ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport challenges with patronymic name

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

dita7
Newly Registered

Passport challenges with patronymic name

Post by dita7 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:52 am

I've been told today by Home Office that I have two identities because my Russian external passport does not translate my Patronymic name, whilst other EU passport has it present. This is absolute bonkers! How can people who been entrusted with dealing with applications for non-UK born British citizens don't have common knowledge of international laws and principles? This is so bizarre!

joeano353
BANNED
Tuvalu

Re: Passport challenges with patronymic name

Post by joeano353 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:05 pm

dita7 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:52 am
I've been told today by Home Office that I have two identities because my Russian external passport does not translate my Patronymic name, whilst other EU passport has it present. This is absolute bonkers! How can people who been entrusted with dealing with applications for non-UK born British citizens don't have common knowledge of international laws and principles? This is so bizarre!
You should chill down a little. UK HO case workers are not fools as you are trying to make out to be. They probably are over cautious but if you think they should follow the rules and systems of 193 countries in the world, you are preposterous. Remember you are not the only Russian who has this problem and they would have known by now all about patronmic names. If you want a British passport, follow British rules and smoothen out your issues.

obm
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by obm » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:08 pm

joeano353 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:05 pm
dita7 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:52 am
You should chill down a little. UK HO case workers are not fools as you are trying to make out to be. They probably are over cautious but if you think they should follow the rules and systems of 193 countries in the world, you are preposterous. Remember you are not the only Russian who has this problem and they would have known by now all about patronmic names. If you want a British passport, follow British rules and smoothen out your issues.
I do not think joeano353 your defence of HMPO case workers is sound enough - very strict guidelines and overload of cases, pushed up by revenue margins - that's the reality of Tory gov't, which introduced all these silly rules of aligning names and other bs. In fact, she might be indeed the 'only Russian' with this problem as I have not heard any, absolutely anyone in my life here over 15 years now, who mentioned anything about problems with their russian patronymic. Canadians know about it (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-re ... -gcms.html), Americans do, and I'm sure may other big Western powers. BUT suddenly, out of the blue, one tiny overworked case worker decides to flag it and make life miserable for no reason whatsoever! That's what one can call 'preposterous'. The HMPO definetely need to smoothen their issues... :wink:

joeano353
BANNED
Tuvalu

Post by joeano353 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:25 pm

I am not so much defending HO case workers but advocating bending to the rules inorder to smoothen out the issue. Refusal of an application is not the decision by just one case worker but the decision confirmed by at least a supervisor. Once I called to clarify an issue and I was kept on hold whilst he "consulted his supervisor". So things are not taken lightly. If the government has decided that certain procedure should be followed, employees are duty bound to follow them and will follow them. Why do people believe that they have a right to something because other countries like Canada and the US do something different? You are not applying for a Canadian or US passport.

obm
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by obm » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:11 am

joeano353 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:25 pm
I am not so much defending HO case workers but advocating bending to the rules inorder to smoothen out the issue. Refusal of an application is not the decision by just one case worker but the decision confirmed by at least a supervisor. Once I called to clarify an issue and I was kept on hold whilst he "consulted his supervisor". So things are not taken lightly. If the government has decided that certain procedure should be followed, employees are duty bound to follow them and will follow them. Why do people believe that they have a right to something because other countries like Canada and the US do something different? You are not applying for a Canadian or US passport.
Straight to the point joeano353, indeed, we don't have any rights here and HO operates under Royal Prerogative, so no need for democratically passed through Parliament rules&regs, but of course we can bend to the arbitrary "rules" of the HMPO Policy Directorate - that's who supers have to go to in order to make any 'cautious' decisions (you'll see what I mean if you've read threads on british-citizenship/new-policy-regardin ... 16754.html)

joeano353
BANNED
Tuvalu

Post by joeano353 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:20 pm

Preciselly!!! British nationality is highly prized. They dont sell nationality like the Islands. Even if its an island. Name issue is trivial, but other countries too have rules that dont make sense. Being Canadian you believe that you are now the centre of the planet as its attracting the most immigrants. UK does not need to blindly follow the processes of other countries. Its not that we are treated like a nuisance but rules are made for a reason. I am not a sheep that follows but it has to be one rule for everybody not just for Crylic alphabet. People who use arabic have names that have to be phonetically translated and e, i, a can replace each other. They are refused if one document issued by their govt uses one in the brith certi, national id, passport. So why not the Crylic transliteration??

