ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Acceptable Police Clearance for American?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

fuzzbizz
United States of America

Acceptable Police Clearance for American?

Post by fuzzbizz » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:54 pm

Just out of curiosity, what is considered an acceptable police clearance, particularly for people from the US? I sent a letter from the California Department of Justice showing no criminal history, but they seem underwhelmed. Have people needed to go through the FBI?

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: Acceptable Police Clearance for American?

Post by littlerr » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:53 pm

What's your application about?

fuzzbizz
United States of America

Post by fuzzbizz » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:42 am

Naturalization, adult, been here more than 5 years.

markem
Mood:
New Zealand

Post by markem » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:54 am

fuzzbizz wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:42 am
Naturalization, adult, been here more than 5 years.
What, exactly, were you asked to provide? You should check the wording carefully.

In my (similar) application I haven't been asked for a police cert of any sort from my previous country.
Timeline threads here:
2020 /
2019 / 2018 / 2017 / 2016

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:06 am

There is no requirement to provide a police clearance for naturalisation applications - unless they explicitly ask you to provide one.

fuzzbizz
United States of America

Post by fuzzbizz » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:01 pm

I didn't need one for the application, but the second stage letter specified that I needed a Police Clearance Certificate from any country I've lived in. The wording is pretty vague (I don't blame them; countries will vary) but I was curious if anyone else had used the FBI one, their stat's Department of Justice, etc.

I think they were underwhelmed with the response from the California Department of Justice; it's not on letterhead and is quite brief.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:49 pm

In that case you need one from the federal government instead of your regional/state government.

https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/ident ... ary-checks

I don’t understand how they choose who needs a police certificate though. I (along with many people who have been approved or in second stage) didn’t have to provide one. Some others did. Don’t know whether this is random or based on something else (I provided my police cert for my first Irish visa application).

markem
Mood:
New Zealand

Post by markem » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:55 pm

fuzzbizz wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:01 pm
I think they were underwhelmed with the response from the California Department of Justice; it's not on letterhead and is quite brief.
What do you mean by "underwhelmed"? Generally they'll either accept evidence, or not. I agree with @littlerr - get the FBI one as you were asked to provide clearance from the country, not state.
Timeline threads here:
2020 /
2019 / 2018 / 2017 / 2016

dunks1887
United States of America

Post by dunks1887 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:18 am

If you ever get Garda vetted in Ireland you need to provide the federal (FBI history summary) report. This covers all states, rather than just the one or few you have lived in. I imagine INIS follows the same guidelines as the Gards but it's weird they didn't note that in the first place. To be on the safe side with my own application, I provided a copy of my FBI history summary which I needed for Garda vetting/my job.

fuzzbizz
United States of America

Post by fuzzbizz » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:51 pm

Thanks, sounds like I need to go with FBI then.

Re: underwhelmed, they sent a letter asking for "all documentation included with the original report from the California Department of Justice" - which was a bit strange since I'd already sent them everything.