ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help/advice required, both panicking and scared

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

trevor-austin
Newly Registered

Help/advice required, both panicking and scared

Post by trevor-austin » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:30 am

Hi, I am a 56 year old British Citizen who married a Zimbabwean national in the UK on a visa with home office approval last October.

My wife has been in the UK since 2003 on student visa then a couple of leave to remains, she had a short overstay about 10 years ago but ignored in subsequent applications so I understand that is now disregarded.

She applied for indefinite leave to remain in 2015 and that was rejected along with the appeal, She changed solicitors and chose somebody she has massive trust in and evidently an excellent track record. He chose to put her on a family life visa with 10 year route to citizenship. That visa was won with her previous partner but they didn't marry and the relationship collapsed fairly quickly with domestic abuse, etc. During that period we met and I divorced my wife extremely amicably ( we were only staying together as we were friends and it saved a lot of money)
My wife and I began living together in August 2017 (we have proof as I immediately told the council, made her my beneficiary for insurances and pensions and put her on my BUPA work membership, in addition we filled out change of status forms and address on the home office site, but didn't even get an acknowledgement back.
We asked the home office for permission to marry the following year in 2018 and got married in October 2018 obviously with their approval. Her previous visa expired December 2018 so the solicitor recommended we applied for a new visa for family life, exactly the same basis but of course we were married. We wrote long supporting statements and got hundreds of photos, etc. That was in November 2018.
Not expecting any problems we got on with our lives and a few weeks ago got asked to do the biometric documentation. We did that and started planning our first holiday together,
Then as a massive shock we got a refusal of the visa last Friday, certified so that we can't even appeal and notice that she will be removed in the future.
This has had a massive negative effect on us and our lives and the solicitor has said he is shocked and is preparing a Judicial Review with a barrister and is very confident that something has been missed.
The refusal letter is all very official but doesn't at any point say we shouldn't stay in the UK for any reasons but concentrates on stating my wife could return to Zimbabwe with no issues and I should give up my job and go with her, at 56 to a country in economic collapse and a very dim view of interracial marriage and high levels of violence, crime and civil unrest. To say I am upset and shocked at that response is a massive understatement. What 56 year old with a good job, pension and owning their own house would throw it all up and go anywhere let alone there.
So in my research I have found that the solicitor didn't pass our statements on to the case worker, just a 3 line summary saying
1) Trevor has elderly parents in their 80s,
2) His daughter live in the UK
3) They are in love and don't want to leave

We haven't been requested to give any more information, had a home visit or done an interview, all of which we would love to be given the opportunity to do.

And almost identical for my wife's statements, whereas we wrote 6 pages between us explaining , was that really the right thing to do or should our statements have been passed?
Yesterday I wrote directly to the case worker with a new letter requesting they reconsider and more detail about us, along with another letter from myself and the two original statements that should have been sent with the application.

Is judicial review the right way to go or, as I believe, with my very limited knowledge but the agreement of the Immigration office advice line, apply for a new visa an FLR M, on reading the application for that and various online advice on it I don't see how that one could be refused. I feel we may have applied for the wrong visa. For the M visa I can get letters from work, friends clubs we belong to, my ex wife in support of us.

Any advice or help would be gratefully received thanks.

Any more information needed please ask.

trevor-austin
Newly Registered

Re: Help/advice required, both panicking and scared

Post by trevor-austin » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:51 am

My post, which I don't appear to be able to edit, should have read that I wrote directly to the case worker along with another letter from my wife.

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:58 am

I believe the situation you've found yourselves in has been complicated by the fact that your wife's previous visa was issued under the relationship with her unmarried partner, which subsequently broke down. The ex-partner was required to notify the Home Office that the relationship was no longer subsisting. The notification may well not have taken place, but the circumstances will have been evident on the HO system when processing this recent visa application.

You aren't able to switch from one partnership/spouse visa to another when in a new relationship, so FLR(M) would also have stood to be refused. The HO 'help' line is outsourced to any agency, with call centre staff who have very limited knowledge on the Immigration Rules, even on the simplest of issues and frequently give incorrect advice.

