ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Lee2521
Ireland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Lee2521 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:38 am

Yesterday I travelled to London and attended the event - New Diaspora Policy for Ireland which was a public consulation hosted by a the TD for Foreign Affairs and one of the crowd asked what was happening about the FBR delays and the reply was that of what we know already about the 200 + extra civil servants being taken on . After the consultaion had finished I asked the TD about the delays and then I was passed onto a member of his staff I believe but again I asked about the delays . So I asked that an estimate of when applications would be complete is needed but the reply was it's really hard to give a time with loads of applications because of brexit he also said if I had done everything right then I have nothing to worry about with mine but I replied some people have been waiting for a long time .

powerbook1
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by powerbook1 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:17 am

Jaxx22 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:11 am
Sulla wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:46 pm
powerbook1 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:04 am
Did anyone who submitted their application in a foreign embassy (not London) receive an email notification when their application arrived in Dublin?

The phone agent I spoke to claimed I should, but I noticed from other timelines in this thread, that maybe that isn't the case.
Not that I am aware of. Like you, I submitted by hand in China. I received no confirmation that the application arrived in Dublin.

Similarly, Jaxx submitted in Finland and has received no confirmation that it was received from the embassy or in Dublin.

It seems that this only takes place in the case of direct to Dublin applications.
That is correct, no confirmation of receipt of documents from either embassy or Dublin. I called the dfa last week to inform them of my move (which has now happened) and was told then that my application is in final stages - I don't really know what that means but I guess it means they did receive it all. I didn't have to send new proof of address like others have mentioned though, I don't yet have anything that I could send yet anyway.

So just now waiting and then it will be making sure it gets returned to the correct place!
Thanks both for clarifying

After speaking with the office & embassy, seems my document scans are now in the queue in Dublin to be attached to my application. With the backlog, they estimate it could take weeks even for this step to be done

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:31 am

Lee2521 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:38 am
Yesterday I travelled to London and attended the event - New Diaspora Policy for Ireland which was a public consulation hosted by a the TD for Foreign Affairs and one of the crowd asked what was happening about the FBR delays and the reply was that of what we know already about the 200 + extra civil servants being taken on . After the consultaion had finished I asked the TD about the delays and then I was passed onto a member of his staff I believe but again I asked about the delays . So I asked that an estimate of when applications would be complete is needed but the reply was it's really hard to give a time with loads of applications because of brexit he also said if I had done everything right then I have nothing to worry about with mine but I replied some people have been waiting for a long time .
Hi Lee

Thanks for posting this update. Do you know if he meant 200+ new civil servants fro the FBR section or just 200 for the DFA as a whole? It's hard to believe that with 200 more people working on FBR that they would not have been able to deal pretty swiftly with the 24000 or so applications they received from 2018.

It does not appear that they conduct a deep background check, so essentially the document check is what I witnessed in Beijing at the embassy. Basically, each document is checked against the others and the application form for conformity. That check did not last all that long (circa 10 mins) and I was told everything was in order. Therefore, with a staff of anywhere near 200+ they should be rattling through applications at quite a rate. However, this does not seem to be the case.

Brexit seems to me to be a convenient excuse since we are now over 3 years since the event. In China, they blame high population for everything below par. It seems that Brexit has assumed a similar role.

aine
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by aine » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:02 pm

Hello! I seem to have put myself in a sticky situation....

For the background info:
-My granny was born in Ireland, is currently an irish citizen.
-My dad was born in England, is currently an irish citizen.
-I was born in America.

I moved to Ireland in July 2018 and entered on a 90 day tourist visa. I have been in Ireland since, have not left the country at all. I never registered with immigration (my ignorance, didn't know) and I never got any sort of visa besides the 90 day stamp. It took me and my family a long time to gather all the official documents to apply for foreign birth registration and I applied in april 2019, confirmation email 23/04/2019 (sent to dublin office). Basically I gave the FBR office a call today, the man said "yep all received, you're looking at receiving it april 2020". I know it takes 6-12 months, but damn didn't think it would actually be 12 months!

So now I'm in a place of trying to get a job (I have a PPS from living in Ireland when I was a kid) and want to travel. I'm afraid to leave Ireland because I'm sure they'll look at my passport and see I've well overstayed the 90 days and not let me back in or fine me or whatever. I attend UCD, have finished my first year and will be going back for my second year this september, so I obviously need to get back in.

