ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switched from Tier 2 General to Tier 4 - Do I have to return my old BRP?

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

GrimAI
Newly Registered
India

Switched from Tier 2 General to Tier 4 - Do I have to return my old BRP?

Post by GrimAI » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:41 am

Hi,

I came to the UK a few years ago on a Tier 2 General (originally valid until Dec 2021) and I switched to a Tier 4 visa recently and received my BRP.

In the email I received from the UK Home Office, this is what they say

If you hold a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) because your leave has expired, or you were issued with a replacement you must now return it to the Home Office as it no longer valid. You should cut the card in half and post it in a plain, windowless envelope.

Because my Tier 2 leave hasn't expired and because it wasn't a replacement, do I have to return it? Or am I mis-reading this - are they saying I need to return the old BRP because I have a "replacement" Tier 4 BRP now?

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Switched from Tier 2 General to Tier 4 - Do I have to return my old BRP?

Post by sah10406 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:11 am

GrimAI wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:41 am
Because my Tier 2 leave hasn't expired and because it wasn't a replacement, do I have to return it?
No. If you did, it would not limit the returns to those situations.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

GrimAI
Newly Registered
India

Post by GrimAI » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:26 pm

sah10406 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:11 am
GrimAI wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:41 am
Because my Tier 2 leave hasn't expired and because it wasn't a replacement, do I have to return it?
No. If you did, it would not limit the returns to those situations.
Not sure I follow - I don't have to return it? Or that I have to return it and the reasons aren't just limited to those situations?

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:52 am

GrimAI wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:26 pm
Not sure I follow - I don't have to return it? Or that I have to return it and the reasons aren't just limited to those situations?
Given your anxiety about this matter, I suggest you get advice from the International Student Adviser at your university.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

GrimAI
Newly Registered
India

Post by GrimAI » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:11 am

sah10406 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:52 am
GrimAI wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:26 pm
Given your anxiety about this matter, I suggest you get advice from the International Student Adviser at your university.
Not anxious at all. If I don't have to return it, I'll just use it for ID purposes (at bars etc) and put my Tier 4 BRP away for safe keeping