ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship after 1 year on ILR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ronnyd
India

Citizenship after 1 year on ILR

Post by ronnyd » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:57 pm

Respected Gurus/Moderators,
I have completed one year on Indefinite Leave (obtained through 5 years Tier 2 General route) and would like to apply for naturalisation. I’m filling in an application for naturalisation and have a few questions. Could you help with this please?

Referees –
Below is the criteria for referees provided in the application form :
"One referee should be a person of any nationality who has professional standing, such as
a minister of religion, civil servant, or a member of a professional body such as an accountant or
solicitor (who is not representing you with this application).
The other referee must normally be the holder of a British citizen passport and either a professional person or over the age of 25."

I’m not clear on the criteria mentioned for the 1st referee (underlined). When they say, ‘person of any nationality who has a professional standing’, would anyone having a professional job and any nationality be acceptable as a referee ? I do not know anyone in the other professions which have been given as examples (minister of religion, civil servant, accountant, solicitor). Can you help with this please?
For the 2nd referee, based on criteria mentioned (not underlined), I’m planning to get reference from one my friends who holds British passport.

Dependants –
There is a question (below) regarding dependant on the application form.
“Do you have any dependants not applying with you at this time ? “
I currently hold a ILR and my wife has a PBS Dependant Leave to Remain. Does she count as my dependant ? She is not eligible for naturalisation yet so she wouldn’t be applying with me.

Documents –
I have partly filled in the online application form and below is the list of documents required which is mentioned on the form. Can you please check if below documents are ok and if anything else is required?
1) Passport
2) Life in UK Test Pass Notification
3) Proof of living in the UK : Letter from employer confirming continuous employment for last 5 years
4) Proof of freedom from immigration time restrictions : ILR BRP Card + Letter from Home Office which was issued with the ILR
5) Degree certificate to prove the level of English language required : MSc. Certificate from UK University
6) 2 referee declarations
7) Evidence of Identity : ILR BRP + Driving licence.

Thank you :)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Citizenship after 1 year on ILR

Post by CR001 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:04 pm

1. See page 23 or 24 of the below link. It gives a list of acceptable professional referee.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... y-guidance

2. Yes she is a dependent for immigration etc purposes.

3. You don't need employer letters. Proof of residence is your passport.

Proof of free from immigration etc is only your brp. You don't need the letter.

Identity is your passport.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

R-graphite
Mood:

Post by R-graphite » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:27 pm

ronnyd wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:57 pm
Respected Gurus/Moderators,
I have completed one year on Indefinite Leave (obtained through 5 years Tier 2 General route) and would like to apply for naturalisation. I’m filling in an application for naturalisation and have a few questions. Could you help with this please?

Referees –
Below is the criteria for referees provided in the application form :
"One referee should be a person of any nationality who has professional standing, such as
a minister of religion, civil servant, or a member of a professional body such as an accountant or
solicitor (who is not representing you with this application).
The other referee must normally be the holder of a British citizen passport and either a professional person or over the age of 25."

I’m not clear on the criteria mentioned for the 1st referee (underlined). When they say, ‘person of any nationality who has a professional standing’, would anyone having a professional job and any nationality be acceptable as a referee ? I do not know anyone in the other professions which have been given as examples (minister of religion, civil servant, accountant, solicitor). Can you help with this please?

has to be professional such as a solicitor, lawyer, clerk, chartered or Unionised engineer, someone that is a member of a professional body, a director of a company etc...
For the 2nd referee, based on criteria mentioned (not underlined), I’m planning to get reference from one my friends who holds British passport.

Dependants –
There is a question (below) regarding dependant on the application form.
“Do you have any dependants not applying with you at this time ? “
I currently hold a ILR and my wife has a PBS Dependant Leave to Remain. Does she count as my dependant ? She is not eligible for naturalisation yet so she wouldn’t be applying with me.
yes she is a dependant
Documents –
I have partly filled in the online application form and below is the list of documents required which is mentioned on the form. Can you please check if below documents are ok and if anything else is required?
1) Passport
2) Life in UK Test Pass Notification
3) Proof of living in the UK : Letter from employer confirming continuous employment for last 5 years
4) Proof of freedom from immigration time restrictions : ILR BRP Card + Letter from Home Office which was issued with the ILR
5) Degree certificate to prove the level of English language required : MSc. Certificate from UK University
6) 2 referee declarations
7) Evidence of Identity : ILR BRP + Driving licence.do you have a passport?

I am not legally qualified, all my answers are from personal experience or readings. Please seek legal advice and don’t take my opinion as one.

R-graphite
Mood:

Post by R-graphite » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:28 pm

You posted just before I did :mrgreen:
CR001 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:04 pm
1. See page 23 or 24 of the below link. It gives a list of acceptable professional referee.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... y-guidance

2. Yes she is a dependent for immigration etc purposes.

3. You don't need employer letters. Proof of residence is your passport.

Proof of free from immigration etc is only your brp. You don't need the letter.