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:18 pm

joeano353 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:20 pm
Preciselly!!! British nationality is highly prized. They dont sell nationality like the Islands. Even if its an island. Name issue is trivial, but other countries too have rules that dont make sense. Being Canadian you believe that you are now the centre of the planet as its attracting the most immigrants. UK does not need to blindly follow the processes of other countries. Its not that we are treated like a nuisance but rules are made for a reason. I am not a sheep that follows but it has to be one rule for everybody not just for Crylic alphabet. People who use arabic have names that have to be phonetically translated and e, i, a can replace each other. They are refused if one document issued by their govt uses one in the brith certi, national id, passport. So why not the Crylic transliteration??
It may be unintentional, but your comments could be perceived as disrespectful to the OP. Please post with
consideration to avoid offence. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

dita7
Newly Registered

Post by dita7 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:37 pm

joeano353 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:05 pm
:) I am calm, just frustrated. HMPO are aware about patronymic names and they confirmed this fact on the phone, however they still use it as the reason for rejection and suggest a person has two nationalities ... this is simply .... decide for yourself :)

obm
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by obm » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:32 am

Surely there are many more such cases of frustration over clear sabotage of simple rules re passports. I would ask for any response from HO in writing though - somebody saying something over the phone is hard to prove afterwards...

obm
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by obm » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:41 pm

Here's an interesting prophetic post on this topic from a (former) UK immigration lawyer xxxxxxxxx from May 2018:

Link to blog by a banned forum member removed by moderator

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:49 pm

obm wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:41 pm
Here's an interesting prophetic post on this topic from a (former) UK immigration lawyer xxxxxxxxx from May 2018:

Link to blog by a banned forum member removed by moderator
The user you quoted has been banned from the forum for trolling, wholly incorrect advice and abuse of members.

Please do NOT post this persons name or details.

You should also read the forum rules in regard to posting any details relating to solicitors/advisors etc.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

obm
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by obm » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:54 pm

Ok, didn't know that was a problem - first time hear this name...

obm
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by obm » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:18 pm

Here's another interesting but old document, allegedly from Interpol UK branch, dating back to 2006 - clearly explaining different name structures, including Russian patronymics, which are not part of a person's name, but derivatives of that person's father's name - a useful piece of information about a person, but NOT that person's property for the purpose of international passport issue:
https://www.fbiic.gov/public/2008/nov/N ... K_2006.pdf
In English-speaking academic linguistic tradition, however, 'patronym' means something else - the first type of surname, derived from personal name of the father (e.g. John-son, son of John, McColl, Fitzpatrick, etc), I wonder whether HO has started to confuse things big time again...

joeano353
BANNED
Tuvalu

Post by joeano353 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:41 pm

Its about time you realise that HO or HMPO is not manned by fools. Everybody loves to dictate how HO should do their job. Strangely they are not even citizens yet but believe they know how the UK govt should do their job.

Casa

Post by Casa » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:05 pm

joeano353 wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:41 pm
Its about time you realise that HO or HMPO is not manned by fools. Everybody loves to dictate how HO should do their job. Strangely they are not even citizens yet but believe they know how the UK govt should do their job.
Please only post if you have any constructive advice, rather than criticism. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

R-graphite
Mood:

Post by R-graphite » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:16 pm

Precisely :!:
Casa wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:05 pm
joeano353 wrote:
Please only post if you have any constructive advice, rather than criticism. :idea:
I am not legally qualified, all my answers are from personal experience or readings. Please seek legal advice and don’t take my opinion as one.

joeano353
BANNED
Tuvalu

Post by joeano353 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:12 am

R-graphite wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:16 pm
Casa wrote:
joeano353 wrote:
Smartie pants R-grahite do you feel you are exempt from Casa's recommendation? You seem to only talk gibberish. I can tell you dont even know what patronymic means!! You should skip topics that go over your head.

joeano353
BANNED
Tuvalu

Post by joeano353 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:16 am

Casa wrote:
joeano353 wrote:
I am in no position to challenge a moderator, but allowing people to bash HO or HMPO case workers seems to be silly. People here talk a lot about paying a lot of money for bad service, a confused lot of people working as case workers etc. etc. People are doing their job and there has never been proven allegations of corruption. Yet its tolerable when people say they know the ways HO should be run!!! I believe that for you is constructive suggesting.
Recently there was a post about a Hungarian-Chilean couple having an English name with 3 passports and all 3 countries have different systems. I guess some wise people here qualify to have a go at HO and insist their system is the best system.

R-graphite
Mood:

Post by R-graphite » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:20 am

Smartie pants? What sort of language is that. Anyway I won’t digress out of respect to the OP...
joeano353 wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:12 am
R-graphite wrote:
Casa wrote:
joeano353 wrote:
Smartie pants R-grahite do you feel you are exempt from Casa's recommendation? You seem to only talk gibberish. I can tell you dont even know what patronymic means!! You should skip topics that go over your head.
I am not legally qualified, all my answers are from personal experience or readings. Please seek legal advice and don’t take my opinion as one.

joeano353
BANNED
Tuvalu

Post by joeano353 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:25 am

R-graphite wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:20 am
Smartie pants? What sort of language is that. Anyway I won’t digress out of respect to the OP...
joeano353 wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:12 am
R-graphite wrote:
Casa wrote:

It means you are overstepping your boundaries. You are not a moderator and you are just passing a comment that is not constructive. Just because you support the views of someone does not mean you should show how smart you are.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:42 am

@joeano353 You have been asked politely more than once to desist from posting inflammatory comments.

If you want to continue to 'contribute' on this forum, I strongly suggest you limit your posts to useful advice.
(Casa, not CR001)