ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR to Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ramsprk

ILR to Citizenship

Post by ramsprk » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:54 pm

Hi Gurus,

Apologies in advance if this is the wrong place to ask below question.

Recently i got my ILR recently (4th April 2019) and the route was SET(M). Now my question would be, do i need to wait 1 years time to apply for my citizenship or can i apply now?

Below is my background of my visa and history.

1. I got my spouse visa on 11-02-2014 (at that time my wife was on ILR) valid thru 11-11-2016. Entered UK on 28-02-2014.

2. Got extension and Valid until 12-05-2019 (At the time of extn my wife was a BS).

3. I got my ILR on 04-04-2019

Could you please advise am i eligible for citizenship or do i need to wait for 1 year and then apply?

Thanks
RP

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: ILR to Citizenship

Post by CR001 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:05 pm

Recently i got my ILR recently (4th April 2019) and the route was SET(M). Now my question would be, do i need to wait 1 years time to apply for my citizenship or can i apply now?
If you are married to a British citizen AND meet all the requirements to apply based on 3 years residence, including physically present in the UK at the start of the 3 year period, then yes, you can apply immediately.
Could you please advise am i eligible for citizenship or do i need to wait for 1 year and then apply?
Yes, if your spouse is British. If your spouse only holds ILR, then you have to wait.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ramsprk

Post by ramsprk » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:25 pm

Thank you CR001,

Thank you for the quick response.

As i mentioned in my previous post, at the time of my marriage my wife was on ILR. She got her British Citizenship on 11-06-2014 and after two month she got her British Passport on 11-08-2014. My arrival to this country was on 28-02-2014 (By that time still she was on her ILR and here is my confusion.).

We have been living together in this country from the day one till today when i was landed here ( arrival date 28-02-2014).

Would that fall under the correct eligibility state?

Thanks
RP

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:35 pm

The requirement is to be married to a British citizens on the date you apply, regardless of when or how your spouse became British. It is irrelevant whether you live your spouse or not. It is based on being married at the time you apply and residence in the UK.

It is an application under Section 6(2) of the Nationality Act, which is an application based on 3 years residence.

Your absence must be no more than 270 days in the 3 years and no more than 90 days in the final 12 months.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ramsprk

Post by ramsprk » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:27 am

Hi CR001,

I believe i'm meeting all the he requirements to apply citizenship based on 3 years residence.

Though i would need a small clarification regarding 'Good character. I have an outstanding amount of £4500 on my credit card. I'm paying monthly on time the 'Due amount. The type of this credit card is 1 year interest free card.I can pay back the outstanding amount by end of this year in installments.

Would this is going to be an issue? as the amount is too big on a Credit Card though its 1 year interest free card? or shall wait until its cleared?

Please advise?

Thanks
RP

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:30 am

Credit card is not an issue if paying it and no CCJ etc against your name.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

ramsprk

Post by ramsprk » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:44 am

Thanks CR001.

To be honest i do not know what is a CCJ. Just googled and it says County Court Judgement. If that is correct then i do not have anything like that.

Thanks
RP.