Identity is your passport.
I am not legally qualified, all my answers are from personal experience or readings. Please seek legal advice and don’t take my opinion as one.

ronnyd
India

Post by ronnyd » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:03 pm

Hi CR001 and R-graphite,
Thanks a lot for your help :)
Yes, I do have a passport and will use it as identity proof.

I have another question, can you help with this as well please ?
I'm planning to apply for naturalisation in next 2 weeks and I've heard that it can take up to 6 months for approval. I have some travel plans to Europe in Nov and Dec. Are there any travel restrictions in below scenarios :

1) If I do not receive naturalisation approval by Nov, I am planning to apply for Schengen visa and travel using my current Indian passport. - would this be ok ?

2) If I receive approval of the naturalisation application just before the travel date in Nov and if there is not enough time to get the citizenship ceremony and British passport done before travel, can i still travel on my current Indian passport and Schengen visa ? i.e. are there any travel restrictions between the period of receiving naturalisation approval and before British passport is issued ?

Separately, how long does it take for the for the citizenship ceremony and British passport application process after naturalisation application is approved?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:19 pm

You are free to travel at any time. You are only British once you attend your ceremony. Once you have attended your ceremony, you have to return your brp card to ho as your ilr is no longer valid.

How long you wait for a ceremony depends on your council.

You can apply for a passport after your ceremony. It takes 2 to 6 weeks for the passport.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ronnyd
India

Post by ronnyd » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:15 pm

Thank you for your prompt response CR001 :)

Am I correct in saying that I would get 3 months from approval of naturalisation application to book the ceremony ?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:09 pm

You have 21 days to BOOK the ceremony.

You have 90 days to ATTEND the ceremony.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

ronnyd
India

Post by ronnyd » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:57 pm

Thanks a lot for the clarification :)
Have a great weekend!!

ronnyd
India

Post by ronnyd » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:08 am

Hello,

I have question regarding naturalisation and passport application. I have been told by one of friends (who got is British citizenship a couple of years ago) that he applied for naturalisation and passport at the same time. I do not seem to find an option in the naturalisation application or elsewhere to do that. Can you please advise if this is possible and, if so, what the process is ?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:21 am

ronnyd wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:08 am
Hello,

I have question regarding naturalisation and passport application. I have been told by one of friends (who got is British citizenship a couple of years ago) that he applied for naturalisation and passport at the same time. I do not seem to find an option in the naturalisation application or elsewhere to do that. Can you please advise if this is possible and, if so, what the process is ?

There is no longer an option to apply for both at the same. It was stopped in November last year.

You now have to wait till you are British, or attended your ceremony, before you can apply for a passport.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

ronnyd
India

Post by ronnyd » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:27 pm

Hi CR001,

Thanks a lot for the clarification! I appreciate your prompt response :)

ronnyd
India

Post by ronnyd » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:21 pm

Hello,

I've reached the final part of my application and found out that employment history of last 10 years is required. I do remember the places I have worked at but not sure of the exact dates. Only option I came across is requesting the employment history from HM revenue which can take 40 days. Can you please advise if there is any quicker way of getting employment history ?

Thanks you :)

ronnyd
India

Post by ronnyd » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:58 am

Hello gurus/moderators/members,

I have now received my naturalisation approval. Thank you for all the help with the application😊
I have some travel planned in Europe between 29th Feb – 07th Mar. However, the naturalisation approval letter I have received is dated 06 Dec and therefore, I would have to attend the ceremony before 06th Mar. I checked with my local council and the earliest I can attend the ceremony is 15th Jan. My concern is that if apply for British passport around 15th Jan, I may not receive it before my trip on 29th Feb. Also, the latest I could attend the ceremony is on 06th Mar, which is not possible as I wouldn’t be here in the UK. Below are the options I can think of, but I’m not sure if they are feasible. Could you please advise ?
- Can I travel with my current (Indian) passport and Schengen visa after the ceremony/after receiving the citizenship certificate ?
- Can I attend the ceremony at a different council (not the one mentioned on my approval letter) if I get an earlier date for ceremony ? If yes, what is the process to get the council changed on my approval letter ?
- The approval letter I received is date 06th Dec, however I received it on 14th Dec. I though it would be 3 months from the date I receive it, but when I checked with the council, they said that according to their system I need to get the ceremony done before 06th March not 14th March. Is it possible to request for an extension to the 3-month time ?
- I have checked the passport application website and it mentions that it would take around 6 weeks to arrive. Is this the average time ? If I apply of 15th Jan, what are the chances of my passport arriving before my trip (29th Feb).
- Any other alternative / option which would allow me travel ?

