ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Jaxx22
Finland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by Jaxx22 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:23 am

FlyingMum wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:07 pm
I apologise if this has been asked before but are, in anyone’s experience, straightforward applications being processed quicker i.e. ones with a clear paper trail any faster than more complex ones. Or, does it appear that they are just working systematically through the pile?
They don't really explain what would be classed as a complex application, it would be good to have some sort of guideline though.

My application is in my opinion quite straightforward but again as we don't know what they refer to as being a complex application what I think is straightforward might not be.

So saying when I called a couple of weeks ago to inform them of a change of address they said that my application is in the final stages - what this means I do not know, I applied in February of this year so my guess is that it really varies from where you apply from too.

Jaxx22
Finland

Post by Jaxx22 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:27 am

Hol292 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:18 am
My certificate is date 5th July, which is the same day I received an email asking me to confirm if my postal address is the same as on my initial application.

Certificate was delivered on 11th July so less than a week later.

Hope that helps everyone! :-)

Good luck to those still waiting. Not long now I’m sure.
Congratulations

Interesting that they asked to confirm address is still the same, had you informed them of a move during the application process?

I have recently informed of a new address and asked if they would be able to confirm it has been changed but I don't really expect to get that so wondering if they then just double check before sending out if you have done this. I am thinking perhaps I should call them in the next couple of weeks to check it has been changed.

kkjak

Post by kkjak » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:49 am

My timeline 👇👇👇

September 20, 2018 Applied online.
September 27, 2018 Application received based on An Post tracking.
September 27, 2018 Dfat.ie confirmation email that application and supporting documentation received.

An infant with a naturalised Irish citizen parent should,
Applied from within Ireland,
I just called today to Dublin office, they told me that due to high volume of applications due to Brexit, your application will be starting processing from Med October 2019 😥
Waiting is on

FlyingMum

Post by FlyingMum » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:35 pm

The long wait starts today for my son. He applied online last Wednesday (10/7) and posted complete documentation tracked delivery today. His shouldn’t be a complex one, descent through me from my Irish born mother. The DFA might not appreciate it but I inserted the documentation relating to each one of us in three separate, clearly labelled wallets showing relationship plus the relevant check lists to confirm everything was in place. Hopefully, making it as easy as possible for them to see a clear paper trail.

oction
Newly Registered

Post by oction » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:29 pm

Hol292 wrote:
My certificate is date 5th July, which is the same day I received an email asking me to confirm if my postal address is the same as on my initial application.

Thanks Hol -- really interesting. I received my 'confirm address' email on 2nd July and still nothing yet. Did you get a 'congratulations on becoming an Irish citizen' email also? We'll see what happens!
Sulla wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:10 pm
August 2018 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2018.[/b]
Oction – received August 1st / Pending
Sean – received August 2nd (Added to FBR December 19th 2018)
Spav – received August 3rd (Added to FBR December 11th 2018)
Amcbamcb – received August 8th (Added to FBR May 17th 2019)
Hol292 – received August 10th / Added to FBR July 5th 2019)
Sulla – received August 14th (Added to FBR November 28th 2018)
LeifRNR – received August 14th / Pending
Laurie – received August 15th / Pending
Michael – received August 21st / (Added to FBR June 7th 2019)
Donna – received August 21st / (Added to FBR June 7th 2019)
Upliam _ received August 22nd / Pending
USczKat – received August 23rd / Pending
Pumps100 – received August 29th / Pending
MaddeningBike – received August 30th / Pending
Nydccub – received August 31st / Pending
Thanks for updating the list Sulia! Interesting to see the spread here. Makes me wonder how they are processing these, seems to be very much luck of the draw.

Pasoma
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ireland

Post by Pasoma » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:29 pm

Hi All

Thank you for the Update about fees, its just frustrating not to have any update at list the stage status of the application.
Can't planned anything with the family , sure need to send some JuJu there lol
Good luck for all , i will update you all

Court2

Post by Court2 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:04 pm

September 2018 applicant still clinging on here, hope to see some end of August/start of September approvals and certificates sent out very shortly reported here!

usczkat
Mood:
United States of America

Post by usczkat » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:54 pm

Hol292 wrote:

Thanks so much for your response Hol292. Congrats on your finally finishing this portion of the race! Seems as though there is a difference in timing for applying from different countries, hah, at that rate, different anything! No clear rhyme or reason, but indeed, movement.
Close to 11 months for me. Watching and waiting.
Nice to hear good news such as yours to help with knowing things are happening..

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:52 pm

oction wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:29 pm

Thanks for updating the list Sulia! Interesting to see the spread here. Makes me wonder how they are processing these, seems to be very much luck of the draw.
I'm sure if you were recently asked for address confirmation then that is a very positive sign. Based on date of application, you should be next in line to hear something. Hopefully, Laurie and LeifRnR will not be far behind you.

