ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR - Pre-Application documents needed

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

mpitillo
Brazil

ILR - Pre-Application documents needed

Post by mpitillo » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:18 pm

Hello everyone,

I am completing in this coming October my 5th year in my current Tier 2 (General) Work Visa, that I got sponsored by the company I work for. Because of that, they've suggested that I apply for ILR, instead of just a visa extension. However, I will only be able to initiate this application 15 days before my Work Visa expires, so I would like to be able to already get a few of the documents needed for the application ready for when the time comes.

My understanding is that I will need to complete both an English Test and the "Live in UK" tests. I have a few questions that I was hoping that you could help me out clarifying those.

English Test:
1. I was planning to get the IELTS for this, but I am unsure with which of the options I should take? Is the IELTS Life Skills - B1 the correct test for ILR?

2. In comparison to the old IELTS General test, is the Life Skills B1 easier or harder than the old one?

Life in UK Test:
1. When can I book and do the Life in UK test? Can I only book it once I have already initiated/sent my ILR application? Or could I book it immediately to save time?

2. How frequently there are test dates available?

3. Does the Life in UK Test have an expiration date?

4. Do you recommend any specific books to read to get ready for the test? Is the test hard?

Finally, do I also need a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) from the company I work for, as part of the application? Or is this no longer needed at this stage?

Thank you so much for your time!

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: ILR - Pre-Application documents needed

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:06 pm

mpitillo wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:18 pm
Hello everyone,

I am completing in this coming October my 5th year in my current Tier 2 (General) Work Visa, that I got sponsored by the company I work for. Because of that, they've suggested that I apply for ILR, instead of just a visa extension. However, I will only be able to initiate this application 15 days before my Work Visa expires, so I would like to be able to already get a few of the documents needed for the application ready for when the time comes.

My understanding is that I will need to complete both an English Test and the "Live in UK" tests. I have a few questions that I was hoping that you could help me out clarifying those.

English Test:
1. I was planning to get the IELTS for this, but I am unsure with which of the options I should take? Is the IELTS Life Skills - B1 the correct test for ILR?

2. In comparison to the old IELTS General test, is the Life Skills B1 easier or harder than the old one?

Life in UK Test:
1. When can I book and do the Life in UK test? Can I only book it once I have already initiated/sent my ILR application? Or could I book it immediately to save time?

4. Do you recommend any specific books to read to get ready for the test? Is the test hard?

Finally, do I also need a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) from the company I work for, as part of the application? Or is this no longer needed at this stage?

English test:
https://www.trinitycollege.com/site/?id=3220

Life in UK:
https://www.gov.uk/life-in-the-uk-test

You must take both tests before you apply. There is no expiration date for LIUK. You can take it anytime even now.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

mpitillo
Brazil

Post by mpitillo » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:15 pm

tier11417 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:06 pm
mpitillo wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:18 pm
Hello everyone,

English Test:

Life in UK Test:

English test:
https://www.trinitycollege.com/site/?id=3220

Life in UK:
https://www.gov.uk/life-in-the-uk-test

You must take both tests before you apply. There is no expiration date for LIUK. You can take it anytime even now.
Thank you so much for the reply.

Can’t I do the IELTS English test instead of the GESE? I’ve done IELTS a couple of times in the past and I’m comfortable with it, whilst I never done GESE before. And if IELTS is an option, is the category I mentioned the correct one?

Finally, for Life in UK, I still can’t find any of the answers I’ve asked in the page you pointed me to. I suppose the main question I still have is in how frequently there are test dates available for this test?

Thank you again!

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:35 pm

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... update.pdf

The test should be on the approved test list and also the approved test centre. I think the trinity link i posted is the easiest one. Its only 10min. You can have a look for yourself about other approved tests and centres in the link posted above.

LIUK I really dont know about the availability. But as I remember when I booked mine, it was pretty fast. I think less than a week. There are different centres you can choose from so I dont think availability will be any issue.

Everyone has their own experience preparing for LIUK. Some read the official book. You can google it. Some just do the online tests/exams.

I only did online exams and passed mine without any issue. However, I am not allowed to paste any third party website links here.

Re: COS question wait for someone else to respond as I am not aware or Tier 2 category.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

mpitillo
Brazil

Post by mpitillo » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:36 am

tier11417 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:35 pm
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... update.pdf

The test should be on the approved test list and also the approved test centre. I think the trinity link i posted is the easiest one. Its only 10min. You can have a look for yourself about other approved tests and centres in the link posted above.

