ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

POLL: Have you travelled abroad in the 12 months prior to your naturalisation application

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Have you travelled abroad in the 12 months prior to your citizenship application

Yes I have travelled abroad
77%
No I haven't
23%

Total votes: 53

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

POLL: Have you travelled abroad in the 12 months prior to your naturalisation application

Post by littlerr » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:33 am

This is for those who has or had filed a naturalisation application regardless of the outcome.

To clarify, this excludes travelling between ROI and NI (as no passport info is passed onto authorities, so even if you travelled nobody would have known).

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Re: POLL: Have you travelled abroad in the 12 months prior to your naturalisation application

Post by littlerr » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:45 am

Some preliminary results show that the vast majority of applicants do travel abroad (which makes perfect sense).

Please give the post a bump when the topic is still hot, as voting would not automatically send the post to the top.

Sazhar
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Re: POLL: Have you travelled abroad in the 12 months prior to your naturalisation application

Post by Sazhar » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:42 pm

I applied in January 2017. Its already too long & i guess i will have to wait even more :(

South African spouse
South Africa

Post by South African spouse » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:04 pm

Sazhar wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:42 pm
I applied in January 2017. Its already too long & i guess i will have to wait even more :(
I haven't travelled abroad in th 2 years previous to my application I've applied in February 2019

Dubman
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Dubman » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:15 pm

Yes, I went for holiday last year 2018 in Sept for a month and I have applied in March 2019.

Bippin
Malaysia

Post by Bippin » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:31 pm

No, I haven’t. As when I read the guidance it seem doesn’t clear for me so we decided to stay put until I filed my app on May

Carensza
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Carensza » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:08 pm

This ruling is kinda confusing for me as I've applied from NI so outside of ROI but still on the island of Ireland, does that count as abroad now?

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:20 pm

Carensza wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:08 pm
This ruling is kinda confusing for me as I've applied from NI so outside of ROI but still on the island of Ireland, does that count as abroad now?
To be honest I don’t think the judge himself had understood the knock on effect when he made the judgment. The current ruling will place applications from NI in an awkward situation. If the current ruling stands (which we don’t expect it to be), the justice department will have to explain how continuous residency is defined for applicants in NI.

Jordans
Ireland

Post by Jordans » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:30 pm

We have travelled throughout all 5 years' residence in Ireland including those 6 weeks prior to applying and we are not going to cancel the upcoming family visit.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:45 pm

littlerr wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:20 pm
Carensza wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:08 pm
To be honest I don’t think the judge himself had understood the knock on effect when he made the judgment. The current ruling will place applications from NI in an awkward situation. If the current ruling stands (which we don’t expect it to be), the justice department will have to explain how continuous residency is defined for applicants in NI.
The law is very clear, unlike people applying under the 5 years route who are required to be in the state, the spouse of an Irish citizen only needs to be in the island of Ireland , therefore they will be fine if they are anywhere in the 26 counties in that 12months. The judge did not deal with that aspect at all, as ir had no relevance to the matter he was called to adjudicate upon.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

masterboy123
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by masterboy123 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:21 am

So far 75% of people have travelled in the last 1 year.