ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish FBR supporting documents

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

MeganSA
Newly Registered
South Africa

Irish FBR supporting documents

Post by MeganSA » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:26 am

Hi all,

I'm finding myself in a tricky position regarding my Irish Foreign Birth Registration and I can't seem to find relevant information anywhere. I am applying through my grandmother who was born in the Republic of Ireland, she did the FBR process for my mother when she was young but my mother never actually went to Ireland or kept her passport up to date. I have spent about 6 months gathering all the required documents for my grandmother, my mom and myself (getting these documents in South Africa is extremely difficult as our systems are slow and sometimes applications are simply lost), I am about to make my FBR application now, but my mother has now informed me that she cannot find her original FBR certificate, which is listed as one of the required supporting documents on the DFA website. We can apply for a duplicate certificate from Ireland but this will delay my application even further and cost more. I am under quite bit of time pressure to get my citizenship, and so I am wondering if this document is essential given I am applying through my grandmother and not my mother?? Does anyone have any experience with this? Is my application likely to be rejected if I simply leave this document out?

Thanks!

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Re: Irish FBR supporting documents

Post by Sulla » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:42 am

MeganSA wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:26 am
Hi all,

I'm finding myself in a tricky position regarding my Irish Foreign Birth Registration and I can't seem to find relevant information anywhere. I am applying through my grandmother who was born in the Republic of Ireland, she did the FBR process for my mother when she was young but my mother never actually went to Ireland or kept her passport up to date. I have spent about 6 months gathering all the required documents for my grandmother, my mom and myself (getting these documents in South Africa is extremely difficult as our systems are slow and sometimes applications are simply lost), I am about to make my FBR application now, but my mother has now informed me that she cannot find her original FBR certificate, which is listed as one of the required supporting documents on the DFA website. We can apply for a duplicate certificate from Ireland but this will delay my application even further and cost more. I am under quite bit of time pressure to get my citizenship, and so I am wondering if this document is essential given I am applying through my grandmother and not my mother?? Does anyone have any experience with this? Is my application likely to be rejected if I simply leave this document out?

Thanks!
You may want to post in the FBR thread to get other people's perspectives.

In my opinion, if the DFA ask for a document and specify that it is required then they mean it and take it quite seriously. They are relatively inflexible about the necessity of having a complete document set and usually only demonstrate flexibility when it comes to what can constitute proof of address. It is probable that if you submit your application without the FBR certificate from your mother then you will receive a request for further documentation down the line. This could cause delays in the already lengthy (circa 12 month) processing time. I would definitely advise you to source a duplicate certificate prior to application.

Rbs3
Newly Registered

Post by Rbs3 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:55 am

If your grandmother was born in Ireland, you mother won’t have a FBR as she is automatically Irish.
The only time you need your parent’s FBR is if the Irish-born person is great-grandparent or further back.

MeganSA
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by MeganSA » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:28 am

Thank you so much!!!! This makes total sense now as to why we cannot find a FBR for my mother. Thank you!!

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:03 pm

MeganSA wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:28 am
Thank you so much!!!! This makes total sense now as to why we cannot find a FBR for my mother. Thank you!!
I thought you were certain that your mother had been registered through FBR by your grandmother? As Rbs3 correctly says under the current legislative framework there is no necessity for your mother to have an FBR certificate. However, she could still have one. Under the conditions of the 1935 Irish Nationality ac,t Irish born parents had the ability register their foreign children. If your mother was born prior to 1956, then it is possible that she would have an FBR certificate. However, if you are not sure now that she had one then it is almost certain that she does not and you can just apply as normal with the documents you have.

MeganSA
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by MeganSA » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:04 am

Thank you, my mother was born in 1966. I have tried to contact my local embassy as well to find out if there is a way to confirm whether or not she received a FBR certificate but they have not replied as of yet. Unfortunately I’m not sure about anything, my mother has no idea how any of this works or what her own position is as she has never been to Ireland or looked into her citizenship, she has an Irish passport from 1987 that she has not updated since then and does not remember getting so we know she is a citizen, we just don’t know how.

Rbs3
Newly Registered

Post by Rbs3 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:36 pm

Didn’t the 1935 act require irish born father.

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:47 pm

Rbs3 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:36 pm
Didn’t the 1935 act require irish born father.
Yes. However, in this case we did not get any information regarding the grandfather, so it was at least possible. The father did not have to be the one who registered the birth - the mother could. There merely had to be an Irish born father prior to 1956. Anyway, as the birth of the applicant's mother occurred in 1966 in this case, I think it is safe to say that there is no FBR certificate.