ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Laurie9434

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Laurie9434 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:35 pm

LeifRnR wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:01 pm
Just checking in to report still waiting. Haven't heard anything since application received email on 8/14/2018!
I received the confirmation email from Dublin on
Aug 15, 2018. Application and documents received. I haven’t heard anything since. Where are you? Did you have to send it through the embassy?

Laurie

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:48 pm

Dth wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:01 am
Hello,

I wondered if someone could help with some wisdom. I applied today in person at the Irish Consulate Hong Kong. Grandfather’s birth/death certs Father’s birth/certified copy passport and same for me. However, my wife is pregnant and due 8th November somthey also requested a letter from the hospital and pur marriage certificate to expedite the process so our daughter can also acquire citizenship.

Does anyone have experience in these cases?

I have met the Consul General a couple of times but would rather not bug him - he’s promised many consular drinks in the future, don’t want to spoil that!
I also applied from one of the Chinese missions in August 2018. If you have gone to the consulate in person then the document set should have been checked in front of you and confirmed as OK. Your marriage certificate should have been one of the standard documents you prepared and not an addition.

There was a case in the old thread of someone who applied from Ireland and requested expedition on the basis of pregnancy. She received her FBR in March I think and the department ensured that she was on the register prior to the birth. You only need to be added to the FBR in order for your child to derive citizenship through you. If the date of certificate printing or delivery is later that is of no concern.

In my case (which did not involve expedition) it took 3 months and 14 days to be added to the FBR. Therefore, if the baby is due in November and you have an expedited case, things should be fine.

If you have been informed that a hospital letter attesting to the fact of the pregnancy has been requested then you should try to source one as quickly as possible and hand it in. The FBR application review process will not begin until the document set is complete. I suggest getting a letter from a doctor at the hospital on paper with the official hospital letterhead. This should verify the fact of the pregnancy, the due date and that you are the father. Getting it stamped is also a good idea.

powerbook1
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by powerbook1 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:23 am

Submitted my application today in China, and now preparing myself for the long wait

One interesting thing noted from the consular officer was they claimed my documents would not be sent to Dublin for checking, and would instead remain in the embassy. Has anyone else been told this, as reading the thread, seems almost everyone has had their documents sent to Dublin?

LeifRnR
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by LeifRnR » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:24 am

Laurie9434 wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:35 pm
LeifRnR wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:01 pm
Just checking in to report still waiting. Haven't heard anything since application received email on 8/14/2018!
I received the confirmation email from Dublin on
Aug 15, 2018. Application and documents received. I haven’t heard anything since. Where are you? Did you have to send it through the embassy?

Laurie
We are in Portland Oregon. My wife sent her application and documents to Ireland probably 2 weeks prior to her receiving the email stating that her application and documents have been received. At that time, she was told the processing would be a short 6 months. Can't be long now...................

Dth
Newly Registered
Mood:
Hong Kong

Post by Dth » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:29 am

Thank you Sulla - yes the Dr’s technical looking email with contact details was included, very efficient HK Chinese lady said it was fine.
Powerbook1 - I got the same impression the documents stay in HK and are returned.

Court2

Post by Court2 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:57 am

Glad to see that a more accurate 'applications will take 6 to 12 months' has been edited on the DFA's FBR website page. Although 6-12 months remains a wildly wide ranging estimate, we all know it is closer to 9-12 months currently. :wink:

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:30 am

Court2 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:57 am
Glad to see that a more accurate 'applications will take 6 to 12 months' has been edited on the DFA's FBR website page. Although 6-12 months remains a wildly wide ranging estimate, we all know it is closer to 9-12 months currently. :wink:
Yes I saw that 6-9 months is now the standard time. I think they are operating at the upper margin of that revised timescale. It is at least a little more accurate.

Why it takes that long ( considering that it appears that the checks that are actually being done to verify certificates etc are minimal) is a continuing puzzle.