I know it's my fault for not registering with immigration and taking forever to do the FBR, I know I did this to myself. I never got any study visas or anything because I assumed the FBR would pull through faster than what happened (me faster and office faster), and thought 'why would I get a visa if I have the right to citizenship' (also had some advisers at UCD say the same thing). I'm trying to figure out if there is anything I can do, any visas I can apply for, anything I can register for, any way to travel? My dad lives in Ireland, the stay with family visa? I know of other americans studying at UCD that get study visas at the beginning of the school year? Do I just lay low until april 2020? Basically I'm scarred to step into an immigration office and get kicked out of the country. Anything, any advice will help so much!!

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:14 pm

aine wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:02 pm

I know it's my fault for not registering with immigration and taking forever to do the FBR, I know I did this to myself. I never got any study visas or anything because I assumed the FBR would pull through faster than what happened (me faster and office faster), and thought 'why would I get a visa if I have the right to citizenship' (also had some advisers at UCD say the same thing). I'm trying to figure out if there is anything I can do, any visas I can apply for, anything I can register for, any way to travel? My dad lives in Ireland, the stay with family visa? I know of other americans studying at UCD that get study visas at the beginning of the school year? Do I just lay low until april 2020? Basically I'm scarred to step into an immigration office and get kicked out of the country. Anything, any advice will help so much!!
I suggest that you post your request as a new thread in the Ireland section of the forum. Though it is connected to FBR, it is not the kind of question that this thread typically deals with. Your issues are mainly connected to immigration matters and visas. I think your case would attract the attention of others who perhaps have more knowledge or experience if it had its own thread.

If the FBR section say it will be April 2020 before you see a result then you should proceed on that assumption and plan accordingly. At present, things are heavily congested in terms of processing volume and most people are experiencing delays.

As for advice, I strongly suggest that as you are presently in Ireland illegally, that you contact an immigration lawyer as a matter of urgency. They will be able to give you professional advice on this.

From my own (limited) knowledge of Irish immigration procedures at the border, they do not actually check visa status of those exiting the country only those entering - much like the UK. However, they may obtain records from airlines to determine overstays. As for your education, is it not possible that your university will ask to see your study visa as part of your enrollment or continuation of study? It seems a bit odd that they have not. It definitely presents a risk that they will and this may jeopardize your continuation of the course. Therefore, I think clearing this up rather than waiting it out is the better and more legal option.

emlyn
Newly Registered

Post by emlyn » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:42 am

aine wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:02 pm
For the background info:
-My granny was born in Ireland, is currently an irish citizen.
-My dad was born in England, is currently an irish citizen.
-I was born in America.
Based on this, one potential resolution is British citizenship. Depending on dates/circumstances, you are likely already a British citizen based on your father's birth in England but can check/apply here: Apply for citizenship if you have a British parent

As a British citizen you would be free to live and work in Ireland under the Common Travel Area arrangement between the UK and Ireland.

If you're unsure at all, please see an immigration lawyer as Sulla suggested.

emlyn
Newly Registered

Post by emlyn » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:55 am

Further to my previous post, you may be able to get urgent assistance from the British Embassy in Dublin:
If you’re not a British citizen but think you may be eligible, contact us to apply for an emergency travel document

oction
Newly Registered

Post by oction » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:04 am

Hi all, posted on the last thread but not updated in a while. Since we are now discussing August 2018 submissions, I received my email acknowledging receipt on 1st August 2018 and nothing yet. I did get an email from DFA to ask to confirm my address around a week ago, but no congratulatory email yet. The waiting continues! Will update when I hear something further.

Lee2521
Ireland

Post by Lee2521 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:27 pm

Sulla wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:31 am
Lee2521 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:38 am
Hi Lee

Thanks for posting this update. Do you know if he meant 200+ new civil servants fro the FBR section or just 200 for the DFA as a whole? It's hard to believe that with 200 more people working on FBR that they would not have been able to deal pretty swiftly with the 24000 or so applications they received from 2018.

It does not appear that they conduct a deep background check, so essentially the document check is what I witnessed in Beijing at the embassy. Basically, each document is checked against the others and the application form for conformity. That check did not last all that long (circa 10 mins) and I was told everything was in order. Therefore, with a staff of anywhere near 200+ they should be rattling through applications at quite a rate. However, this does not seem to be the case.

