ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

T5 YMS holder switch T2 dependant within UK

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

bowbow
Newly Registered

Tier 5 Youth mobility visa switch to Tier 2 work dependent!

Post by bowbow » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:30 pm

Hi,
I am currently holding a tier 5 youth mobility visa (from Hong Kong and holding British Nationa Oversea passport). I just got married to my husband, who works in the UK with a Tier 2 work visa (from Hong Kong and with Hong Kong passport).

Now I want to apply as my husband's dependent under his visa and we want to go through the whole process within the UK. We always had the impression that there should be no problem. I then tried to apply for the dependent visa under his visa from the Gov online system. (link as below)
https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... nt-partner

However, a question in the system caught us off-guard - it asks for my current visa status but there is no option of a Tier 5 YMS. We tried to look for answers everywhere but we failed to find a convincing response.

So the real question is - can a tier 5 YMS holder switch to a tier 2 dependent within the UK?!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Tier 5 Youth mobility visa switch to Tier 2 work dependent!

Post by CR001 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:30 am

It's that we cannot see the questions and options of the online for.

What does it give as options at this question and what is the exact question being asked?

You can switch so don't stress.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

bowbow
Newly Registered

Post by bowbow » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:16 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. the thing most concerned me is some people say T5 YMS cannot switch any visa under Points Based System (PBS). I know T2 work visa is PBS. However, is T2 dependant under PBS?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:32 pm

Yes tier 2 dependent is under the points based umbrella visa.

Ask "some people" to post the relevant ho rules that state you cant switch.

What you cannot do is switch to tier 2 general as the MAIN visa holder

https://www.gov.uk/tier-2-general/family-members
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

bowbow
Newly Registered

Post by bowbow » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:39 pm

Hi,
I am in the process of applying T2 dependant visa within the UK, via the online system.
(Link as here, https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... nt-partner )
However, a question in the system caught me off-guard –

I am from Hong Kong and have two passports, (hong Kong Passport and British National Oversea passport). My T5 YMS was applied with the BNO passport, and I use BNO in the UK for anything, such as got married in council, bank account and etc.

Every time when I have to choose the nationality, in the UK, I will choose or I was asked to choose British. Because I am holding a BNO passport issued by the UK and in this BNO passport, it says I am a British national. (Even that if you know, BNO holder do not have the right to reside in the UK, and I have to apply visa from any stay more than 6 months.)

The Problem I faced, from the online T2 dependant apply system is:
When I have to choose the nationality, I am able to choose more than one. However,

There is no an option of “British” or “united kingdom”, of course, no “British National Oversea” as well.
There is only” British citizen” , and the wording from the website after you choose British citizen, Below sentences will show,

“If you are a British citizen, or have the right of abode in the UK, we cannot issue you with a visa. If you choose to make an application for a visa, it will not be processed and will lapse. The application fee will not be refunded.”

So, I can only choose “Hong Kong”, I am happy with it as I came from Hong Kong J.
OK. Seems not a problem, right? But...

Then I have to enter my passport detail. I prefer enter the detail of my BNO passport, as my T5 YMS visa is in BNO. There is not any record and visa to allow me to stay in the UK in my Hong Kong passport. And I have to enter BRP number after that.

OK. After I finish the part of my personal data, in the page of “ document”
Below sentences will show,

“Mandatory documents
These documents are mandatory and you must provide them as part of your application. Tick the box to agree that you will provide each document: (Required)
The passport or travel document for Ms xxxxxx from Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of China
The biometric residence permit for Ms xxxxxxx”

THEN, I am confused!!!!

1. Should I just use Hong Kong passport the application?
2. If I use BNO for the application, should I choose the second nationality ” British citizen”??
3. If I use BNO, and just choose "Hong Kong” as my nationality only. (to avoid the application not be processed and lapse) What will happen when I go to the visa centre and should I bring with my Hong Kong passport? Even I did not enter the detail of Hong Kong passport?
4. If I use BNO, and just choose “Hong Kong” as my nationality only. (to avoid the application not be processed and lapse), then I cannot show “The passport or travel document for Ms xxxxxx from Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of China” on that day in visa center… BNO is issued by UK, not Hong Kong.

