ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How long do they keep your passport?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

calumcanada
Newly Registered

How long do they keep your passport?

Post by calumcanada » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:40 pm

Hello,

I am a Canadian citizen applying for naturalisation. However, an issue arises as I am unable to provide my passport for the 6-12 week processing time due to the need to travel for work.

Is there any way to shorten the period of time they have your passport for? Otherwise, I'm not sure if I'll be able to apply for some time.

Thanks,
Calum

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: How long do they keep your passport?

Post by CR001 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:43 pm

They don't keep your passport.

You apply on form AN online and make an appointment at UKCVAS Sopra Steria for document check and biometric enrollment. You scan and upload your documents before your appointment.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

johnsampson03
Newly Registered

Post by johnsampson03 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:30 pm

Hi Calum,

I only created this account to respond to you as the response from CR001, although well intended is completely incorrect.

Yes, you will be asked to submit your original Canadian Passport for the duration of this process, which is about 6 - 10 months. If you need to travel to the US, then there is an option for a Nexus Card. You will need to provide your Canadian Passport for that too, but it is very short. So here is what you should do if you are travelling to the US. Apply for your "Nexus Card" first, then proceed with your naturalization application.

There is no UKCVAS Sopra Steria centers in Canada. The Visa Application Centers, are managed by VFS Global. Here is the link to the ones located in Canada. https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/ca/en/vacs.

This information is correct assuming you are a Canadian Citizen applying for UK naturalization whilst living in Canada.

John

Nerazzuri

Post by Nerazzuri » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:31 pm

calumcanada wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:40 pm
Hello,

I am a Canadian citizen applying for naturalisation. However, an issue arises as I am unable to provide my passport for the 6-12 week processing time due to the need to travel for work.

Is there any way to shorten the period of time they have your passport for? Otherwise, I'm not sure if I'll be able to apply for some time.

Thanks,
Calum
If you're applying from within the UK for naturalisation having held Indefinite Leave to Remain, CR001 is 100% right. You will always have your passport with you during the application process. The only time you're without your passport is if you apply for a British passport after you become a citizen. You'd need to send the passport with which you entered the UK, as well as all valid current passports you hold, along with your certificate of naturalisation to HMPO and will be without your passport for roughly 2 (may 3) weeks.