ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switch from youth mobility visa to unmarrried partner visa.

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

CanadianUK88
Newly Registered
Mood:
Canada

Switch from youth mobility visa to unmarrried partner visa.

Post by CanadianUK88 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:21 pm

I’m curious Im Canadian and my partner is a British citizen, as I am on a youth mobility visa currently for 2 years starting sept 3 2017 however I did not arrive in the UK until sept 24 2017, since I am 21 days short of the 2 year requirement for switching to an unmarried partner visa what are my options? I was visiting back and forth “living” with my partner essentially he put me on the tenancy agreement and water bill in Aug (waiting for my visa to come through, knowing that we would be cohabiting) So I have sufficient evidence but my passport states that I was only here through July on a visitors visa (6m) and came back to the uk sept 3 once my youth mobility visa came through. What would be my best option?

CanadianUK88
Newly Registered
Mood:
Canada

Re: Switch from youth mobility visa to unmarrried partner visa.

Post by CanadianUK88 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:37 pm

I’m curious Im Canadian and my partner is a British citizen, as I am on a youth mobility visa currently for 2 years starting sept 3 2017 however I did not arrive in the UK until sept 24 2017, since I am 21 days short of the 2 year requirement for switching to an unmarried partner visa what are my options? I was visiting back and forth “living” with my partner essentially he put me on the tenancy agreement and water bill in Aug (waiting for my visa to come through, knowing that we would be cohabiting) So I have sufficient evidence but my passport states that I was only here through July on a visitors visa (6m) and came back to the uk sept once my youth mobility visa came through. What would be my best option?

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:24 pm

You will need more than your name on the tenancy and a water bill. In order to succeed with an Unmarried Partner visa the Case Worker will want to see documented evidence of a relationship 'akin to marriage for the full 2 year period.
From the Immigration Rules:
13. SET5.13 What types of evidence might demonstrate living together and a relationship akin to marriage / civil partnership?
The applicant must provide six pieces of correspondence addressed to him / her and their partner at the same address as evidence that they have been living together during the past 2 years. The items of correspondence should be addressed to them jointly or in both their names. If they do not have enough items in their joint names, they may also provide items addressed to each of other individually if they show the same address for both of them. The documents provided must be originals and should be spread over the whole 2 years; they should also be from at least 3 different sources. Examples of what documentation the applicant could provide are listed below:

Joint commitments, (such as joint bank accounts, investments, rent agreements, mortgage, life insurance policy naming the other partner as beneficiary etc);
Birth certificates or records of any children of the relationship, showing both partners as parents;
Any official correspondence linking both partners to the same address, for example Council Tax, utility bills, Doctors records;
Any other evidence that adequately demonstrates the couple’s long-term commitment to each other.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ners-set05
14. SET
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

CanadianUK88
Newly Registered
Mood:
Canada

Post by CanadianUK88 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:55 pm

Oh I’ve got much more than those two pieces but not starting from July.. I think you misunderstood my question, I’ve got gp registration, bank stmts, pay slips, water bills, tentancy agreement, letter from employer etc.. I’m asking basically can I use time “living together” on a visitors visa before my youth mobility visa started towards to 2 years?

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:57 pm

The time spent together on a visitor visa may be contentious, as you can't be seen as 'residing' in the UK while here as a visitor. Others may have more clarity on this.

Assuming you entered the UK as a non-visa National, were you asked by the Immigration Officer on entry
the reason for your visit :?:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

CanadianUK88
Newly Registered
Mood:
Canada

Post by CanadianUK88 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:31 am

Correct me if I’m wrong but you don’t need to be a citizen of a country or hold a valid visa to rent/buy property and have utilities in your name also you can register to vote on a visitors visa. I just find it hard to believe with that being true they wouldn’t take my time on a visitors visa as living together akin to marriage, yes I had to go home for no longer than a month to sort out some things and wait for my visa to go through.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Post by Frontier Mole » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:59 am

CanadianUK88 wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:31 am
Correct me if I’m wrong but you don’t need to be a citizen of a country or hold a valid visa to rent/buy property and have utilities in your name also you can register to vote on a visitors visa. I just find it hard to believe with that being true they wouldn’t take my time on a visitors visa as living together akin to marriage, yes I had to go home for no longer than a month to sort out some things and wait for my visa to go through.
Your time on a visit visa will not be counted towards the two years. So you will fall short of the two years.

As for the tenancy agreement- the agreement is actually illegal as the landlord is bound by law to ensure the tenants have the right to remain. You didn’t have a visa that allowed that so the document will cause more issues than you could believe.

You cannot legally register to vote if you are on a visit visa, does the council make checks no. The onus is on the individual to ensure they qualify.

Any documents that pre date your entry to the UK under YMS will be discounted as you can’t start the 2 year clock under the visit visa. The gap between you leaving and returning under YMS ensures not matter what the clock started on your return.

You will have to apply for another type of visa to remain to cover the missing days and vary it to unmarried partner thereafter.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:57 am

Also bear in mind that you will only be able to switch to another category of visa (excluding a Spouse visa) from within the UK.

Do you by any chance have a grandparent who was born in the UK? If so, you may qualify for an Ancestry visa. :idea:

If you choose to marry in the UK, you should consider the timescale in respect to your Tier 5 visa expiring.
You are required to give notice with a Home Office designated Registry Office. The Registrar is then legally bound to notify the HO who can then extend the notification period from 28 to 70 days in order to interview you both if they choose to do so, before the marriage can take place.
(Casa, not CR001)

CanadianUK88
Newly Registered
Mood:
Canada

Post by CanadianUK88 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:31 am

So what about if my partner had lived in Canada with me on a visitors visa? Cause I have a friend in that situation, they only have 1 year and 10 months on their YMS but their partner was in Canada before on a visitors visa. How come that counts but uk visitors visa doesn’t?

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Post by Frontier Mole » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:05 am

Different countries - different rules

CanadianUK88
Newly Registered
Mood:
Canada

Post by CanadianUK88 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:29 am

That makes absolutely no sense..visitors visa is a visitors visa, it means you don’t reside there..how come they use travelling in different countries and living together Aswell even though you have no permanent address..which I’ve also heard of people using towards there 2 years together..the system is totally flawed :?

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Post by Frontier Mole » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:39 pm

Home Office immigration flawed, surely not. The very idea it is less than perfect may have crossed a few of the minds of the people using this site though 🤔

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:58 am

Frontier Mole wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:39 pm
Home Office immigration flawed, surely not. The very idea it is less than perfect may have crossed a few of the minds of the people using this site though 🤔
Agreed. In addition, it is outrageous that different countries have different rules/ laws, no?

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:10 pm

Casa wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:57 pm

Assuming you entered the UK as a non-visa National, were you asked by the Immigration Officer on entry
the reason for your visit :?:
My question above may be significant in assessing an Unmarried Partner visa application. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)