My trip is fully booked and isn’t flexible, so would lose all the money if I was to cancel it. I would appreciate if you could please advise what the best option would be.

Many thanks 😊

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:24 am

Ask yoru council for a private ceremony (chargeable at around £150).
Changing to another council involves the Home Office and won't get you booked earlier.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

AnotherUUID

Post by AnotherUUID » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:38 am

I second what @alterhase has said.

However, I wouldn't be too worried about HMPO waiting times. If you look at the timeline thread, most people have been getting their passports within 2 weeks, if not earlier, and rarely more than 3. This appears to have been the average for pretty much all of this year. If you apply on the same day that you get your naturalisation certificate 15 Jan even if you do have to wait 6 weeks that's still 26 Feb. If you're going away on the 29th, there should still be plenty of time. But if you prefer to have peace of mind, go w/ the private ceremony.

xavieryves
Zimbabwe

Post by xavieryves » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:40 am

Another option which you didn't list is to book a private ceremony which would allow you to attend earlier and at your convenience but at a cost. Check with your local council.
You could then apply for passport on the same day after the ceremony to maximize chances of getting it quicker. Most people are currently getting their passports between 10 -14 days provided all correct documents are sent. The picture especially if you're doing it online and using own digital photo is what trips people up as it has to be very specific to what's listed on the website. To avoid this you may use postal application or get photo taken professionally where they give you a code to use for online application. Have a look at recent timelines here: british-citizenship/british-passport-ap ... -6920.html
ronnyd wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:58 am
Can I travel with my current (Indian) passport and Schengen visa after the ceremony/after receiving the citizenship certificate ?
Yes you can travel as a citizen other than British after your ceremony. Do check the rules about dual nationality for an Indian citizen though, I think there is a grace period where it's allowed, not an issue on the British side. Also, the cost of Schengen visa application could go towards Private ceremony instead.
ronnyd wrote:
Can I attend the ceremony at a different council (not the one mentioned on my approval letter) if I get an earlier date for ceremony ? If yes, what is the process to get the council changed on my approval letter ?
Not aware of this option after approval or indeed during processing.
ronnyd wrote:
Is it possible to request for an extension to the 3-month time ?
No. You risk losing your newly gained citizenship for which you'll have to apply again from the start including full cost. It's also correct that the 90 days countdown is from date on approval letter.

ronnyd
India

Post by ronnyd » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:25 pm

@ alterhase58 , AnotherUUID and xavieryves – Thanks a lot for your prompt responses. I appreciate your help with this :)
I rang the council and due to the Xmas / New year break, the earliest I can get ceremony booked is a week before (08th Jan) the group ceremony (15th Jan). As there is only a week’s difference, I have chosen to go with the group ceremony on 15th Jan. I’m planning to submit the application on the same day I get the certificate (15th Jan). Based on the review times you have shared, hopefully I should get the passport before my trip. Hope for the best!!
Can you please advise what the process is for passport application and documents which would be required to support the application ? I can then get everything ready before 15th Jan.

@ xavieryves – regarding your comment -
Yes you can travel as a citizen other than British after your ceremony. Do check the rules about dual nationality for an Indian citizen though, I think there is a grace period where it's allowed, not an issue on the British side
India doesn’t allow dual citizenship, so don’t think I would be able to travel on my Indian passport after I receive the citizenship certificate. Please correct me if I am wrong and share any links to the guidance where this is mentioned. I can use this as backup in case my passport doesn’t arrive.

Once again thanks a lot for your help 😊

AnotherUUID

Post by AnotherUUID » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:53 pm

The requirements for getting a passport are outlined here. You will need:
  • a suitable digital photo - I suggest you go to a photo studio for this as photographers are well aware of the rules
  • a suitable referee to confirm your identity
  • all non-cancelled passports that you currently hold
  • your naturalisation certificate
I suggest you apply online as it's easier and slightly cheaper. You can upload the digital photo yourself via the online application form, and you can provide the details of your referee there as well.

You will, however, need to post your supporting documents - passport(s) and naturalisation certificate (originals only) - by mail to the address given at the end of the online application form once you have paid the fee. They will be returned to you separately from your British passport via 2nd class Royal Mail.

To expedite the process and avoid unnecessary delays make sure you have your digital photo ready as soon as reasonable, but no more than a month before you apply (as per the photo rules above).

Also make sure the person confirming your identity is readily available as your application will not proceed to a caseworker until all the information has been readily provided. The referee whose details you put down on the online form will receive an email with a special link that will allow them to log in to the HMPO portal and confirm your identity.

