ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship application and benefits

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

alicia123
Newly Registered
Russia

Citizenship application and benefits

Post by alicia123 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:29 pm

Hello Gurus,

I am looking for some advice.

I applied for British Citizenship in March 2019 and still waiting for the decision.

I have never worked in the UK and have been supported by my husband all this time. However, my husband has been made redundant few months ago and he is struggling to find another job. We are concerned about his employment prospects due to Brexit ( he works in financial services) and considering our options. The question is if we apply for benefits ( housing, council tax benefits etc) will this application somehow affect my pending application for UK citizenship? Is there are a chance I will get refused because I have applied for benefits?

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Citizenship application and benefits

Post by CR001 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:32 pm

The question is if we apply for benefits ( housing, council tax benefits etc) will this application somehow affect my pending application for UK citizenship? Is there are a chance I will get refused because I have applied for benefits?
No and No.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:34 am

alicia123 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:29 pm
Hello Gurus,

I am looking for some advice.

I applied for British Citizenship in March 2019 and still waiting for the decision.

I have never worked in the UK and have been supported by my husband all this time. However, my husband has been made redundant few months ago and he is struggling to find another job. We are concerned about his employment prospects due to Brexit ( he works in financial services) and considering our options. The question is if we apply for benefits ( housing, council tax benefits etc) will this application somehow affect my pending application for UK citizenship? Is there are a chance I will get refused because I have applied for benefits?

Thanks
The Council Tax Reduction benefit is dealt will by your local council. Each council decide their own reduction amount and if they will give this. Make sure you tell them in writing, that you are subject to immigration control so that can be used in any reduction calultations in council tax that they might give to your British citizen husband.

Housing Benefit is no longer dealt with by the councils and has now been replaced by Universal Credit. It doesn't look like he can claim extra benefits for you. Both in a couple are expected to work.
https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/you ... sibilities

Both of these are means tested benefits and they will look at your husband's redundancy amount to see if they will give any benefits.

A Contribution based benefit is New style Jobseeker's Allowance, limited to 6 months but does not take into account any capital or your earnings for when you find a job.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-j ... -allowance

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:40 am

alicia123 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:29 pm

I have never worked in the UK and have been supported by my husband all this time.
A UK state pension is based on our own contributions only. When you find a job, you will start to contribute towards a UK state pension by paying National Insurance Contributions.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:01 am

I have just realised that you must have ILR. Forget the bits above about not being allowed Public Funds.

For Universal Credit, if you are allowd this as it is means tested, you will both have to attend the job centre as often as told to, both go on work experience, if you do not have a child that is below the age of 1 as both are expected to work to get them off benefits. A child under age 1 would allow one of you not to work full time.