ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British citizenship referees

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

misssian
Newly Registered

New citizenship application

Post by misssian » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:57 pm

Hey guys,

I am about to make a citizenship application as a non EU citizen and am a bit confused about the online application and where to start.
I know the postal application used to have a section where 2 referees would sign for you, how does it work with the online application? Do I need a form already filled out? Going by some posts on this forum, the application submission and document submission appointment are very close together and one of my referees will need a few days to complete and sign the form for me and post it back to me.

A step by step guide on how this works would be very much appreciated as I am completely lost and anxious I will do it wrong and lose my application fee.

Thanks guys!

misssian
Newly Registered

Re: New citizenship application

Post by misssian » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:48 pm

A follow up question:

The guidance says to provide:
- Your passport showing permission to remain permanently in the UK
- The Home Office letter by which you were given permission to remain
permanently in the UK

I do not have the letter that came with my ILR (this was over 10 years ago) but I do have the passport - do I need to provide this letter or is the passport with ILR alone enough as proof?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: New citizenship application

Post by CR001 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:59 pm

misssian wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:48 pm
A follow up question:

The guidance says to provide:
- Your passport showing permission to remain permanently in the UK
- The Home Office letter by which you were given permission to remain
permanently in the UK

I do not have the letter that came with my ILR (this was over 10 years ago) but I do have the passport - do I need to provide this letter or is the passport with ILR alone enough as proof?
No.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

misssian
Newly Registered

British citizenship referees

Post by misssian » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:21 pm

Hi,

Google is full of conflicting lists and out of date information and gov.uk has a very, very vague definition of a referee. Some of the lists I saw on other websites say the referee can be a LTD company director but the company needs to be VAT registered and another saying the referee needs to sign your birth certificate to confirm ID not just the forms and back of your photograph - it is very confusing!
Does anyone have an official list of who can sign for you, especially regarding company directors as one of my refs is a British company director but she is not yet VAT registered.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: British citizenship referees

Post by CR001 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:32 pm

misssian wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:21 pm
Hi,

Google is full of conflicting lists and out of date information and gov.uk has a very, very vague definition of a referee. Some of the lists I saw on other websites say the referee can be a LTD company director but the company needs to be VAT registered and another saying the referee needs to sign your birth certificate to confirm ID not just the forms and back of your photograph - it is very confusing!
Does anyone have an official list of who can sign for you, especially regarding company directors as one of my refs is a British company director but she is not yet VAT registered.
1. Please keep all your question on the same application in ONE topic. Posts merged.

2. Page 24 in the link below is the official list. Follow official HO guidance only, not random websites. Birth certs are not required.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 1.0EXT.pdf
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

misssian
Newly Registered

Post by misssian » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:37 pm

Thank you so much :D
Apologies, I am new to this forum, will post follows up to this thread.

misssian
Newly Registered

Post by misssian » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:00 pm

Hi again,

apologies if this has been asked before but I have basically reached a stumbling block with my citizenship application.
So I need to do my English test but my non eu passport expired last year so Trinity college said they can't accept this as ID and I do not have the other 3 accepted forms of ID they say they accept. I got my indefinite leave in 2008 before all the biometric card systems were introduced and Trinity advised me to apply for a biometric card and directed me to the visa and immigration department. The visa and immigration centre have no idea what I need to do because I already have ILR and they only deal with visas which I do not need and directed me to citizenship. Citizenship have no idea what I need to do and say it is up to Trinity to accept other forms of ID.
In a nut shell, I am stuck because Trinity will not accept my ID, therefore I can't sit my English test, I can't get a biometric residence card because I already have ILR since 2018 and no one knows what I should do.

Anyone been through this or know how to get around this situation?

R-graphite
Mood:

Post by R-graphite » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:53 pm

I assume you have a residence permit/ ILR BRP. This should be acceptable as an ID
https://www.trinitycollege.com/resource/?id=6136
misssian wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:00 pm
Hi again,

apologies if this has been asked before but I have basically reached a stumbling block with my citizenship application.
So I need to do my English test but my non eu passport expired last year so Trinity college said they can't accept this as ID and I do not have the other 3 accepted forms of ID they say they accept. I got my indefinite leave in 2008 before all the biometric card systems were introduced and Trinity advised me to apply for a biometric card and directed me to the visa and immigration department. The visa and immigration centre have no idea what I need to do because I already have ILR and they only deal with visas which I do not need and directed me to citizenship. Citizenship have no idea what I need to do and say it is up to Trinity to accept other forms of ID.
In a nut shell, I am stuck because Trinity will not accept my ID, therefore I can't sit my English test, I can't get a biometric residence card because I already have ILR since 2018 and no one knows what I should do.

I am not legally qualified, all my answers are from personal experience or readings. Please seek legal advice and don’t take my opinion as one.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:56 pm

R-graphite wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:53 pm
I assume you have a residence permit/ ILR BRP. This should be acceptable as an ID
misssian wrote:
Hi again,

Op has ilr either as a piece of paper or a vignette in the passport as it was obtained in 2008 before biometric as the op states.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

R-graphite
Mood:

Post by R-graphite » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:00 pm

Oops I missed that bit! In that case 1 option is for the Op to renew his passport. Also @CR001, I am not sure if he/ she can apply for a BRP card without renewing his passport maybe that would be cheaper ??
CR001 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:56 pm
R-graphite wrote:
misssian wrote:
Hi again,

Op has ilr either as a piece of paper or a vignette in the passport as it was obtained in 2008 before biometric as the op states.
I am not legally qualified, all my answers are from personal experience or readings. Please seek legal advice and don’t take my opinion as one.

misssian
Newly Registered

Post by misssian » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:16 am

R-graphite wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:00 pm
Oops I missed that bit! In that case 1 option is for the Op to renew his passport. Also @CR001, I am not sure if he/ she can apply for a BRP card without renewing his passport maybe that would be cheaper ??
CR001 wrote:
R-graphite wrote:
misssian wrote:
Hi again,

Thanks for the replies. I did some in-depth research on the Biometric card and I can only apply for it if I want to transfer my IRL into a new passport and can't apply for it with just an expired passport. I would have thought my current ILR stamp would serve as a valid vignette as it has a photo of me, my name, my birthday, nationality etc on the stamp but Trinity is refusing to accept that as ID form because it is stamped in an expired passport.

R-graphite
Mood:

Post by R-graphite » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:17 am

How about renewing your passport?
misssian wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:16 am
R-graphite wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:00 pm
CR001 wrote:
R-graphite wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I did some in-depth research on the Biometric card and I can only apply for it if I want to transfer my IRL into a new passport and can't apply for it with just an expired passport. I would have thought my current ILR stamp would serve as a valid vignette as it has a photo of me, my name, my birthday, nationality etc on the stamp but Trinity is refusing to accept that as ID form because it is stamped in an expired passport.

misssian
Newly Registered

Post by misssian » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:43 am

I have a non EU passport and our embassy is notoriously slow - I am looking at a minimum of 7 months before they even start to process the passport renewal application and then some for the actual process. We have a family holiday in March and the citizenship was the easier option as my application is fairly straight forward.