Can you post the exact reasons given in the refusal letter (omitting any personal details).

Has your legal advisor made you aware of the considerable costs involved in a JR :?:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:04 pm

Casa wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:58 am
The HO 'help' line is outsourced to any agency, with call centre staff who have very limited knowledge on the Immigration Rules, even on the simplest of issues and frequently give incorrect advice.
I confirm that. Even the simplest queries are given answers very close to fantasy.

For the OP. please don't worry. I know it's easy to say that but I can't tell you myself how many times I received letters asking me to leave the country immediately. This happened in multiple countries and I now have 3 citizenships :)

I don't know about any judge in this country that would require the police to forcibly remove a women involved in a bona fide marriage. The case was made complex by the fact that she had a partner before and got a residence based on that relationship and now she is in a different relationship. Socially, there is no issue with that but when it comes to visas and residence, it's a complication factor.

What are the reasons stated in the refusal letter? They always say why they refused. This is usually a good start to see how to go forward.

trevor-austin
Newly Registered

Post by trevor-austin » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:46 pm

Casa wrote:
I believe the situation you've found yourselves in has been complicated by the fact that your wife's previous visa was issued under the relationship with her unmarried partner, which subsequently broke down. The ex-partner was required to notify the Home Office that the relationship was no longer subsisting. The notification may well not have taken place, but the circumstances will have been evident on the HO system when processing this recent visa application.

You aren't able to switch from one partnership/spouse visa to another when in a new relationship, so FLR(M) would also have stood to be refused. The HO 'help' line is outsourced to any agency, with call centre staff who have very limited knowledge on the Immigration Rules, even on the simplest of issues and frequently give incorrect advice.

Can you post the exact reasons given in the refusal letter (omitting any personal details).

Has your legal advisor made you aware of the considerable costs involved in a JR :?:
Thank you both for responding so quickly.

On page 1 it says "the case has been refused and we are not allowed to appeal until she has left the country. If you think there are reasons why you should be allowed to stay in the United Kingdom you must tell us now. Instructions on how to do this are in the next steps section of this letter"
However that isn't the case there are no instructions on how to do that. I am hoping us writing directly to the case worker will constitute that avenue.

As to why we were refused to me that isn't clear, they haven't pointed out anything wrong, just that because we could go to Zimbabwe instead of stay in the UK we should. Please see excerpts. And no he hasn't pointed those out other than the £800 or so to do the preparation.

You have a genuine and subsisting relationship with your British partner. We not the points you have raised in your application however the sec of state has not seen any evidence that there are insurmountable obstacles in accordance with..... which means that very significant difficulties which would be faced by you or your partner in continuing family life outside the UK, and continues in the same vein.

Then goes on to private life which again suitability is fine but she fails because she has only lived here for 15 years, then saying how she spent her childhood and most of her adulthood in Zimbabwe. That isn't true, she left Zimbabwe at 20 after 1 year at university after being tear gassed and completed her degree in Brighton and has lived here ever since. She hasn't ever really lived as an adult in Zimababwe. Then goes on about obstacles again.

Exceptional circumstances it says we haven't given them any. But I did in my statement which I don't think they have seen. It then says we shouldn't have trouble finding work. At present she can't work due to crippling back pain, developed as a dementia carer in the UK and anyway currently a primary school teachers salary in Zimbabwe is worth approximately $36US per month. I am 56, I just wouldn't get a job, and don't want to stop paying my UK pension at this stage of my life and or leave my job and house I have lived in my whole adult life. Our standard of living would go from good to below poverty and we are both also asthmatic and would be unable to afford inhalers to continue normal life and indeed could become life threatening.

Then there is a bit saying it is certified because the human rights claim is clearly unfounded.

