ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Working 30 hrs/week to look after sick mother. What help (benefits) can I claim?

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

rosina90

Working 30 hrs/week to look after sick mother. What help (benefits) can I claim?

Post by rosina90 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:11 pm

Hello everyone!

I have ILR since 2015, wanting to apply British Citizenship but situation has changed recently, so savings has to go to unplanned expenses.

My mother had a mild stroke last week. She has family visitor visa, she is a Permanent Resident of U.S.A. (greencard holder). She came here to visit me. I unfortunately did not get her a travel health insurance. I will need to pay the hospital bills and I am very willing to. But now, I need to work 4 days a week = 30 hrs a week so I could look after my mother during my days off until she is allowed to fly back to the U.S. (because of her current condition).

My question is that, what benefit/s can I claim so I could pay my regular bills / rent while my mother is recovering? I also need to buy healthy foods for my mother and pay for her physiotherapist as she is not covered by NHS or any insurance. I never tried claiming benefits so I really have no idea how to go about.

Thank you for your help in advance.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Re: Working 30 hrs/week to look after sick mother. What help (benefits) can I claim?

Post by seagul » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:11 pm

The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

JB007
- thin ice -

Re: Working 30 hrs/week to look after sick mother. What help (benefits) can I claim?

Post by JB007 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:09 am

rosina90 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:11 pm
Hello everyone!

I have ILR since 2015, wanting to apply British Citizenship but situation has changed recently, so savings has to go to unplanned expenses.

My mother had a mild stroke last week. She has family visitor visa, she is a Permanent Resident of U.S.A. (greencard holder). She came here to visit me. I unfortunately did not get her a travel health insurance. I will need to pay the hospital bills and I am very willing to. But now, I need to work 4 days a week = 30 hrs a week so I could look after my mother during my days off until she is allowed to fly back to the U.S. (because of her current condition).

My question is that, what benefit/s can I claim so I could pay my regular bills / rent while my mother is recovering? I also need to buy healthy foods for my mother and pay for her physiotherapist as she is not covered by NHS or any insurance. I never tried claiming benefits so I really have no idea how to go about.

Thank you for your help in advance.

You might be able to claim Universal Credit, if you qualify for that benefit, but they might look at why you have reduced your hours to claim benefits. Stating that you have done this to look after your mother who is in the UK as a visitor, will not be a valid reason.

Can you get other family members to help with the costs of your mother until she is able to return to the US? As you have found out, it is a very expensive mistake to travel without health insurance.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:23 am

https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit

You could try asking your local council if they would reduce your Council Tax becasue you have cut your working hours, but it would be up to them if they will do this. You might also find that when you increase your hours again when your mother returns home, they then base their calcutlation on a tax year and that you would mean you have to pay back the reduced payments they had given you.

rosina90

Post by rosina90 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:59 am

Thank you for your reply!

Yes, lesson learned. Always have travel health insurance.

I have to reduce working hours (as my sister has to do as well), so mom will not be left alone at home during recovery. She can't travel back to the U.S. in the next 8 weeks.

Appreciate your reply.