ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Bringing my mother in law to UK

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Jon.Mason

Bringing my mother in law to UK

Post by Jon.Mason » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:53 pm

Hi, I am a British National and have my Moroccan wife and my eldest son in the UK with me, wife is on a settlement visa, son is on a british passport.

My mother in law lives in morocco and is looking after our youngest son whilst we prepare a passport for him.

I am hoping I can apply for a visa for my mother in law so she can bring my son to UK when he has a passport, and also stay for 6 months and help me wife settle in.

My mother in law is a stay at home mum, her husband is a state employee with a job teaching. He earns a good salary and they live in their own apartment in a city centre in Morocco.

I am hoping the fact that she has stability and prosperity in Morocco will demonstrate that she doesn't intend to overstay in the UK.

What type of visa should I apply for and what approach should I take to maximise my chances?

Casa

Re: Bringing my mother in law to UK

Post by Casa » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:31 pm

A standard visitor visa application, with documented proof of stronger reasons to return to Morocco than she has to remain with you in the UK. This should include evidence of financial self-sufficiency, property ownership, family ties in Morocco etc.

A six month stay for the first visit may be considered to be too long. :idea:

https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor-visa
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Jon.Mason

Post by Jon.Mason » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:42 pm

How long do you recommend we try for to maximise chances of success? I thought you were granted 6 months of visa time regardless of how long you planned to come for?

Would her husbands income count as proving her self sufficiency? If evidence of his home ownership, income, and their marriage and co-habitation were provided, would this be enough to show she has no need to overstay?

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:57 pm

Jon.Mason wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:42 pm
How long do you recommend we try for to maximise chances of success? I thought you were granted 6 months of visa time regardless of how long you planned to come for? Yes, but the Entry Clearance Officer could consider that if your mother-in-law can be away for 6 months, her home ties may not be strong. I would suggest she requests a stay in the UK of 3-4 months and should also abide by this or future visitor visa applications may be compromised.

Would her husbands income count as proving her self sufficiency? If evidence of his home ownership, income, and their marriage and co-habitation were provided, would this be enough to show she has no need to overstay? Documented evidence, such as copies of the family book for each family member living in Morocco should strengthen the application.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Jon.Mason

Post by Jon.Mason » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:28 pm

Ah ok thanks we will do that. Will her leaving in 4 months demonstrate her observance of the rules and increase chances of future visas being approved?

What is a family book?

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:08 pm

In Moroccan Arabic the family book is the Hala Madaniya (in French Livret de Famille)

It's a civil record of marriages and births within a family. Your wife will know exactly what this is as all Moroccan families have one.

Spanish families for example have the equivalent - the Libro de Familia.

Adhering to the time stated in the visitor visa application will be in your mother-in-law's favour for future applications.
(Casa, not CR001)

Jon.Mason

Post by Jon.Mason » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:32 pm

Is there a list of documents and evidences I can attach to the application to make it easier for my mother in law to maximise her chances of success?

Also is there a template for an invite letter I can write to say she will stay with me, and she is invited here etc?

Any resources etc that you might be aware of, or information, tips etc that will be useful in forming my application will be much appreciated. Thanks

Jon.Mason

Post by Jon.Mason » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:51 pm

Is there any list of evidences and documents etc I need to apply for a visitor visa? I found online lists and guidance etc for the settlement visa for my wife and it helped a lot to get a successful outcome