So to be honest I have absolutely no idea why it was refused after reading it, My fer is they haven't had all the facts and I don't understand why we weren't interviewed or had a home visit. I just don't understand what has happened.

trevor-austin
Newly Registered

Post by trevor-austin » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:46 pm

Zerubbabel wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:04 pm
Casa wrote:
The HO 'help' line is outsourced to any agency, with call centre staff who have very limited knowledge on the Immigration Rules, even on the simplest of issues and frequently give incorrect advice.
I confirm that. Even the simplest queries are given answers very close to fantasy.

For the OP. please don't worry. I know it's easy to say that but I can't tell you myself how many times I received letters asking me to leave the country immediately. This happened in multiple countries and I now have 3 citizenships :)

I don't know about any judge in this country that would require the police to forcibly remove a women involved in a bona fide marriage. The case was made complex by the fact that she had a partner before and got a residence based on that relationship and now she is in a different relationship. Socially, there is no issue with that but when it comes to visas and residence, it's a complication factor.

What are the reasons stated in the refusal letter? They always say why they refused. This is usually a good start to see how to go forward.
Thank you, responded above.

trevor-austin
Newly Registered

Post by trevor-austin » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:52 pm

The actual refusal paragraph is;

The refusal Paragraph is worded;
In light of the above your application is refused under paragraph D-L TRP1.3 with reference to paragraph R-LTRP.1.1(d)(ii) and (iii) of Appendix FM, and under paragraph 276CE with reference to paragraph 276ADE(1)(iii), (iv), (v) and (vi) of the immigration rules. Accordingly, you do not qualify for leave to remain under the 10-year route of Appendix FM, or the private life route of part 7 of the immigration rules.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:08 pm

I understand you want to write to the case worker and plead further with him about your case.

However, even if it seems the right thing to do on a personal level, it's not productive to do it this way. The Home Office is a very formal institution and any move you do, has to be within a clear legal framework to have any effect or validity. Writing a letter to the case worker is not an appeal and I don't want you to miss appeal window and opportunity.

So to summarize, there is no explicitly stated reason for refusal other than: Go together to live in Zimbabwe, we don't see any insurmountable obstacle against that.

trevor-austin
Newly Registered

Post by trevor-austin » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:18 pm

Zerubbabel wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:08 pm
I understand you want to write to the case worker and plead further with him about your case.

However, even if it seems the right thing to do on a personal level, it's not productive to do it this way. The Home Office is a very formal institution and any move you do, has to be within a clear legal framework to have any effect or validity. Writing a letter to the case worker is not an appeal and I don't want you to miss appeal window and opportunity.

So to summarize, there is no explicitly stated reason for refusal other than: Go together to live in Zimbabwe, we don't see any insurmountable obstacle against that.
Hi yes, that is it exactly, there is no reason not to live in the UK, but neither is there one not to go to Zimbabwe so do that.

And I agree about missing any windows.

So that section that reads,

"If you think there are reasons why we should allow you to stay in the United Kingdom you must tell us now. Instructions on how to do this are int eh 'next steps' section of this letter. What should I do, there aren't any instructions other than on how to leave and we have no right of appeal as it is certified.

And of course there are insurmountable obstacles against going to Zimbabwe, violence, crime, zero job opportunities, prejudice, it is stage 2 be wary on the home office on travel guide. And they don't seem to have taken any of this in to account.

In addition they seem to have ignored we are married, not once do they mention the marriage, just new partner. Almost like they have completely missed it.

trevor-austin
Newly Registered

Post by trevor-austin » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:29 pm

Correcting myself, in the next steps is this;

If you think there are other reasons why we should allow you to stay in the UK

If you think you have a legitimate reason to stay in the UK you need to make an application to stay. Details of how to apply can be found on the immigration pages of www.gov.uk

If you do not tell us as soon as you can of any reasons why you should be allowed to stay and you apply later you may lose any right of appeal against a refusal of that application.

To me that sort of sounds like there is a backdoor way to appeal but it is hidden in their immigration web pages and I can't find it. Or are they saying we should look for a different visa and apply for that instead?

