ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship application eligibility in May 2019

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

apsk
Member of Standing
India

British Citizenship application eligibility in May 2019

Post by apsk » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:32 am

Hi Experts,

With ILR granted on 10th May 2018 (via 5years Tier 2 G route), I understand I am eligible to apply for Citizenship any day after 9th May 2019. Since, there is new online system for the same, I would like to know if I can submit my online application anytime (even before 9th May 2019) and book appointment for 10th May 2019 ? I am sure I won't be able to book any appointment for 10th May on 9th May, and will need some time for referee form filling and scanning also. I may be just assuming things from my previous understanding when I booked my ILR appointment for 10th May 2018 on 4th April 2018 when I was eligible to apply ILR on 9th May 2018. Please advise.

Thanks in advance!

Casa

Re: British Citizenship application eligibility in May 2019

Post by Casa » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:54 am

Be careful :!: The date of online submission is the date of application. Submit this too soon and the application will be refused. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

apsk
Member of Standing
India

Post by apsk » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:39 pm

Thank you Casa for the prompt response. It looks like I will need to do online application on 10th May, not before that, unless anyone else can advise differently with some recent experience.

How soon this new system provides with appointment? I faced bit of trouble in ILR appointment book, it used to give appointment for almost 42nd day of online submission. For example, if I apply on 10th May which is Friday, would I be able to find something for Monday?

makky86
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by makky86 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:38 pm

apsk wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:39 pm
Thank you Casa for the prompt response. It looks like I will need to do online application on 10th May, not before that, unless anyone else can advise differently with some recent experience.

How soon this new system provides with appointment? I faced bit of trouble in ILR appointment book, it used to give appointment for almost 42nd day of online submission. For example, if I apply on 10th May which is Friday, would I be able to find something for Monday?
Its sensible to apply after you become eligible. Now a days you can get appointment like same day or in few daya at max.

Also remember you need to be in the UK the date of application counting 5 years back.
II Youths a stuff neve endures II

apsk
Member of Standing
India

Post by apsk » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:06 pm

Sure. Thank you! :)

apsk
Member of Standing
India

Address Change after online Naturalisation application

Post by apsk » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:21 am

Hi experts,

I submitted my online application on 10th may, and got appointment for 7th June, which is tomorrow. But on 17th May I moved my house so my address is different to what I submitted my application with. As I knew about my house move while submitting the application, I mentioned new address as correspondence address, but kept my real address that time.

I did email Citizenship.Support@homeoffice.gov.uk on 17th May informing them about the change in address with my application reference, but no response yet.

As I am going to attend appointment tomorrow, Could anyone advise what I can do to make sure UKVI got my updated address?

Thanks in advance.

joeano353
BANNED
Tuvalu

Post by joeano353 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:12 pm

It really amuses me as why people are so desperate to get British nationality the first day they are eligible. When one is moving in 7 days and certainly nothing is done by this department (HO) in seven days obviously just stick to the new address or apply 7 days later. Im not mocking anyone for being overly anxious to change nationality but if you are then you should be ready to suffer the consequences. Now you are in a panic in sending emails to HO and complicating everything. Your choice!!

Nerazzuri

Re: Address Change after online Naturalisation application

Post by Nerazzuri » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:55 pm

apsk wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:21 am
Hi experts,

I submitted my online application on 10th may, and got appointment for 7th June, which is tomorrow. But on 17th May I moved my house so my address is different to what I submitted my application with. As I knew about my house move while submitting the application, I mentioned new address as correspondence address, but kept my real address that time.

I did email Citizenship.Support@homeoffice.gov.uk on 17th May informing them about the change in address with my application reference, but no response yet.

As I am going to attend appointment tomorrow, Could anyone advise what I can do to make sure UKVI got my updated address?

Thanks in advance.
You could write a letter and have it included in the scanned document under ‘other’.