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:00 am

powerbook1 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:23 am
Submitted my application today in China, and now preparing myself for the long wait

One interesting thing noted from the consular officer was they claimed my documents would not be sent to Dublin for checking, and would instead remain in the embassy. Has anyone else been told this, as reading the thread, seems almost everyone has had their documents sent to Dublin?
I was not told anything like that when I applied in August 2018. I was advised the documents would be checked again in Dublin. I assumed this meant physically checked. However, it is quite possible that to improve security of the documents and reduce costs, they may have opted to scan the documents and send them to Dublin that way for checking. I would prefer my documents to remain in the relative calm of one of the Chinese missions rather than be sent into the overwhelmed chaos of the FBR section in Dublin anyway. It's a good thing.

Dth
Newly Registered
Mood:
Hong Kong

Post by Dth » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:19 am

The initial document application is built on a standard Microsoft .NET framework - I can see by eye but open in your favourite browser and check the properties of the page, think you’ll find that is correct. 3.x my guess.

It may well be a Sharepoint intranet site with extranet qualities built in. A custom secure form for external users.

The problem that people on forums like this make are weird speculations; I’m involved in a lot of forums.

“I wasn’t told xyz when I applied ...”
Before you comment - ask yourself, was it relevant; was it pertinent to your application; is it helpful to inform people you “weren’t told”. This last one you can only answer once you have completed your process.

“...overwhelmed chaos of the...”
Don’t speculate about the office regime and operational status of an Irish governmental department of which you ask goodwill and have no clue other than your own desperate attempts to gain order from an online forum as to how likely they are to help you out. If you would like to post some evidence of this “overwhelmed chaos” feel free to. Please be accurate and tell the truth.

Its good life advice, too.

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:34 pm

Dth wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:19 am
The initial document application is built on a standard Microsoft .NET framework - I can see by eye but open in your favourite browser and check the properties of the page, think you’ll find that is correct. 3.x my guess.

It may well be a Sharepoint intranet site with extranet qualities built in. A custom secure form for external users.

The problem that people on forums like this make are weird speculations; I’m involved in a lot of forums.

“I wasn’t told xyz when I applied ...”
Before you comment - ask yourself, was it relevant; was it pertinent to your application; is it helpful to inform people you “weren’t told”. This last one you can only answer once you have completed your process.

“...overwhelmed chaos of the...”
Don’t speculate about the office regime and operational status of an Irish governmental department of which you ask goodwill and have no clue other than your own desperate attempts to gain order from an online forum as to how likely they are to help you out. If you would like to post some evidence of this “overwhelmed chaos” feel free to. Please be accurate and tell the truth.

Its good life advice, too.
My FBR and passport issuance processes both completed quite some time ago. If you had read the forum you would have ascertained that quite easily. I certainly would have liked to have known that my supporting FBR documents would not leave the embassy. That would have brought me peace of mind.

Once more, if you had read the forum thoroughly, you would have seen many posts describing what people are told when they call the DFA (no easy feat) regarding the state of their application. Phrases like "completely overwhelmed" and "boxes full of applications piled up everywhere" are relatively common. Different people are told radically different things with regards to what month is being processed and expected wait times. Non-complex applications made at the same point in time are approved as much as 6 months apart. Citizenship confirmation emails are sent out to some but not to others. Basic printing of certificates can take up to 3.5 months. In one case, someone even received another applicant's supporting documents and FBR certificate back in the post. I don't know what your definition of "overwhelmed chaos" is, but I don't think it is an unjustified designation in this instance.

I seek no goodwill from the DFA / FBR section. I merely expect them to follow the law as set out in the Irish Nationality Act, the civil service code of conduct and the terms as described in the FBR application. Like the police or other government employees, DFA employees are paid to perform a function. This should be performed in compliance with the rules as set out governing whatever they are doing. Goodwill does not enter into it. Other's may feel differently and I have heard many express the idea that Irish citizenship is a privilege. That's fine. I choose to view it as my legal right and an administrative procedure. That should also be fine.

Jaxx22
Finland

Post by Jaxx22 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:16 pm

I don't know how the documents are dealt with via an embassy, if they keep them and scan them over or send them over, I would assume the former would be an easier option for them but who knows.

I spoke with a nice chap who advised I should write to them with the new address details, so that will be winging its way in the post once I work out what service I need to send international mail tracked. I asked while on the phone about progress and it seems I am in final stages :) so hopefully not too much longer, I might just double check in a few weeks to make sure the address has been changed for my own peace of mind. I was expecting to be holding for a long time to get through but I actually got through pretty quickly (thanks to the person who suggested when to call)

Micheal congratulations to your cousin too!