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:15 pm

Just going to throw this out there - by 'insurmountable obstacles' they essentially mean you would need an asylum claim to be legitimate in the UK, ie your life is at risk because you would be targeted specifically in the other country. I am sympathetic of not wanting to move out of the UK, but what they mean is not 'it would be inconvenient' which is obvious, but that your lives are at risk/ it would be impossible.

trevor-austin
Newly Registered

Post by trevor-austin » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:14 pm

physicskate wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:15 pm
Just going to throw this out there - by 'insurmountable obstacles' they essentially mean you would need an asylum claim to be legitimate in the UK, ie your life is at risk because you would be targeted specifically in the other country. I am sympathetic of not wanting to move out of the UK, but what they mean is not 'it would be inconvenient' which is obvious, but that your lives are at risk/ it would be impossible.
And I understand that, but why can I not just live in my birth country with my wife like 10s of 1000s of other people do. I just don't understand what the issue is. There are 2 other people at work who married foreign spouses and have no issues living in the UK with them.

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:31 pm

There is another option, although it may not be your preference. Assuming you meet the minimum income level of £18,600 p.a., your wife could return to her home country and apply for a spouse settlement visa to enable her to return to the UK and follow the 5 year route (2.5 x 2.5) to settlement.

On another point, did your legal advisor submit a FLR(FP) Partner route application :?:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

trevor-austin
Newly Registered

Post by trevor-austin » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:06 pm

Casa wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:31 pm
There is another option, although it may not be your preference. Assuming you meet the minimum income level of £18,600 p.a., your wife could return to her home country and apply for a spouse settlement visa to enable her to return to the UK and follow the 5 year route (2.5 x 2.5) to settlement. I believe that is this one, which can be applied for in and out of country, in 2 weeks we will have lived together for 2 years and married for 1. https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/partner-spouse

On another point, did your legal advisor submit a FLR(FP) Partner route application :?:
Hi, far from our chosen route but we do recognise it as an option, can you see any issues with that being approved and could I do it as a premium, therefore high speed route?
But I did think you could apply for that in country? Income no issue at all.

And yes that is indeed what he applied for, the same as her previous one that expired in December with her previous partner.

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:33 pm

If you are able to meet all the conditions for the Spouse Settlement visa, the previous refusal shouldn't have any bearing on the decision. You aren't able to apply for this from within the UK.

JR is a very long and expensive process, with no guarantee of success. A Spouse visa application submitted outside of the UK on the other hand, should take 12 weeks or so to process.

Has your Solicitor explained why he isn't submitting a Pre-Action Protocol (PAP) letter before proceeding to a JR?
If you choose not to follow the Protocol prior to the Judicial Review, you can be made to pay your own and the other sides’ (Home Office) legal costs, even if you win the case. :idea:

PAP template letter:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ial-review
(Casa, not CR001)

trevor-austin
Newly Registered

Post by trevor-austin » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:45 pm

Casa wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:33 pm
If you are able to meet all the conditions for the Spouse Settlement visa, the previous refusal shouldn't have any bearing on the decision. You aren't able to apply for this from within the UK.

JR is a very long and expensive process, with no guarantee of success. A Spouse visa application submitted outside of the UK on the other hand, should take 12 weeks or so to process.

Has your Solicitor explained why he isn't submitting a Pre-Action Protocol (PAP) letter before proceeding to a JR?
If you choose not to follow the Protocol prior to the Judicial Review, you can be made to pay your own and the other sides’ (Home Office) legal costs, even if you win the case. :idea:

PAP template letter:
Sorry, I have explained badly as I didn't know the term, that is indeed exactly what he is doing. Then making a decision On JR based on any response.

trevor-austin
Newly Registered

Post by trevor-austin » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:32 am

Casa wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:33 pm

PAP template letter:
Is there any chance you could point me to the spouse settlement visa?

Also, any comment on the paragraphs in the refusal telling us to tell them why she should be allowed to stay, but not clear how?