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:40 am

I also highly suggest to set up a mail redirection via royal mail
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

apsk
Member of Standing
India

Post by apsk » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:34 am

joeano353 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:12 pm
It really amuses me as why people are so desperate to get British nationality the first day they are eligible. When one is moving in 7 days and certainly nothing is done by this department (HO) in seven days obviously just stick to the new address or apply 7 days later. Im not mocking anyone for being overly anxious to change nationality but if you are then you should be ready to suffer the consequences. Now you are in a panic in sending emails to HO and complicating everything. Your choice!!
Nothing to panic really, and it is not desperation, it is to match travel plan. I take your point nothing will happen in 7 days but the thing is with mad rush sooner the better is what I think. And this was not a panic question, it was a normal question for any suggestion, perhaps you missed the point that correspondence is already given as new address. Thanks for your concern and sharing your feelings.

apsk
Member of Standing
India

Post by apsk » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:35 am

Nerazzuri wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:55 pm
apsk wrote:
Hi experts,

Thanks in advance.
You could write a letter and have it included in the scanned document under ‘other’.
Sure. Whom shall I address the letter to? Case officer, UKVI, Liverpool?

apsk
Member of Standing
India

Post by apsk » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:37 am

makky86 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:38 pm
apsk wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:39 pm

Its sensible to apply after you become eligible. Now a days you can get appointment like same day or in few daya at max. A month is the wait now a day :o

Also remember you need to be in the UK the date of application counting 5 years back.

Nerazzuri

Post by Nerazzuri » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:10 pm

apsk wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:35 am
Nerazzuri wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:55 pm
apsk wrote:
Hi experts,

Thanks in advance.
Sure. Whom shall I address the letter to? Case officer, UKVI, Liverpool?
That’s fine

joeano353
BANNED
Tuvalu

Post by joeano353 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:20 pm

Zimba wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:40 am
I also highly suggest to set up a mail redirection via royal mail
From what I have read, redirection is not a safe option. It basically entails the new occupant putting the letter back in the mail box saying RTS. Some dont bother to do that. They just throw it away.

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:50 pm

It may take few days to be set up but redirection makes all your mail to be rerouted upon entry to the royal mail network to your new address instead. It is a very safe option
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

apsk
Member of Standing
India

Re: British Citizenship application

Post by apsk » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:20 am

Hi all

While I am not panicking but just curious if anyone else had same situation and nothing to be worried about. Following application in May and document verification by Sopra Steria in first week of June, me and my wife both submitted our applications successfully. Last week my wife got citizenship ceremony invite from local council for next week, where I am still waiting for mine.
Though w e submitted our applications on same day, I was expecting citizenship ceremony for the same day.

PS: We both submitted individual application on same day though and same day was our appointment.

My question, is this normal? I am not panicking as I came in 2010 on student visa and my wife joined in 2012 as PSW dependent on me..so different situations but just slightly worried as each day is passing with nothing for me in post. Fingers crossed!!

Thanks in advance.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:28 am

Each application is individually processed as there is no joint application. Anybody's guess but each one could be with a different case worker with different work loads. Not necessarily an indication of complexity or issues.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Nerazzuri

Re: British Citizenship application

Post by Nerazzuri » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:07 pm

apsk wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:20 am
Hi all

While I am not panicking but just curious if anyone else had same situation and nothing to be worried about. Following application in May and document verification by Sopra Steria in first week of June, me and my wife both submitted our applications successfully. Last week my wife got citizenship ceremony invite from local council for next week, where I am still waiting for mine.
Though w e submitted our applications on same day, I was expecting citizenship ceremony for the same day.

PS: We both submitted individual application on same day though and same day was our appointment.

My question, is this normal? I am not panicking as I came in 2010 on student visa and my wife joined in 2012 as PSW dependent on me..so different situations but just slightly worried as each day is passing with nothing for me in post. Fingers crossed!!

Thanks in advance.
To put your mind at ease, that is completely normal. There have been instances where one person hears in 4 weeks and the other person hears in 4 months. It doesn't mean there's something wrong with your application either. It's down to the case worker, their case load and your circumstances.

apsk
Member of Standing
India

Post by apsk » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:40 pm

Thank you for the prompt responses. Much appreciated.