LIUK I really dont know about the availability. But as I remember when I booked mine, it was pretty fast. I think less than a week. There are different centres you can choose from so I dont think availability will be any issue.

Everyone has their own experience preparing for LIUK. Some read the official book. You can google it. Some just do the online tests/exams.

I only did online exams and passed mine without any issue. However, I am not allowed to paste any third party website links here.

Re: COS question wait for someone else to respond as I am not aware or Tier 2 category.
Thank you ever so much for your time. I will look into the options of English Tests etc.

RE: CoS Question i will wait to see if anyone else might have the answer to it.

Thanks!

aplinhar
Mood:
Brazil

Post by aplinhar » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:11 am

Hello mpitillo fellow Brazilian :)

English test:
1. IELTS is a proper test (don't know how difficult it is to book), but the GESE Grade 5 (B1) is a 10 min chat that you can book for the next day.

2. GESE is dead easy...I would go with it unless you can make use of the IELTS test later for something else.

Life in the UK:
1. I would do asap since booking may be tricky and you need all tests in hand when doing the application, otherwise you may end up not having the certificates for the scanning.
You can buy the book or study using lifeintheuktestweb.co.uk. I studied online for a few days and was ok.

2. Random, my husband got for the next 3 days and I got 3 weeks later.

3. No expiry date.

4. Official handbook, but if you have any familiarity with laws here in the UK or history you can study online I suppose...depends how confident you are when doing the online training tests.

No COS anymore. To be honest, IRL for Tier 2 requires far less interaction with the company than getting or renewing the visa. Just get the letters (confirming they will still employ you and absenses), couple of paylips stamped and I believe that is it from the company....it's all on you.

Pay attention to the rules of absense and when the date starts to count. If you took too long to come to the UK after the VISA was issued, that counts towards the 180 yearly limit and as you are applying near your expiry date...that can be problematic. As I don't know your exact dates, this suggestion might be silly...but just be careful.

mpitillo
Brazil

Post by mpitillo » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:08 pm

aplinhar wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:11 am
Hello mpitillo fellow Brazilian :)

English test:
1. IELTS is a proper test (don't know how difficult it is to book), but the GESE Grade 5 (B1) is a 10 min chat that you can book for the next day.

2. GESE is dead easy...I would go with it unless you can make use of the IELTS test later for something else.

Life in the UK:
1. I would do asap since booking may be tricky and you need all tests in hand when doing the application, otherwise you may end up not having the certificates for the scanning.
You can buy the book or study using lifeintheuktestweb.co.uk. I studied online for a few days and was ok.

2. Random, my husband got for the next 3 days and I got 3 weeks later.

3. No expiry date.

4. Official handbook, but if you have any familiarity with laws here in the UK or history you can study online I suppose...depends how confident you are when doing the online training tests.

No COS anymore. To be honest, IRL for Tier 2 requires far less interaction with the company than getting or renewing the visa. Just get the letters (confirming they will still employ you and absenses), couple of paylips stamped and I believe that is it from the company....it's all on you.

Pay attention to the rules of absense and when the date starts to count. If you took too long to come to the UK after the VISA was issued, that counts towards the 180 yearly limit and as you are applying near your expiry date...that can be problematic. As I don't know your exact dates, this suggestion might be silly...but just be careful.
This is fantastic information here, thank you so much!

I was mainly thinking on IELTS only because I'm familiar with the General Test one (I got a C1 result last time), but if GESE is even easier and quicker I might go for it then. Thanks!

Could you point me to more details or some sort of template for the "Confirmation of Absenses"? I haven't been away from UK for that amount of days for the past 5 years, whoever I did do some quick business trips and vacation trips out of the country. Is that the sort of thing I have to list? And does my employer have to sign something related to it as well? If there is a template, that would be great.

Finally, quick question about passport: By the time I apply for ILR, my passport will only have 5-6 months left on it. Would that be alright? I know that I can use an expired password that contains ILR on it, but unsure if I can get ILR in a passport that will expire soon in the first place.