You will have the option to change your referee details or manually re-send them the link from HMPO's application tracking service at any point in time.
ronnyd wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:25 pm
India doesn’t allow dual citizenship, so don’t think I would be able to travel on my Indian passport after I receive the citizenship certificate. Please correct me if I am wrong and share any links to the guidance where this is mentioned. I can use this as backup in case my passport doesn’t arrive.
Wrt travelling on your Indian passport - don't quote me on that, as I am not too familiar - I believe India has a grace period of 3 months after acquisition of another citizenship for its nationals during which their Indian passport is still valid. However, there's also the potential issue (or at least confusion and extra hassle) when reaching a UK port on your way back. Once you have become British, your ILR is no longer valid as there is no need for it. Since a naturalisation certificate is not considered a valid travel document, this may cause entry delays and checks if you have to prove your British citizenship w/o holding a British passport at the border, so it's probably best avoided if possible. This is probably best confirmed by the more knowledgable members around here.

ronnyd
India

Post by ronnyd » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:05 pm

@AnotherUUID - thanks for the detailed guidance on the passport application process and requirements. I will make a start on the application form now :)

I agree, travelling on Indian passport after receiving the citizenship certificate seems too complicated. I will try and submit the passport application on 15th Jan hoping that it would arrive before my trip / end of Feb.

ronnyd
India

Post by ronnyd » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:31 am

Hello Gurus/Moderators/Members,

I have my citizenship ceremony booked on 15th Jan and am planning to apply for Passport on the same day. I have a few a questions (below) regarding the application. Can you help with these please ?

- I am planning to apply online. As the online application form cannot be saved, it ok if I submit the application form by 12th Jan ? Is there any restriction on how much in advance I can submit the online application form before receiving the naturalisation certificate ?
- Also is it ok to get the reference completed by 12th Jan (application date - 15th Jan) ? Again, is there any restriction on how much in advance I can get the reference done before receiving the naturalisation certificate ?
- I am planning to submit / send the below documents by post after receiving the naturalisation certificate : 1) printed copy of application form 2) cover letter 3) Passports (current and previous/ cancelled passport) 4) citizenship certificate. 5) Do I need to submit my ILR / BRP ?
Can you please advise if I would need to submit any other documents apart from the above documents I have mentioned ?
There reason I am asking is that, I came across below requirement on gov.uk website https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-adult-pa ... d-to-apply and I am a bit confused as to whether this applies to me ?
I am an Indian citizen born after 1 Jan 1983, can you please advise if below will apply to me ?
The website mentions that if “You were born outside the UK” “What documents you need depend on your circumstances”
One of the circumstances mentioned is below :
“Born on or after 1 January 1983
You’ll need all of the following:
• your full birth certificate showing your parents’ details
• the passport you used to come into the UK or any foreign passport that you’re included on
• evidence of one parent’s British nationality, for example their UK birth or adoption, naturalisation or registration certificate
If these documents relate to your father, you must include the marriage certificate showing when he married your mother.”

Thank You :)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:37 am

- I am planning to apply online. As the online application form cannot be saved, it ok if I submit the application form by 12th Jan ? Is there any restriction on how much in advance I can submit the online application form before receiving the naturalisation certificate ?
No, you cannot apply until you are officially British. You are not British until you have attended your ceremony and received your certificate. You are required to put the certificate details in the passport application form.
- Also is it ok to get the reference completed by 12th Jan (application date - 15th Jan) ? Again, is there any restriction on how much in advance I can get the reference done before receiving the naturalisation certificate ?
The referee is electronic and they receive an email to confirm your identity/know you etc. You cannot apply for a passport until you are actually British.
- I am planning to submit / send the below documents by post after receiving the naturalisation certificate : 1) printed copy of application form 2) cover letter 3) Passports (current and previous/ cancelled passport) 4) citizenship certificate. 5) Do I need to submit my ILR / BRP ?
Can you please advise if I would need to submit any other documents apart from the above documents I have mentioned ?
There reason I am asking is that, I came across below requirement on gov.uk website https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-adult-pa ... d-to-apply and I am a bit confused as to whether this applies to me ?
I am an Indian citizen born after 1 Jan 1983, can you please advise if below will apply to me ?
The website mentions that if “You were born outside the UK” “What documents you need depend on your circumstances”
One of the circumstances mentioned is below :
“Born on or after 1 January 1983
You’ll need all of the following:
• your full birth certificate showing your parents’ details
• the passport you used to come into the UK or any foreign passport that you’re included on
• evidence of one parent’s British nationality, for example their UK birth or adoption, naturalisation or registration certificate
If these documents relate to your father, you must include the marriage certificate showing when he married your mother.”
The same form is used for EVERYONE. Only submit what is asked for, i.e. naturalisation cert and all uncancelled passports. The rest is NOT relevant as you are NOT British by descent. ILR BRP is NOT required and must be sent back to HO within 5 days of your ceremony.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

ronnyd
India

Post by ronnyd » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:23 pm

Very clear, thanks a lot CR001 for your advise 😊