ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

SPANISH SCHENGEN VISA FOR NON-EU SPOUSE OF BRITISH CITIZEN WITH LESS THAN 3MONTHS BRP VALIDITY

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

teckytop
Newly Registered

SPANISH SCHENGEN VISA FOR NON-EU SPOUSE OF BRITISH CITIZEN WITH LESS THAN 3MONTHS BRP VALIDITY

Post by teckytop » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:12 pm

So first, I am really glad I came across this forum as the information I was able to glean off here helped me in my schengen application process which was successful.

So a little background first. I own a Nigerian Passport with a UK Spousal visa that expires July 2019 while my son and husband are British citizens. We plan to travel to Spain for the first two weeks of May 2019.

Seeing as a requirement is that your BRP be valid for 3months from the return date of your trip, I had two problems
1. My BRP will be expiring 1st July 2019 which is less than 2months from our return date to the UK in May 17th
2. Uk Spousal visa in the 5year route can only be renewed once and this is within 28days before the 1st 2.5year visa expires.

This is how I went about addressing the issues above:
First, I sent an email to the Spanish consulate informing them of the issues above and informing them that the UK Home office confirmed I can only extend my visa 28days before it expires. Bear in mind I still had 4months + validity on my visa at this time. They replied saying to send in my application and it would be accepted but this does not guarantee my schengen visa will be granted. Fair enough.

Next, I completed the schengen form as an EU family member and made copies of this with other documentation and sent a covering letter to the Spanish consulate requesting for an appointment date.

The consulate forwarded my application to BLS, who then contacted me and offered me a premium appointment as all the normal appointments were full. I remember the agent saying premium appointment was £70 and I reiterated that I am not meant to pay for any appointment and she backtracked saying I don't have to pay.

So appointment date secured, I provided the following documents with copies:
1. Completed schengen form
2. Letter from myself
3. Husbands British Passport
4. My passport and BRP
5. Passport photos x2
6. Letter from husband
7. Travel insurance (optional)
8. Marriage Certificate

Now on producing my marriage certificate, I was told I have to get this Apostilled which I said was not the case. Got transferred to a supervisor who I then told to show me the link in their checklist where it listed Nigeria as one of the countries required to Apostille marriage certs. This could not be provided so as we kept reading the checklist another option was providing my son's British passport, birth certificate and an utility bill in our names. We opted for that option. However I still argued that our marriage certificate was accepted by the UK Home office which is the basis for my Spousal visa being issued but oh well in the end I was granted a multiple entry 90days Visa from May to October 2019.

Hope this helps anyone who is in the same boat as me. :D

Ps. Make sure to apply before the validity left on visa becomes less than 3months.

ibwe
Mood:
Bulgaria

Re: SPANISH SCHENGEN VISA FOR NON-EU SPOUSE OF BRITISH CITIZEN WITH LESS THAN 3MONTHS BRP VALIDITY

Post by ibwe » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:28 am

Hi, teckytop.

Awesome and very helpful read. This shows the importance of proper documentation and being a bit versed on the EU/EEA laws on free movement and entry procedures.

I would love to see many successful stories here from others. Kudos to you!

ljdebenedictis
Mood:
Philippines

Re: SPANISH SCHENGEN VISA FOR NON-EU SPOUSE OF BRITISH CITIZEN WITH LESS THAN 3MONTHS BRP VALIDITY

Post by ljdebenedictis » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:26 pm

When they asked you to pay for premium service, what is the actual reason? Is it because you are EU family member?

Basically, I got an appointment to VFS in London for Cyprus tourist visa (as a family member of EU citizen) which is I know free but the guy on the phone said that because the appointment is premium service, I will be paying £60 on the day of my appointment. I’m already booked on Tuesday 9th of July. Do I actually need to pay for that? If not what do i need to tell them?

Thank you xx

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:49 pm

ljdebenedictis wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:26 pm
I got an appointment to VFS in London
You will likely be charged for going via VFS.

Going directly to the embassy normally gets you free service as the family member of an EEA citizen, but the embassies of EEA countries have reduced the number of hours they are accessible directly or have even eliminated that option altogether, as in the case of the Cypriot embassy in London.
Consular Information wrote:Family members of EU citizens are no longer able to apply directly to the Consulate General, all applications must be submitted through VFS Global.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

ljdebenedictis
Mood:
Philippines

Post by ljdebenedictis » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:17 am

secret.simon wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:49 pm
ljdebenedictis wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:26 pm
I got an appointment to VFS in London
You will likely be charged for going via VFS.

Going directly to the embassy normally gets you free service as the family member of an EEA citizen, but the embassies of EEA countries have reduced the number of hours they are accessible directly or have even eliminated that option altogether, as in the case of the Cypriot embassy in London.
Consular Information wrote:Family members of EU citizens are no longer able to apply directly to the Consulate General, all applications must be submitted through VFS Global.
Hello secret.simon, thank you for answering my question. Found out that visa fee is free but need to pay for premium service. I guess that’s not too bad, if I dont pay premium service the next appointment is at the end of the month.

Thank you again xx