Can there anyone can give me some advice?
Thanks so much!!!

bowbow
Newly Registered

Post by bowbow » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:12 pm

Hi, CR001

Do you have any idea or can you give me some advice?

bowbow
Newly Registered

Post by bowbow » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:09 pm

Hi,
I am in the process of applying T2 dependant visa within the UK, via the online system.
(Link as here,https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... nt-partner)
However, a question in the system caught me off-guard –

I am from Hong Kong and have two passports, (hong Kong Passport and British National Oversea passport). My T5 YMS was applied with the BNO passport, and I use BNO in the UK for anything, such as got married in council, bank account and etc.

Every time when I have to choose the nationality, in the UK, I will choose or I was asked to choose British. Because I am holding a BNO passport issued by the UK and in this BNO passport, it says I am a British national. (Even that if you know, BNO holder do not have the right to reside in the UK, and I have to apply visa from any stay more than 6 months.)

The Problem I faced, from the online T2 dependant apply system is:
When I have to choose the nationality, I am able to choose more than one. However,

There is no an option of “British” or “united kingdom”, of course, no “British National Oversea” as well.
There is only” British citizen” , and the wording from the website after you choose British citizen, Below sentences will show,

“If you are a British citizen, or have the right of abode in the UK, we cannot issue you with a visa. If you choose to make an application for a visa, it will not be processed and will lapse. The application fee will not be refunded.”

So, I can only choose “Hong Kong”, I am happy with it as I came from Hong Kong J.
OK. Seems not a problem, right? But...

Then I have to enter my passport detail. I prefer enter the detail of my BNO passport, as my T5 YMS visa is in BNO. There is not any record and visa to allow me to stay in the UK in my Hong Kong passport. And I have to enter BRP number after that.

OK. After I finish the part of my personal data, in the page of “ document”
Below sentences will show,

“Mandatory documents
These documents are mandatory and you must provide them as part of your application. Tick the box to agree that you will provide each document: (Required)
The passport or travel document for Ms xxxxxx from Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of China
The biometric residence permit for Ms xxxxxxx”

THEN, I am confused!!!!

2. If I use BNO for the application, should I choose the second nationality ” British citizen”??
3. If I use BNO, and just choose "Hong Kong” as my nationality only. (to avoid the application not be processed and lapse) What will happen when I go to the visa centre and should I bring with my Hong Kong passport? Even I did not enter the detail of Hong Kong passport?
4. If I use BNO, and just choose “Hong Kong” as my nationality only. (to avoid the application not be processed and lapse), then I cannot show “The passport or travel document for Ms xxxxxx from Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of China” on that day in visa center… BNO is issued by UK, not Hong Kong.

Can there anyone can give me some advice?
Thanks so much!!!

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: T5 YMS holder switch T2 dependant within UK

Post by sah10406 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:47 am

bowbow wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:09 pm
Yes, if you wish. It sounds like that would be the easiest option, given the apparent error on the drop-down menu.

It does seem to be very strange that there would be no option on the drop-down menu for BN(O) passport. I cannot find any other BN(O) passport holders reporting this issue, nor have I come across it myself when advising PBS dependants, so I wonder if it is something as simple as it being listed at the bottom of the alphabet?
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: T5 YMS holder switch T2 dependant within UK

Post by sah10406 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:08 am

bowbow wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:09 pm

There is only” British citizen” ,
I was puzzled by your query so I started a dummy PBS dependant leave to remain application myself.

The drop-down menu on the PBS dependant application form does include all forms of British nationality, not just British citizen. So I do not know why you cannot see them.

I cannot figure out how to upload an image here, but I have uploaded a screenshot of the menu at weblink identifying user full name removed by moderator
Attachments
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (69.97 KiB) Viewed 469 times
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.