LeifRnR
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by LeifRnR » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:34 pm

Gave FBR a call to check status this AM. On hold for about 8 minutes. Was told when application was received (8/14/18). He said it has not been processed and estimated could take 12 months. Also asked about changing address as we have sold our house in preparation for a move to Europe. Glad we made alternate plans and have applied for residency visa through Portugal. Have a strong feeling that will come first.

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:07 pm

LeifRnR wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:34 pm
Gave FBR a call to check status this AM. On hold for about 8 minutes. Was told when application was received (8/14/18). He said it has not been processed and estimated could take 12 months. Also asked about changing address as we have sold our house in preparation for a move to Europe. Glad we made alternate plans and have applied for residency visa through Portugal. Have a strong feeling that will come first.
If it is the golden visa in Portugal that you are referring to, then my mother in law did that 2 years ago and processing the residency component took about 7 months for her. However, I heard they have improved the system somewhat and it could be lower now.

As for your FBR application, you applied on the same day I did. How they can't even have touched your application and started processing is beyond me. This is especially the case when you consider that other US based August applicants have been getting their certificates lately.

usczkat
Mood:
United States of America

Post by usczkat » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:13 pm

Sulla wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:07 pm
LeifRnR wrote:
If it is the golden visa in Portugal that you are referring to, then my mother in law did that 2 years ago and processing the residency component took about 7 months for her. However, I heard they have improved the system somewhat and it could be lower now.

As for your FBR application, you applied on the same day I did. How they can't even have touched your application and started processing is beyond me. This is especially the case when you consider that other US based August applicants have been getting their certificates lately.
I also emailed them the other day to inquire (again) as to the status. Didn't really expect to hear anything different, and didn't. It was stated that they show having received it Aug. 22, 2018, and tha5t it may be up to a year, not able to confirm anything else. Seems as if there are slow down periods between groups of us receiving the congrats email like the one Michael and his cousin recently got. Is it a thought that they do try to keep the number of participants at a certain number in order not to have too large of groups when the ceremony happens? Still glad to be here with you all to keep thoughts and progress updated as best as we are all able.

LeifRnR
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by LeifRnR » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:22 am

Sulla wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:07 pm
LeifRnR wrote:

No, we did not go the Golden Visa route. Just the standard non lucrative/retirement resident visa. Essentially one qualifies by background check, paid healthcare, and financial security. We just had our consulate appointment in San Francisco this week. Was told about 8 weeks to receipt. This is consistent with others we know that received theirs. A lot more hoops and expense vs FBR, but again, we have better control of the situation and glad we did apply now that our house is sold and we quit our jobs!

emlyn
Newly Registered

Post by emlyn » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:41 pm

My application was received by London Embassy mid-Jan 2019 and transferred to / received by Balbriggan in mid-Feb 2019. I understand 6 months is now an unlikely timeframe which, for me personally, is no issue. If my application is straightforward, it will probably (hopefully) be November or December this year when I get my FBR/citizenship. Worst case, 12 months, Feb 2020?

I see a lot of August 2018 applications are finalising at the moment, which is good news for those who have waited for a 10 month turnaround. However, I was wondering whether any later applications have been finalised? (i.e. those from September, October, November, December 2018). Has anyone here applied after August 2018 who has their FBR/citizenship already? (excluding those who have been fast-tracked due to having a child due)

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:43 pm

usczkat wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:13 pm
Is it a thought that they do try to keep the number of participants at a certain number in order not to have too large of groups when the ceremony happens? Still glad to be here with you all to keep thoughts and progress updated as best as we are all able.
There is no ceremony involved in the FBR process. As a consequence, this cannot be the reason for the difference in processing times. There has yet to be a theory proposed that plausibly explains situations like the variance found between LeifRnR and myself or that between yours and Michael's.