Jacqui309

Post by Jacqui309 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:35 pm

Sulla wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:10 pm
May 2018 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2018.
Jacqui309 – received May 15th / Pending
Emma86 – received May 30th (Added to FBR November 20th 2018)

June 2018 applicants and date FBR applications received / added. All received dates 2018.
Ben321 – received mid-June / Pending
Cindy – received June 14th / Pending
156Nathan – received June 16th (Added to FBR November 14th 2018

Jacqui's remains the longest wait at a painful 14 months. I can only presume that her request for additional documents / clarifications in October meant that her application got bundled with the large group of post August applications. These sat at the London embassy for months before being sent to Dublin at the turn of the year.
Sulla painful as it is thanks for this. The email I received on 3/10/18 for some clarification was actually from Dublin so my information wasn’t delayed in London.

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:14 pm

Here is a reply I just received to a question posed in March 2019. I queried the 50% figure that had been quoted for incomplete applications. Since the FBR department claimed there was no record of such information, I asked the Tánaiste's office where he sourced his facts from. The response was not exactly rapid. Actually, I had forgotten all about it. For what it is worth here it is:

On behalf of the Tánaiste and Minster for Foreign Affairs and Trade, Mr. Simon Coveney T.D., I would like to thank you for your enquiry in relation to the number of incomplete Foreign Births Registration (FBR) applications received.

Foreign Births Registration, by its nature, can be a detailed and complex process often involving documents covering different generations and several jurisdictions. It has been the experience of our teams that a significant volume of applications require follow up action before they can be processed. Due to resource constraints it is not possible to keep an ongoing record of this follow up. However based on the experience of officials dealing with these applications on a daily basis I’m informed that it can be as high as 50%.

The Department has responded to increased demand by creating a new Foreign Birth Registration team to review and streamline processes. This will introduce improvements for efficiency, data based decision making for identifying trends and for security, particularly with regards to identity.

LeifRnR
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by LeifRnR » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:28 am

Yay! We have some progress on our application. Received an email today that says my wife will be approved for FBR shortly. The application will not be approved until we confirm our address by return email - unless we moved. If we moved (we haven’t yet) they require proof of new address. It has been just over 11 months since application was received.

usczkat
Mood:
United States of America

Post by usczkat » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:06 am

LeifRnR wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:28 am
Yay! We have some progress on our application. Received an email today that says my wife will be approved for FBR shortly. The application will not be approved until we confirm our address by return email - unless we moved. If we moved (we haven’t yet) they require proof of new address. It has been just over 11 months since application was received.
That is great news! Did you both apply, or just your wife?

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:39 am

LeifRnR wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:28 am
Finally, some progress. Hopefully, this means that you will receive the certificate in the very near future. I am sure this is a weight off your shoulders.

LeifRnR
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by LeifRnR » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:14 pm

usczkat wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:06 am

Unfortunately, I do not qualify. Only my wife applied. We will use the EU family reunification policy to meet our goals.

Lee2521
Ireland

Post by Lee2521 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:08 pm

LeifRnR wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:14 pm
usczkat wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:06 am

Unfortunately, I do not qualify. Only my wife applied. We will use the EU family reunification policy to meet our goals.
Hi LeifRnR

If you reside in Ireland for 4 years out of the 9 years you can become a naturalised citizen through marraige to an Irish citizen

oction
Newly Registered

Post by oction » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:02 am

Some good news on my end. Received my certificate in the post yesterday (18th July) which states date of entry as 11th July. So about a 11 month wait for me!

Good luck to everyone applying, hopefully the last August and September applicants will be processed soon. Onto the passport process...

sqimandy
Newly Registered

Post by sqimandy » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:11 am

kkjak wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:49 am
September 27, 2018 Dfat.ie
confirmation email that application and supporting documentation received.

I just called today to Dublin office, they told me that due to high volume of applications due to Brexit, your application will be starting processing from Med October 2019 😥
My application receipt was confirmed on exactly the same day. They told me late August of early September a few weeks ago, so the date is creeping backwards! :roll:

usczkat
Mood:
United States of America

Post by usczkat » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:00 pm

oction wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:02 am
Some good news on my end. Received my certificate in the post yesterday (18th July) which states date of entry as 11th July. So about a 11 month wait for me!

Good luck to everyone applying, hopefully the last August and September applicants will be processed soon. Onto the passport process...
Wow, great news! You did not recieve any email, just got it in the mail? Congratulations!!

Colleen
Newly Registered
Mood:

Foreign Birth Registration refused as illegitimate

Post by Colleen » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:26 pm

My foreign birth registration application has been rejected because Dad’s name is not on my British birth certificate. My parents and I thought this had all been rectified in 1976 but it appears not and Dad would be very upset.
I was born in July 1954, before my parents married. My dad had been in the Merchant Navy since wartime and was at sea by the time my mother registered my birth in August 1954, so the registrar told her Dad’s name could not be put on my birth certificate because they were unmarried. She was still using her maiden name at the time and they didn’t get married until 1957, when Dad left the navy. They were a bit embarrassed about this but my parents believed children were legitimised by their parents’ Catholic marriage and never realised they could have added his name retrospectively to my birth certificate. I was just known by dad’s surname and knew no different. I went to school and right through my university education using that surname, unaware of any discrepancy.
It was only just before my degree exams & I was away at University. I was 21 years old and needed a passport for my first job overseas, so I got my birth certificate and realised (to my horror) the wrong surname was on it. Dad took legal advice. His solicitor said the cheapest and quickest was to get my urgently needed passport was to change my name by deed poll to that by which I had always been known, so in 1976 I did this. I sent this document and copies of my school certificates, Cert. Ed and B.Ed. Hons degree (all in dad’s surname) to Dublin with other required documents. Dad’s name is, of course, on my marriage certificate.
I sent the explanation above with my application but they won’t believe Dad is my father unless I get his name added to my birth certificate retrospectively, otherwise he will not process my application.
Now, I am sixty-five years old and Dad passed away 10 years ago and my mother 20 years ago. I spoke to several really helpful people at the Registrar’s Office here today but they don’t think Dad’s name can be added now. They thought it unlikely I would get a Declaration of Paternity from the Courts, as all Dad’s siblings have passed away, so no reliable DNA could be obtained. They said that the normal process in cases like this is for the child, if an adult over 18, to change to their father’s name by Deed Poll, which I had already done in 1976.
I think this is really unfair on “illegitimate” children, as there are loads of people born within wedlock who are not who they think they are! I never thought there would be specific rules for children whose parents marry after the birth of their children. I thought the Irish laws on illegitimacy had been updated recently

Lee2521
Ireland

Post by Lee2521 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:11 pm

Hi Colleen
This is really hard to answer and the only thing which is coming to my head is, on Ancestry.com there is a data base of birth records and census. So you could find your birth on the registrar on a long list of other names born on the same day in the same district as you and possibly with your dad's name.
The Census also could show your dad registered at the address you all lived at together in 1961 and show the relationship between every member of the household.

I don't know if these ideas are any good but someone else might be able to help you more to see if the registrar office will accept that as proof or is there another way OF to change your certificate to add your dad if possible and also if you have some proof to show the FBR can they accept this instead of birth certificate with both your parents names on it.

For sourcing info other than Ancestry or additional there is the National Archives for the UK in Kew Gardens, London.

I hope you find a way to get your application approved

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Re: Foreign Birth Registration refused as illegitimate

Post by Sulla » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:10 pm

Colleen wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:26 pm

I sent the explanation above with my application but they won’t believe Dad is my father unless I get his name added to my birth certificate retrospectively, otherwise he will not process my application.
Now, I am sixty-five years old and Dad passed away 10 years ago and my mother 20 years ago. I spoke to several really helpful people at the Registrar’s Office here today but they don’t think Dad’s name can be added now. They thought it unlikely I would get a Declaration of Paternity from the Courts, as all Dad’s siblings have passed away, so no reliable DNA could be obtained. They said that the normal process in cases like this is for the child, if an adult over 18, to change to their father’s name by Deed Poll, which I had already done in 1976.
I think this is really unfair on “illegitimate” children, as there are loads of people born within wedlock who are not who they think they are! I never thought there would be specific rules for children whose parents marry after the birth of their children. I thought the Irish laws on illegitimacy had been updated recently
I think the only hope in this instance is to seek legal advice and go to court to get a declaration of paternity. This can be granted without DNA sampling if there is a sufficiency of other evidence. I assume you would need things like sworn affidavits from a number of people who were aware of the circumstances, plus letters / recordings from your parents talking about this issue. In terms of DNA testing, it could also be done on the children of your father's siblings (your cousins) to establish a link - albeit a weaker one. If there is enough evidence cumulatively then a judge may sign off on the declaration of paternity and then you can present that to the registrars office and have the birth certificate amended. Of course this process is unlikely to be either rapid or particularity affordable.

oction
Newly Registered

Post by oction » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:40 pm

usczkat wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:00 pm
oction wrote:

Wow, great news! You did not recieve any email, just got it in the mail? Congratulations!!
Yep - I was a bit surprised when it just turned up!

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:41 pm

oction wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:40 pm
usczkat wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:00 pm
oction wrote:

Yep - I was a bit surprised when it just turned up!
Congratulations Oction. I hope your passport process goes smoothly and I do recommend a trip to Glasgow or Liverpool to avail yourself of the Passport Express service.

Valiant24
Newly Registered

Post by Valiant24 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:21 pm

In the meantime, however, Oction popped up with an August 1st 2018 application date - which means that we are no longer in the position of all the people from the start of August having been moved through.

I applied on 16th August 2018 and, apart from the automatic email confirmation, have heard absolutely zilch.