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:48 am

trevor-austin wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:32 am
Also, any comment on the paragraphs in the refusal telling us to tell them why she should be allowed to stay, but not clear how?
Anything you tell them, can be used against you later down the line if it's not well formulated considering existing law, previous cases and procedures in place. If you just go and write she should be allowed to stay for X, Y, Z... they can bounce back and refute your claims easily if they are not written by a seasoned professional.

For me, just as a private individual with some experience in immigration, I think your case is well past the DIY stage. I encourage you to keep asking questions, reading and inquiring about all possible venues, but you quickly need a solicitor specialized in immigration. They are not all good or effective but you need to find a good one asap.

trevor-austin
Newly Registered

Post by trevor-austin » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:59 am

Zerubbabel wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:48 am
trevor-austin wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:32 am
Anything you tell them, can be used against you later down the line if it's not well formulated considering existing law, previous cases and procedures in place. If you just go and write she should be allowed to stay for X, Y, Z... they can bounce back and refute your claims easily if they are not written by a seasoned professional.

For me, just as a private individual with some experience in immigration, I think your case is well past the DIY stage. I encourage you to keep asking questions, reading and inquiring about all possible venues, but you quickly need a solicitor specialized in immigration. They are not all good or effective but you need to find a good one asap.
Hi and thanks, we do already have one and he applied for the FLR FP visa which was refused. I believe we should have , and should now be, applying for the FLR-M visa from within the UK as my wife is on Immigration bail, we qualify twice for that visa, in that we have lived together for 2 years AND are married in the UK with home office approval.
We are going to see him on Monday and ask why he believes a JR route will be better than just applying for the visa I think we should have already applied for. It seems simple, we are a married couple, living together for 2 years all the rules for the FLR M visa are met and we are in a legal position to apply from within the UK. I don't actually understand what they could refuse it on unless they question our marriage validity, but I just don't think that will happen we have so much proof and would both easily pass any test given.

THO
- thin ice -
Vietnam

Post by THO » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:02 pm

Trevor,
When mine and my now wife's marriage visitor visa got turned down, with no right to appeal or judicial review, I ignored that and went to my MP. He raised it with the HO, through channels we can't use. She was in VN when we applied though.

I also took a second direct complaint route. Not an appeal or request for judicial review, but I did my own Pre-action Protocol. I formally asked them to justify their stance, and threatening them that, there was no reason to re-apply as I could not give any more evidence, that I had more than surpassed the required level of proof etc, so my next recourse is court action if you don't overturn the decision. I could let you have the email address I used if you pm me, if you want.

It's so bloody frustrating that the HO don't talk to anyone, and everything takes an age to do, when it could be sorted in just a few minutes. But, my MP was helpful. Good luck.

trevor-austin
Newly Registered

Post by trevor-austin » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:49 pm

THO wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:02 pm
Trevor,
When mine and my now wife's marriage visitor visa got turned down, with no right to appeal or judicial review, I ignored that and went to my MP. He raised it with the HO, through channels we can't use. She was in VN when we applied though.

I also took a second direct complaint route. Not an appeal or request for judicial review, but I did my own Pre-action Protocol. I formally asked them to justify their stance, and threatening them that, there was no reason to re-apply as I could not give any more evidence, that I had more than surpassed the required level of proof etc, so my next recourse is court action if you don't overturn the decision. I could let you have the email address I used if you pm me, if you want.

It's so bloody frustrating that the HO don't talk to anyone, and everything takes an age to do, when it could be sorted in just a few minutes. But, my MP was helpful. Good luck.
Thanks loads, encouraging that everybody seems to have won in the end. Personally I am convinced we have applied for the wrong visa and they probably correctly turned it down. I think if we do the marriage visa route we can actually give a LOT more evidence of both why we should be in the UK and not in Zimbabwe. If that should get turned down I will definitely take your approach, it is so ridiculous when my wife is even allowed to vote, and indeed voted for our MP! that there is even any question about it.