Brexit seems to me to be a convenient excuse since we are now over 3 years since the event. In China, they blame high population for everything below par. It seems that Brexit has assumed a similar role.
Hi Sulla
The TD who is minister of state for Diaspora and international delevoplment Irish Gov, gave the reply to what's happening about the delays to the FBR applications? 200 staff have been taken on to help. But he didn't go into specifics on which part of the DFA whether it was solely for the FBR section or to cover the whole DFA with the FBR Balbriggan Co.Dublin.

Lee

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:35 pm

Haven’t checked in for sometime but just a quick update. Today, I went to the Boston consulate to hand deliver my passport application. My documents were looked over, copied and my original supporting documents including my FBR certificate were given back to me. Was also told that the passport tracker is completely useless and not to depend on it at all. I was then quoted 12-14 weeks for the passport.

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:50 pm

Michael123 wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:35 pm
Haven’t checked in for sometime but just a quick update. Today, I went to the Boston consulate to hand deliver my passport application. My documents were looked over, copied and my original supporting documents including my FBR certificate were given back to me. Was also told that the passport tracker is completely useless and not to depend on it at all. I was then quoted 12-14 weeks for the passport.
It seems to be taking a bit longer for passport issuance if 12-14 weeks is accurate. Mine took about 9 weeks to arrive in my hand, but my postal arrangements were more cumbersome than yours will be. I did not find the passport tracker to be immensely helpful, but it was at least reassuring. It was accurate to within a week in my case. At least when it indicates dispatched you will know to expect the passport back soon. The embassy did not inform me that the passport was ready until a week after dispatched appeared in the system. On the whole, I was definitely much happier with the passport service than with the FBR experience.

usczkat
Mood:
United States of America

Post by usczkat » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:03 pm

Still waiting, no birthday email, no independence day email, 10 months and 14 days and counting. :(

Court2

Post by Court2 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:29 am

Last call to DFA was not promising, mid-June told should be 'final approval' by end of the month. Yesterday, told will be the full 12 months.

No consistency and appears DFA have no accurate timescale to work from.

Disappointing considering when I applied I was told 6 months, this changed to up to 9 months earlier this year, and now it is 12 months allegedly. Goalposts moving constantly, so wouldn't be surprised if they begin quoting 18 months soon. :roll:

Don't bother calling for updates, they have nothing worthwhile to say!

Pumps100

Post by Pumps100 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:46 pm

usczkat wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:03 pm
Still waiting, no birthday email, no independence day email, 10 months and 14 days and counting. :(
Also still waiting, no birthday email, 10 months 7 days. No queries.

Ian

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:35 pm

Pumps100 wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:46 pm
usczkat wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:03 pm
Also still waiting, no birthday email, 10 months 7 days. No queries.

Ian
I was last quoted 13 months

Sulla: how long before it showed in the tracker?

Laurie9434

Post by Laurie9434 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:50 pm

Hi everyone!

So, I finally called the FBR office. After a 30 minute wait🙄, a lovely chap picked up. Hard to understand😂. He looked up my application and said “oh you’re almost at the top of the queue! Won’t be long now!” He said that they are working on early August at present. (Although, I know some of you who applied after me
(Aug 15) have gotten the congrats email!). But, I didn’t bring that up because he was hard to understand to begin with😂😂. Very pleasant man!! I think from the way things have been going, the 12 month timeframe may turn out to be correct. The original was 4-6 months. Absurd that it will be 12 now. Hoping maybe on my birthday (July 12). I know this info doesn’t really help anyone much, but it’s something!!

Laurie

Lee2521
Ireland

Post by Lee2521 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:34 pm

Not sure if this is related to admin following this thread.
I have been unable to get onto to this thread on 2 occasions lately for no
fault of my own. I went to check to see if anybody had posted anything today and I am meet with a message my IP address has been permanently banned. I would really like to know whom is doing this also why? I have requested a answer via the message I sent to the admin and still waiting for a reply.

My status
Online application 28/12/18
FBR application received 06/02/19

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:59 pm

Michael123 wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:35 pm

Sulla: how long before it showed in the tracker?
Mine appeared in the tracking system about 2 hours after I handed it over. By the time I got to the train station and thought to check, it was in there. However, I would not be shocked it it takes longer in your case. The embassy was very quiet on all the occasions I went there. I am sure this played a role in allowing them to deal with my application promptly. I imagine they are busier in the United States.

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:07 pm

Court2 wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:29 am
Last call to DFA was not promising, mid-June told should be 'final approval' by end of the month. Yesterday, told will be the full 12 months.

