ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA family permit(unmarried partner)(EFM application)enquiry

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Chimenglao
Newly Registered
Macau

EEA family permit(unmarried partner)(EFM application)enquiry

Post by Chimenglao » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:57 am

Hello, everyone

My name is Chi and I am a Chinese, and currently, I have successfully received an EEA family permit as an extended family member(unmarried partner), and my unmarried partner is an Italian who was working in the UK when we applied for the EEA family permit.

So, there are some questions I couldn't find any information

1. Do I have the right to work during those six months as a holder of EEA family permit(unmarried partner)?

2. She is going to quit her job in July and then starts her university in September, but at this moment I am not in the UK, so we will apply for the EFM application and residence card after September, in this case, can I apply for the residence card due to the fact that she will become a student and I am just an unmarried partner?

Thank you in advance for all your help and answers.

kamoe

Re: EEA family permit(unmarried partner)(EFM application)enquiry

Post by kamoe » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:54 pm

Chimenglao wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:57 am
1. Do I have the right to work during those six months as a holder of EEA family permit(unmarried partner)?
You have the right to work as long as she is exercising treaty rights. Please note that for students, a comprehensive sickness insurance is necessary, pg. 36, otherwise she will break her Qualified Person status, and legally, you loose your right to work. You do not need to reapply for a family permit once she has quit her job, if at all you are in the UK and want to work during her employment gap, but for the purposes of avoiding any issues in your residence card application, a good idea would be to acquire adequate insurance that covers that period.
2. She is going to quit her job in July and then starts her university in September, but at this moment I am not in the UK, so we will apply for the EFM application and residence card after September, in this case, can I apply for the residence card due to the fact that she will become a student and I am just an unmarried partner?
You can, as long as comprehensive sickness insurance is supplied.

Please note that as a first-time unmarried partner applicant without already a EEA biometric residence card you cannot apply for Pre-Settled status yet, you need to apply under the old EEA route first. Then, once you have the EEA RC you can apply for Pre-Settled status.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

Chimenglao
Newly Registered
Macau

Re: EEA family permit(unmarried partner)(EFM application)enquiry

Post by Chimenglao » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:54 pm

Thanks a lot for your kind reply, regarding your suggestions
1. do you mean that it is better to ask her to buy the insurance before quitting her job? In order to cover the gap between quitting job at the end of July and starting her study in September?

2. As my extended family permit lasts from 20/06/2019 to 20/12/2019, when should I apply for the residence card? Immediately? We have been advised by an immigration advisor, she said that I have to stay at least 6 months to be eligible before applying for RC, is that true? And also the advisor said that I can apply for RC from those 28 days before the expiry date of my family permit,, but I cant find any information about this, Please help me:(

Thank you