On another note, how does UKVI see "to be present 5 years before the date of application"?
I take date of application is the date we submit online, not the date we submit documents to Sopra Steria. Please advise if it is otherwise?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:46 pm

apsk wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:40 pm

On another note, how does UKVI see "to be present 5 years before the date of application"?
I take date of application is the date we submit online, not the date we submit documents to Sopra Steria. Please advise if it is otherwise?
Correct, date of application is the date you submit and pay online and that is the date/period you must have been physically present in the UK 5 years ago, i.e. the start of the 5 year residence qualifying period, i.e. not away on holiday or work. Note that this is a mandatory requirement and members have been refused for this reason.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

apsk
Member of Standing
India

Post by apsk » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:39 am

CR001 wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:46 pm
apsk wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:40 pm

Correct, date of application is the date you submit and pay online and that is the date/period you must have been physically present in the UK 5 years ago, i.e. the start of the 5 year residence qualifying period, i.e. not away on holiday or work. Note that this is a mandatory requirement and members have been refused for this reason.
Brilliant. Thanks

It is fine then. This question was in my mind because I wasnt here 5 years ago the day I submitted my documents at Sopera Steria center .. but I was in UK on the day I made my application online. So, this int my concern anymore.

apsk
Member of Standing
India

Post by apsk » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:56 am

Hi again Experts,

While waiting for something for me, thinking more i realized following 2 things:
1. After completing my degree, I did work in my University briefly for a week, for which I was paid some £100-£150. Since, I completely forgotten about this while making my application I didnt include that in my form.
2. When I started my full time job after my degree, it was a temporary contracting position, for which I was told to create a Limited company which I did. That company was operational only for 4 months as after 4 months I was offered a permanent role in same company and I accepted it. I had an accountant who took care of my company's formation, accounts, taxes, VAT and then dissolved it later. While he paid corporation tax and VAT due in time, he put my tax code wrong due to which right tax wasnt deducted that time. A year later I got letter from HMRC for underpayment of taxes, and if I remember correctly it was sorted by HMRC by changing my tax code of next year.

My concern/query: Could you anticipate any or both of above as any issue? If so, what action I take now at this point of my Naturalization application?

Thanks in advance.

apsk
Member of Standing
India

British Citizenship application submitted in May

Post by apsk » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:40 pm

Hi again Experts,

While waiting for something for me, thinking more i realized following 2 things:
1. After completing my degree, I did work in my University briefly for a week, for which I was paid some £100-£150. Since, I completely forgotten about this while making my application I didnt include that in my form.
2. When I started my full time job after my degree, it was a temporary contracting position, for which I was told to create a Limited company which I did. That company was operational only for 4 months as after 4 months I was offered a permanent role in same company and I accepted it. I had an accountant who took care of my company's formation, accounts, taxes, VAT and then dissolved it later. While he paid corporation tax and VAT due in time, he put my tax code wrong due to which right tax wasnt deducted that time. A year later I got letter from HMRC for underpayment of taxes, and if I remember correctly it was sorted by HMRC by changing my tax code of next year.

My concern/query: Do you anticipate any or both of above as an issue? If so, what action I must take now at this point of my application?

Thanks in advance

R-graphite
Mood:

Re: British Citizenship application submitted in May

Post by R-graphite » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:25 pm

Which Visa were you on when you became a director of a company?
apsk wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:40 pm
Hi again Experts,

My concern/query: Do you anticipate any or both of above as an issue? If so, what action I must take now at this point of my application?

Thanks in advance
I am not legally qualified, all my answers are from personal experience or readings. Please seek legal advice and don’t take my opinion as one.

apsk
Member of Standing
India

Re: British Citizenship application submitted in May

Post by apsk » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:22 am

R-graphite wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:25 pm
Which Visa were you on when you became a director of a company?
apsk wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:40 pm
Hi again Experts,

Thanks in advance
PSW (Post Study Work visa) and then switched to Tier 2 G when I accepted permanent position in the same company.