ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HRT and settled status

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Almo
Newly Registered

HRT and settled status

Post by Almo » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:50 pm

I apologise if this has already been discussed so I'll keep it short and simple.

My relative (but not related to me) has recently applied for universal credit and went through HRT. He has settled status. Hasn't worked since 2015 but is not actively lookin for work.
His question - during the interview, he was not asked to show his settled status, when he tried to show them the pdf he was sent, they said they don't need to see that. I'm assuming whoever is processing his claim will see his settled status when they check his passport?
I've read that if you have settled status you don't need to prove your right to reside and or pass HRT.
His concern is that because he was out of work for so long and had no income (lived off savings) he will fail.

Any advice you could give on this?

Almo
Newly Registered

Re: HRT and settled status

Post by Almo » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:02 pm

Could't find how to edit... he is now actively looking for work!

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:13 pm

Almo wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:02 pm
Could't find how to edit... he is now actively looking for work!
Perhaps because he just found out that he has to work for the Universal Credit benefit? He will have to do a lot more than "actively looking for work" - he is extected to work. Universal Credit has sanctions of up to 3 years.

He won't get much benefit money given to him as this is barely a survival rate benefit. How has he been managing to live if he hasn't worked since 2015.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:18 pm

Almo wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:50 pm

I've read that if you have settled status you don't need to prove your right to reside and or pass HRT.
Where did you read that? Even British citizens have to pass the HRT for benefits.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:21 pm

Almo wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:50 pm

His concern is that because he was out of work for so long and had no income (lived off savings) he will fail.
Ah, just read this. The will look at how he has spent his savings and decide if he has spent them too fast. The UK has deprivation of capital (to get benefits) rules. If they find that he has spent them too fast, he will be treated as if he still has those savings.