No consistency and appears DFA have no accurate timescale to work from.

Disappointing considering when I applied I was told 6 months, this changed to up to 9 months earlier this year, and now it is 12 months allegedly. Goalposts moving constantly, so wouldn't be surprised if they begin quoting 18 months soon. :roll:

Don't bother calling for updates, they have nothing worthwhile to say!
Sorry to hear that court. It is somewhat disconcerting that the estimated processing times keep on getting longer after applications have been received. I can understand why processing times are becoming longer due to backlog, but I don't really see how this would impact previously submitted applications. Rather, only new applications ought to be influenced. Nevertheless, it seems to be having this unfortunate effect on applications already in the system.

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:19 pm

Lee2521 wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:34 pm
Not sure if this is related to admin following this thread.
I have been unable to get onto to this thread on 2 occasions lately for no
fault of my own. I went to check to see if anybody had posted anything today and I am meet with a message my IP address has been permanently banned. I would really like to know whom is doing this also why? I have requested a answer via the message I sent to the admin and still waiting for a reply.

My status
Online application 28/12/18
FBR application received 06/02/19
Hi Lee

Personally, I have never had this IP banning issue. It would be hard because I use a VPN with scrambling to access all internet sites anyway. I can' see anything that you would have said that could lead to any restrictions being placed on you. Sometimes IP's are banned because they have been previously used by scammers / people posting advertising etc. It could be that.

What I have found is that on this forum posts that are critical of the DFA and the standards of their service often get deleted. Whereas, posts that praise the spirit of the department or personally attack critics of the DFA (not really their argument) are frequently permitted to remain. I have attempted to take this up with the Mods and they completely failed to engage. I hope you have better luck with Admin.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:39 pm

I use Nord VPN at workplace and it occasionally gave me this IP ban issue (I just choose a randomly picked IP address).

cordatum
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by cordatum » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:51 am

Aussie checking in here. Only recently applied, so God grant me patience.....

Applied online: 27 April 2019
Application received in Dublin: 24 May 2019
Everything else: pending

BrexitEscapee
- thin ice -

Post by BrexitEscapee » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:33 am

Sulla wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:19 pm
What I have found is that on this forum posts that are critical of the DFA and the standards of their service often get deleted. Whereas, posts that praise the spirit of the department or personally attack critics of the DFA (not really their argument) are frequently permitted to remain. I have attempted to take this up with the Mods and they completely failed to engage. I hope you have better luck with Admin.
I can shed some light on this for you. Whenever you have posted anything that I find unacceptable, I have immediately posted a forthright reply and, just as quickly, the mods have deleted both of our posts - probably before you've even had a chance to see my reply. There's no need to suspect the mods have a pro-DFA bias - they've obviously just adopted a no-tolerance policy to political bickering on the forum. The vast majority of your posts on here are critical of the FBR service and the DFA. However, I've only tackled you on the occasions where I've found your posts to be unacceptably 'political,' so the vast majority of your anti-DFA posts are still here for all to see.

Geosuzie
Newly Registered
Mood:
France

Post by Geosuzie » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:57 am

Hi everyone, newbie poster here so please forgive any breaking of protocol.
I am almost ready to submit my FBR however I am a bit confused by the registration form, am I in the right place to ask for help, or should I start a new topic?

So my question is, although I am applying through my paternal grandfather, on the page for parental details, why am I being asked for my father's date of naturalization? (he didn't do this so there isn't one!)
Do I just leave this blank? Sorry for being a bit dense but I don't really understand. Can anyone enlighten me?

Many thanks
Geosuzie

BrexitEscapee
- thin ice -

Post by BrexitEscapee » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:19 am

Geosuzie wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:57 am
So my question is, although I am applying through my paternal grandfather, on the page for parental details, why am I being asked for my father's date of naturalization? (he didn't do this so there isn't one!)
Do I just leave this blank? Sorry for being a bit dense but I don't really understand. Can anyone enlighten me?
On the 'General' tab on the application form, the third section asks you to choose between 5 options for how your parent acquired Irish Citizenship. It looks like you have selected 'Naturalisation.' If you change this to 'Birth to a person born in Ireland' you will find that the questions under the 'Parent' tab have changed - e.g. there is no longer a requirement to enter naturalisation information.

(Your father was automatically an Irish citizen, even if he never 'applied' for citizenship, because one of his parents was born in Ireland. Therefore 'Birth to a person born in Ireland' is the correct description for him in the 'General' tab.)