THO
- thin ice -
Vietnam

Post by THO » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:21 pm

Well, it should be my given right to marry and live with anyone I choose, obvious exceptions granted, as I am 100% British, it should be a fairly simple formality. My human right to be with a girl I met in Germany.
What the HO don't seem to take into consideration is what would be in it for me if it was a SCAM marriage? They keep trying to find any stupid thing they can to refuse. They just got back to us today and want my unaudited accounts for 2018-19 year. But since I don't use an accountant as my accounts are simple, I had to spend ages putting the numbers together, and I really don't see how much I spend on travel is relevant to this at all! My tax return shows I earn a lot more than I need.
I read on here so many people who have just arrived themselves who are able to meet someone twice, and then get married within a year, and bring their wives in, because it's in their culture.

trevor-austin
Newly Registered

Post by trevor-austin » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:13 pm

THO wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:21 pm
Well, it should be my given right to marry and live with anyone I choose, obvious exceptions granted, as I am 100% British, it should be a fairly simple formality. My human right to be with a girl I met in Germany.
What the HO don't seem to take into consideration is what would be in it for me if it was a SCAM marriage? They keep trying to find any stupid thing they can to refuse. They just got back to us today and want my unaudited accounts for 2018-19 year. But since I don't use an accountant as my accounts are simple, I had to spend ages putting the numbers together, and I really don't see how much I spend on travel is relevant to this at all! My tax return shows I earn a lot more than I need.
I read on here so many people who have just arrived themselves who are able to meet someone twice, and then get married within a year, and bring their wives in, because it's in their culture.
Agreed, it is disgraceful, espe ially in our case when the home office already approved of us getting married in the UK. How can they then let us refuse to live here. As a British citizen I seem to have so many less rights in my own country than some immigrants and certainly ANY other EU citizen would. I honestly can't make sense of it.

THO
- thin ice -
Vietnam

Post by THO » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:39 am

There is also the money as well, after 2.5 years, we will have to find another £1K+++ whatever they have put it up to, so we can keep living together, and then I really don't know what the final payment is at year 5. It's a tax on my marriage. I have a good mind to see what action can be taken against the HO for this, what I consider to be breach on my human right. What if in 2.5 years, I am just making ends meet, but don't have that money to waste on a visa?
The HO want to see my savings/ income is sufficient, and then grab a load of it so my life is harder.
I feel for you, especially as you are together now. PM me if you can.

trevor-austin
Newly Registered

Post by trevor-austin » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:49 am

THO wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:39 am
There is also the money as well, after 2.5 years, we will have to find another £1K+++ whatever they have put it up to, so we can keep living together, and then I really don't know what the final payment is at year 5. It's a tax on my marriage. I have a good mind to see what action can be taken against the HO for this, what I consider to be breach on my human right. What if in 2.5 years, I am just making ends meet, but don't have that money to waste on a visa?
The HO want to see my savings/ income is sufficient, and then grab a load of it so my life is harder.
I feel for you, especially as you are together now. PM me if you can.
I don't seem to have the ability to PM, maybe not enough posts or time on the board yet, are you able to PM me?

It is a horrific situation, I got divorced, married and applied for a completely wasted visa application last year, you can imagine the mess my finances got in! Luckily my Ex was amazing about it. What is even worse is that if I was a French or German working in the UK as part of the EU I can apply for an EU settlement Visa for free! The only people that can't apply is British Citizens living in Britain, how on earth is that not a human rights violation.
We've been together 2 years and are completely dependent on each other we literally don't do anything apart, so the thought of a forced separation is utterly sickening. We just aren't long distance relationship people, I know it works for some, but it would be unbearable for us.
I do think though we applied for the wrong visa and should have gone for the FLR(M) so when I see my solicitor monday, unless he has an extremely strong argument for the JR route that is what we'll be doing, but means finding thousands more for the various fees. We easily meet all the criteria for the FLR(M) but that doesn't mean I have unlimited money, just that we have a nice lifestyle, and all these costs are bleeding me dry!