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:48 pm

emlyn wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:41 pm
I see a lot of August 2018 applications are finalising at the moment, which is good news for those who have waited for a 10 month turnaround. However, I was wondering whether any later applications have been finalised? (i.e. those from September, October, November, December 2018). Has anyone here applied after August 2018 who has their FBR/citizenship already? (excluding those who have been fast-tracked due to having a child due)
No. Not a soul (that we are aware of) who applied any later than August of 2018, has received a citizenship confirmation email or their FBR certificate. In addition, as you can see, there are still a substantial number of August applicants who have not heard anything.

August 2018 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2018.

Sean – received August 2nd (Added to FBR December 19th 2018)
Spav – received August 3rd (Added to FBR December 11th 2018)
Amcbamcb – received August 8th (Added to FBR May 17th 2019)
Hol292 – received August 10th / Pending
Sulla – received August 14th (Added to FBR November 28th 2018)
LeifRNR – received August 14th / Pending
Laurie – received August 15th / Pending
Michael – received August 21st / (Added to FBR June 7th 2019)
Donna – received August 21st / (Added to FBR June 7th 2019)
Upliam _ received August 22nd / Pending
USczKat – received August 23rd / Pending
Pumps100 – received August 29th / Pending
MaddeningBike – received August 30th / Pending
Nydccub – received August 31st / Pending

usczkat
Mood:
United States of America

Post by usczkat » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:10 pm

Sulla wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:43 pm
usczkat wrote:
Is it a thought that they do try to keep the number of participants at a certain number in order not to have too large of groups when the ceremony happens? Still glad to be here with you all to keep thoughts and progress updated as best as we are all able.
There is no ceremony involved in the FBR process. As a consequence, this cannot be the reason for the difference in processing times. There has yet to be a theory proposed that plausibly explains situations like the variance found between LeifRnR and myself or that between yours and Michael's.
Thanks for the reply and your insight Sulla. Is there not a naturalization after receiving the fbr approval, I thought I had heard of something like that.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:27 pm

usczkat wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:10 pm
Sulla wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:43 pm
usczkat wrote:
Thanks for the reply and your insight Sulla. Is there not a naturalization after receiving the fbr approval, I thought I had heard of something like that.
No. Naturalisation ceremony are for naturalised citizens (normally foreign citizens who have lived in Ireland for more than 3-5 years depending on a number of factors). You need to declare your fidelity to the state in front of a presiding judge in the ceremony. The citizenship can be taken away in some extreme circumstances (e.g. if you are also a citizen of another nation who is at war with Ireland, or if you have lived outside Ireland for more than 7 years and you have not declared the intention of keeping your Irish citizenship).

FBR is simply a registration process. Once you are registered, you are an Irish citizen. You don’t need to declare your loyalty and it cannot be taken away.

Laurie9434

Post by Laurie9434 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:43 am

LeifRnR wrote:
First, 12 MORE months or 12 months TOTAL? I’m in Las Vegas, so I also sent mine directly to Dublin. I received my email stating they received it all on August 15. 2018. Glad you had a plan B, especially since none of us in this time frame were expecting this long wait!

Laurie

chrisinpm
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by chrisinpm » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:00 pm

LeifRnR wrote:
What did they tell you about changing your address?

I moved and sent them a letter asking for the mailing address on my application to be updated. I included a copy of my FBR application, plus two utility bills showing proof of new address. It was guesswork because I couldn't find anything on the website indicating what to do in the event of that situation.

LeifRnR
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by LeifRnR » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:38 pm

Laurie9434 - I took it to mean 12 months total.

chrisinpm - We were told for changing the address of our application to send proof of that address (a bill etc) to:
Mr. Xxxxxxxxx
PO Box 13003
Balbriggan County
Dublin Ireland

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:43 pm

LeifRnR wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:38 pm
Laurie9434 - I took it to mean 12 months total.

chrisinpm - We were told for changing the address of our application to send proof of that address (a bill etc) to:
Mr. Xxxxxxxxx
PO Box 13003
Balbriggan County
Dublin Ireland
Please do not name officials on the forum.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Jaxx22
Finland

Post by Jaxx22 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:12 pm

For change of address I was asked to put in writing and send tracked. I wasn't asked to send any new proof of address letter... not that I even have any yet. I just put my current address, application number and new address and when valid from in a letter.