Thank you so much for your time! ;)

aplinhar
Mood:
Brazil

Post by aplinhar » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:04 pm

So, we did two letters for the main applicant (using the templates people post here + some changes):

TO UK BORDER AGENCY
ABSENCE LETTER - LEAVE TO REMAIN (SET O)

<date>

Dear Sir / Madam,
CONFIRMATION OF UK ABSENCE FOR xxxxxxx
I wish to confirm that the bearer xxxxxxx is a full-time employee of <company's name>. His/hers employment began on the <date start contract> and was issued a TIER 2 GENERAL VISA in <visa date> under the employment position of “<position held>”.

Find enclosed the table detailing his/hers absences from the UK, covering the full period
of his employment and specifying reasons of absence.

The total number days outside the United Kingdom is x, being y days related to work commitments and z days taken from his annual leave allowance.
Please note that he was paid full time salary during these holidays.

Do not hesitate to contact me if further information is needed.

Yours Sincerely,

<HR person/manager and stamp>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TO UK BORDER AGENCY
ABSENCE LETTER - LEAVE TO REMAIN (SET O)

<date>

Dear Sir / Madam,

Application of xxxxxxx for indefinite leave to remain in the UK under the Work Permit approved employment category.
This is to state that xxxxxxx is presently employed by <company's name> since <date start contract> (on Tier 2 general visa granted in <date visa>) and presently holds the position of <position held>.
xxxxxxx current work permit is valid until <date visa ends> but we will continue to employ him/her for the foreseeable future.
His current annual salary is GBP <salary> which is above the appropriate rate required per SOC code <....>, as stated in the codes of practice for Tier 2 Sponsors.

Extra info in my case: A significant raise in his salary has occurred in July 2018 due to being promoted to a senior position (with the same responsibilities and closest SOC code <....>), which
has been informed via SMS system.

Should you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact the undersigned.

Yours faithfully

<HR person/manager and stamp>

About the passport, it's only used now as proof of identity and the stamps. Doesn't matter if the VISA is in an old expired/replaced passport since IRL is proved by a new biometric card. The renewal is only necessary for travelling, since most countries require a passport with 3 months minimum (even as turist). It's your choice really, as you have to list/scan all passports used during your stay in the UK.

aplinhar
Mood:
Brazil

Post by aplinhar » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:11 pm

Forgot to say:

The letters must use the company's logo/details template.

If your HR is nice, I suppose they will sign and stamp the list of absenses (since they were aware of them). In case they dont, I believe you will need to write a cover letter...same style, explaining each absense and using the stamps as proof (when doing the scanning).
But I suppose if you do the template yourself and ask them nicelly, they will do. 8)

mpitillo
Brazil

Post by mpitillo » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:36 pm

Thank you so much again for your reply, aplinhar.

I don't think our company/HR has an official stamp of any kind, but she did print everything in the official company's logo letterhead and details template. Do you think the lack of stamp could be a problem? She also signed the extra page (attachment) with my travel history.

Finally, looking at the different templates for the letters, I've seeing people using different groups in the "TO" field. Do you know which one is the most appropriate version nowadays? Some examples I've seen were:
- Home Office
- Public Enquiry Office
- UK Border Agency

Thank you again!

mpitillo
Brazil

Home Office, Public Enquiry Office or UK Border Agency?

Post by mpitillo » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:39 pm

Hello everyone,

I have being looking for different letter templates for the different documentation my employer has to provide for my ILR application. I came across different "places" referred under the "TO", in each letter. For example, TO:
- Home Office
- Public Enquiry Office
- UK Border Agency

Which one would be the most appropriate one?

Thank you for your time!

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:50 pm

Home office is fine. UKBA does not exist :!:
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

mpitillo
Brazil

Post by mpitillo » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:01 pm

Zimba wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:50 pm
Home office is fine. UKBA does not exist :!:
Thank you so much for your answer.

It just makes me a little bit confused, because I can see that some people "addresses" the letters to "Home Office", while other examples are for "UK Visa and Immigration".

My understanding is that PSCs/PEOs are now closed, and now applications are submitted and collected by UKVCAS. But this centre does not evaluate the content of the letters, so it is correct to address it to UKVI, or Home Office? Or are both the same thing? LOL. Sorry for double checking. I just want to make sure that I get this right.

Thank you!

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:27 pm

You are not required to address it to anyone. Even 'to whom it may concern' will be fine. You are overthinking this
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice