ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship and passport application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Elielman75
Newly Registered
Iran

Early Citizenship

Post by Elielman75 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:30 am

Hi all,

I have received my ILR last March. I may go to a work assignment in Italy for a year. I want to know if my employer writes to home office to ask them to issue my passport quickly let say in a month, will home office accept to do so? Are there exceptions?

joeano353
BANNED
Tuvalu

Re: Early Citizenship

Post by joeano353 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:06 am

First HO does not entertain communication from 3rd party. Second, what passport would anyone request. You have to apply for naturalisation after one year of PR get naturalised and then apply for a passport. Whilst applying for naturalisation, you need to be in the country for specified periods. Permitted Absence of 450 days over 5 years and 90 days in the last year. Plus being in the country on the date five years prior to the application.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:14 am

Elielman75 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:30 am
Hi all,

I have received my ILR last March. I may go to a work assignment in Italy for a year. I want to know if my employer writes to home office to ask them to issue my passport quickly let say in a month, will home office accept to do so? Are there exceptions?
There are no exceptions. Why should HO treat your application for the privilege of citizenship any differently to anyone else applying.

Note also that there is a requirement to state your future intention to live in the UK too.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Elielman75
Newly Registered
Iran

Post by Elielman75 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:13 pm

joeano353 wrote:Plus being in the country on the date five years prior to the application.
I did not understand last part of your comments.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:25 pm

It means that the date that you submit and pay for your citizenship application must correspond to you being physically present in the UK exactly 5 years ago, ie not away on holiday, business etc.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Elielman75
Newly Registered
Iran

Application timing

Post by Elielman75 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:13 pm

Hi,

I have my ILR from 14th March 2019. When do I need exactly to apply for my citizenship? Please give me a precise date.

Shall I apply for citizenship or passport? Which one comes first? If I need to apply for each separately what is the process and requirements?

Many thanks
Eli

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Application timing

Post by CR001 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:20 pm

Topics merged!!!
I have my ILR from 14th March 2019. When do I need exactly to apply for my citizenship? Please give me a precise date.
Once you have held ILR for 12 full months. There is no early application option like 28 days early.
Shall I apply for citizenship or passport? Which one comes first?

Only a British citizen can apply for a British passport. You are not British until your citizenship application has been approved AND you have attended your citizenship ceremony. Only then can you apply for a passport.
If I need to apply for each separately what is the process and requirements?
Apply for citizenship online. Upload docs once submitted and you have booked your ukcvas biometric appointment. Then you wait to hear back from Jo. Once you get approval letter, you phone your council to book your ceremony. Attend ceremony. Then apply for a passport. The whole process for citizenship can take from a couple of months up to 6 months, sometimes longer. Passport can take anywhere between a couple of weeks up to 6 weeks.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Elielman75
Newly Registered
Iran

British Citizenship and passport application

Post by Elielman75 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:34 pm

Dears,

Can you please help me to understand:

1. When to apply for BC and passport?
2. What are the steps?
3. Which documents do I need to make ready and submit how and when?
4. What is the application process?
5. Can I apply myself or need to have a solicitor?
6. Can I apply for BC and passport all in once?
7. For a very routine application, how long does it take to have the British passport and citizenship?
8. What are the difference between passport and citizenship process? Are not they the same?
9. What rights one will gain with having citizenship and British Passport?

Apologies I am so new to this and I think here is the best place to understand the thinks.

I really appreciate your guidance.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: British Citizenship and passport application

Post by CR001 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:43 pm

Topics merged!!

1. You have to apply for citizenship first. You can only apply for a passport once you are british, which is once you have attended your ceremony.

2. Read the advice already given above when you asked before.

3. See #2

4. See #2

5. You don't need a solicitor. It is not a difficult application to make.

6. No, they are two separate processes.

7. Citizenship can take anywhere from a couple of months up to 6 months, sometime longer. A passport is a separate application once you are British.

8. A passport is a travel document that only a British citizen can apply for. Citizenship is the process to become a British citizen.

9. Same rights are any other British citizen.
Char (CR001 not Casa)