right now. We also plan to marry asap so that I can apply for the marriage visa and work. I am unsure what jobs I will be able to find, however, as my US education is not on the job shortage list.

The final option is for him to come to the U.S to marry, but I'm not sure how that works. We would still plan for me to move to the U.K.

Thanks everyone! - Hannah

physicskate
Diamond Member

Re: Help with a Fiance Visa

Post by physicskate » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:55 am

hphills wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:36 pm
American, 22F, looking for some guidance and advice for obtaining a visa to marry and live with my boyfriend, 28m, UK citizen living in Bury.

I am finishing up college here in the US and the plan is for me to move there end of Summer 2020 on a fiance visa. We would like to become officially engaged during my trip this August 2019. This will be my first trip to the UK. We are trying to plan ahead as I understand immigration takes time, and I am hoping someone here can give me some guidance. I have researched fiance visas, but haven't found all the info I am looking for.

Currently my fiance does not work. He has been diagnosed with high functioning aspergers, and his case worker has deemed him unable to work at this time. I am not entirely sure how benefits work in the UK, but his rent is paid for (I believe subsidized housing) and he recieves money for his bills.

It is my understanding there is an income requirement for the fiance visa, which I do not believe he meets. My question is, are we able to apply to have this requirement waived because of his aspergers? Or if I am able to support myself, would this qualify? My plan is to work from now until August 2020 to accumulate a savings for myself to live on. I have about $30,000 right now. We also plan to marry asap so that I can apply for the marriage visa and work. I am unsure what jobs I will be able to find, however, as my US education is not on the job shortage list.

The final option is for him to come to the U.S to marry, but I'm not sure how that works. We would still plan for me to move to the U.K.

Thanks everyone! - Hannah
There are certain benefits that will make you exempt from the income requirement. Not all benefits do this, but certain disability or carer benefits do. This is not my area of expertise and others would need to advise you.

However, I can advise you to marry in the US and apply directly for a spouse visa to the UK. This will make you eligible to work on arrival as well as get access to the NHS. If you apply as a fiance, you will not be allowed to work or access free healthcare until you marry and then apply for the subsequent visa. There is a waiting period before you can marry in the UK, unlike in the vast majority of places in the US. You would be paying the vast sum for two visas in quick succession if you marry in the UK via the fiance visa route. He could come and visit and marry on one of those trips. He does not need a special visa to marry in the US if he is not planning on staying long term after the wedding.

You've never been to the UK. It's a little premature to plan on moving here, if you ask me. What if you love the idea, but hate the actual place? It's also different moving somewhere as opposed to visiting... Have you lived abroad before? What challenges adjusting do you think you might face? There are HUGE cultural differences between the US and UK that are often downplayed unless you've actually experienced them.

If you don't have UK qualifications or experience, it is often very difficult to get a job. The North of England is a bit worse for this than the Southeast. I speak from experience on that front. It might be an idea for him to move the US for some years while you establish some work experience (as he doesn't work) which may then translate over here. The US allows third party sponsorship and the UK does not (if he does not recieve the right benefits that exempt you from the financial requirement).

Have you met your boyfriend?